Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

brevis/longus tendonitis and PF

Posted by David M on 1/01/02 at 19:32 (068390)

Hi,
I'm a 39yo triathlete making a comeback after 6 years off.
Several weeks ago I did a half ironman event and got tendonitis in the area of the brevis and longus on the outside of the foot from the ankle towards the metatarsal of the small toe.
This appeared to be caused by a numb foot when I got off the bike to run. The ball of the foot was very numb and I basically had no feeling throughout the 21Km run. Further self assessment has revealed that this foot numbness may by Plantar Fasciitis. Basically I'm not game to run at the moment, and long cycling sessions causes a flare up of the condition.

My question is, how is cycling causing me Plantar problems when it isn;t weight bearing? Any suggested fixes?

I'm going to a podiatrist in 2 days but I'm not confident they'll know how to fix the cause so it doesn't haunt me agiain in future training/racing.

Re: brevis/longus tendonitis and PF

BG CPed on 1/02/02 at 20:24 (068473)

Im not a doc just a smarter than average shoe cobbler. It seems that the cycling is causing it. Your symptoms location doesnt sound like pf, that is usually at back of arch/front of heel or close to under the heel. If pain is outside lateral aspect as you described and the foot goes numb you may want to have your pod evaluate your cycling shoe.

Many times they are very tight and narrow especially thru the mid section and forefoot. Sometimes the hardness of the sole on cyc shoe can cause some numbness also. I would assume for triath you are not wearing socks either,that will create more pressure from toe clip screws and no cushioning.

If you have a wider foot or high instep that can also take up more room in shoe. The outside border at base of 5th met is very inflexible and sensitive to pressure. I would try a different shoe or even a cross trainer and ride a few miles to see if it fires up or takes longer into ride to respond. shoes may need to be larger or different model, maybe need to get a custom or off shelf insert to balance foot in shoe.

A good cycle fitter can do a stance balance on your bike and also see if your leg alignment is off. There is a newer shoe by Shimano that was supposed to have some extra correction and support. It was a good idea on the right foot but BAD for other types. Unfortunatly most shop employess dont know enough to evaluate properly. I also read an article by a phd in biomech that helped desigh the shoe %95 was correct but he made a glaring error on one point regarding medial knee pain and varus posting the shoe

good luck

David M on 1/03/02 at 00:11 (068504)

Thanks for the input BG,
It's always difficult to get all the info in a post so let me add this:
Yes, I'm not certain it is PF, but I can't figure what else it might be.
Yes, taking the bike shoes with me to the podiatrist, and running and work...
I wear, and was wearing socks (fairly thick), as 90K on the bike and 21 K running invites blisters. Thick socks used as I slide forward in my running shoes down hills and had plenty of hills in the 2 half IM races I did.
I actuall feel that my foot is narrow and that the bike shoe might be too wide for my foot. I also suspect the sole is just too flat for the arch in my foot.

BG CPed on 1/02/02 at 20:24 (068473)

Im not a doc just a smarter than average shoe cobbler. It seems that the cycling is causing it. Your symptoms location doesnt sound like pf, that is usually at back of arch/front of heel or close to under the heel. If pain is outside lateral aspect as you described and the foot goes numb you may want to have your pod evaluate your cycling shoe.

Many times they are very tight and narrow especially thru the mid section and forefoot. Sometimes the hardness of the sole on cyc shoe can cause some numbness also. I would assume for triath you are not wearing socks either,that will create more pressure from toe clip screws and no cushioning.

If you have a wider foot or high instep that can also take up more room in shoe. The outside border at base of 5th met is very inflexible and sensitive to pressure. I would try a different shoe or even a cross trainer and ride a few miles to see if it fires up or takes longer into ride to respond. shoes may need to be larger or different model, maybe need to get a custom or off shelf insert to balance foot in shoe.

A good cycle fitter can do a stance balance on your bike and also see if your leg alignment is off. There is a newer shoe by Shimano that was supposed to have some extra correction and support. It was a good idea on the right foot but BAD for other types. Unfortunatly most shop employess dont know enough to evaluate properly. I also read an article by a phd in biomech that helped desigh the shoe %95 was correct but he made a glaring error on one point regarding medial knee pain and varus posting the shoe

good luck

David M on 1/03/02 at 00:11 (068504)

Thanks for the input BG,
It's always difficult to get all the info in a post so let me add this:
Yes, I'm not certain it is PF, but I can't figure what else it might be.
Yes, taking the bike shoes with me to the podiatrist, and running and work...
I wear, and was wearing socks (fairly thick), as 90K on the bike and 21 K running invites blisters. Thick socks used as I slide forward in my running shoes down hills and had plenty of hills in the 2 half IM races I did.
I actuall feel that my foot is narrow and that the bike shoe might be too wide for my foot. I also suspect the sole is just too flat for the arch in my foot.