Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'M NOT NORMAL!!

Posted by Necee on 1/01/02 at 23:17 (068406)

I know that I'm not normal. I've never had a headache in my entire life. Not one, ever. But I do get lower backaches when I get stressed, upset or nervous. I wish I understood why. Is there anyone else who has this problem (can't really call it a problem, its not a problem.)
Happy Trails....
Necee

Re: actually, perhaps quite normal

elliott on 1/01/02 at 23:42 (068409)

There happens to be a collection of books written by one John Sarno, who claims that just about all the pain in your lower back and other locations is the result of your own mental anguish, and if you can just manage to overcome that, all the pain will go away. He takes it so far as to claim that his method works even if you have something diagnosable, such as a bulging disc producing sciatica (hey, that's what I have!). I've seen Web discussions on his books, with opinions ranging from 'they're the greatest thing around and after reading them I got totally cured' to 'hogwash; I can control my mental anguish from here to eternity, but it's not going to get that bulging disc off my sciatic nerve.' I won't say which group I'm in. :-)

In your case, you're starting with a self-acknowledgment that your pain comes from stress, so maybe those books are worth a try. Here's a link to them, with descriptions and reviews, as carried by Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/103-8294209-2582247

----

Re: oops; link not normal :-)

elliott on 1/01/02 at 23:47 (068410)

Go to

http://www.amazon.com

and type in the word

sarno

in the blank search box at left. That will bring up his books.

Re: back pain and stress

Carole C on 1/02/02 at 08:36 (068425)

I'm not sure but maybe my ex had this same thing. See what you think:

My ex used to get lower backaches and felt extremely stressed and depressed at the same time as the backaches. I don't know if the stress caused the backaches, or the backaches caused the stress. It did seem to me that the stress would build up for a few days first and then he'd start having back pain. So that would lead me to believe that either all of this is part of the same process, or else the backaches resulted from the stress.

He felt like he had 'thrown his back out' when this happened, but it wasn't like he was doing anything special to throw it out; he could be just lifting a pencil when it happened. He found that a good chiropractor could do MIRACLES in helping his back, though. It wasn't immediate, but it would get him out of this pit of depression/stress and hurting back.

His chiropractor also regularly treated one of the top ten college football teams at the time, and he was kind of a miracle worker to begin with. Not just any old chiropractor could help, but this one really did. Anyway, maybe if you can find an excellent chiropractor that might get rid of the pain. Also massage may help quite a bit.

Carole C

Re: To: Elliot and Carole

Necee on 1/02/02 at 17:37 (068465)

Thanks Elliot for the info on the books, I had no idea that there were books published on this topic. I'll just have to read more about it.

And to Carole, I don't have a problem with depression at all. And my back never feels like it's been thrown out, I just get this lower backache when upset or stressed.
Thanks for your thoughts,
Happy Trails...
Necee

John h on 1/03/02 at 19:50 (068591)

stress is a sure fire way to bring on a back ache or neck ache. stress causes the muscles to contract and if you have a tendancy to back or neck problems you can bet stress is going to make the situation worse.

Necee on 1/04/02 at 23:52 (068784)

Well John I know your right. Thats why I spend a lot of time on this website, no stress here just good friends.
Happy Trails...
Necee

Re: actually, perhaps quite normal

elliott on 1/01/02 at 23:42 (068409)

There happens to be a collection of books written by one John Sarno, who claims that just about all the pain in your lower back and other locations is the result of your own mental anguish, and if you can just manage to overcome that, all the pain will go away. He takes it so far as to claim that his method works even if you have something diagnosable, such as a bulging disc producing sciatica (hey, that's what I have!). I've seen Web discussions on his books, with opinions ranging from 'they're the greatest thing around and after reading them I got totally cured' to 'hogwash; I can control my mental anguish from here to eternity, but it's not going to get that bulging disc off my sciatic nerve.' I won't say which group I'm in. :-)

In your case, you're starting with a self-acknowledgment that your pain comes from stress, so maybe those books are worth a try. Here's a link to them, with descriptions and reviews, as carried by Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/103-8294209-2582247

----

Re: oops; link not normal :-)

elliott on 1/01/02 at 23:47 (068410)

Go to

http://www.amazon.com

and type in the word

sarno

in the blank search box at left. That will bring up his books.

Carole C on 1/02/02 at 08:36 (068425)

I'm not sure but maybe my ex had this same thing. See what you think:

My ex used to get lower backaches and felt extremely stressed and depressed at the same time as the backaches. I don't know if the stress caused the backaches, or the backaches caused the stress. It did seem to me that the stress would build up for a few days first and then he'd start having back pain. So that would lead me to believe that either all of this is part of the same process, or else the backaches resulted from the stress.

He felt like he had 'thrown his back out' when this happened, but it wasn't like he was doing anything special to throw it out; he could be just lifting a pencil when it happened. He found that a good chiropractor could do MIRACLES in helping his back, though. It wasn't immediate, but it would get him out of this pit of depression/stress and hurting back.

His chiropractor also regularly treated one of the top ten college football teams at the time, and he was kind of a miracle worker to begin with. Not just any old chiropractor could help, but this one really did. Anyway, maybe if you can find an excellent chiropractor that might get rid of the pain. Also massage may help quite a bit.

Carole C

Re: To: Elliot and Carole

Necee on 1/02/02 at 17:37 (068465)

Thanks Elliot for the info on the books, I had no idea that there were books published on this topic. I'll just have to read more about it.

And to Carole, I don't have a problem with depression at all. And my back never feels like it's been thrown out, I just get this lower backache when upset or stressed.
Thanks for your thoughts,
Happy Trails...
Necee

John h on 1/03/02 at 19:50 (068591)

stress is a sure fire way to bring on a back ache or neck ache. stress causes the muscles to contract and if you have a tendancy to back or neck problems you can bet stress is going to make the situation worse.

Necee on 1/04/02 at 23:52 (068784)

Well John I know your right. Thats why I spend a lot of time on this website, no stress here just good friends.
Happy Trails...
Necee