Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Woo Hoo...its snowing!!!

Posted by Richard, C.Ped on 1/02/02 at 12:03 (068438)

Sorry...Just a Southern boy excited to see snow!!!
Richard

Re: Woo Hoo...its snowing!!!

Carole C on 1/02/02 at 12:40 (068440)

Oh you lucky!!!!!!! It snowed to the west of New Orleans (Lafayette), to the north of New Orleans (Baton Rouge and Hammond), to the east of New Orleans (Gulf Coast of MS and AL), but did it snow here in the New Orleans area? NOPE It was 34 degrees and *raining* when the alarm went off at 5:30 this morning.

Tonight we are supposed to have a hard freeze, down in the mid-20's, but the precipitation has stopped so no snow.

Enjoy the snow! I'll bet it's beautiful.

Carole C

JudyS on 1/02/02 at 13:55 (068445)

Ah Richard I'm so envious! Every now and then this mid-western born SoCal lady needs a snow fix! Go make a snow angel....

nancy s. on 1/02/02 at 14:02 (068448)

oh you funny people! so you want snow, eh? come on up!
actually, we haven't been inundated yet. every day that i wake up to another cold but sunny day without snow, i go 'Woo Hoo' too.
be sure to send you me your addresses so i can FedEx you some snow when you're low on it.
nancy

Nancy N on 1/02/02 at 14:56 (068450)

I am with you on the snow, Nancy! Last year by this time we had 14 inches of the stuff, and I took Judy up on her suggestion that I go out and make her a snow angel on the front lawn (no idea what the neighbors thought, but I don't really care!). I know it's inevitable (not as much in NJ as in Maine, of course) but I am not looking forward to it. It's a shame, I used to love it when I was a kid... and then I had to learn to drive in it. Killed the whole thing for me, right there.

Carole C on 1/02/02 at 15:00 (068451)

Maybe that's why the thought of snow seems so wonderful to me! I never learned to drive in it. :)

Carole C

Nancy N on 1/02/02 at 15:08 (068452)

Yeah, that must be it--I think the stuff is beautiful as long as I'm inside, or even outside as long as I'm not trying to walk on the slippery stuff or drive in it. Making snow angels, having snowball fights, or even just sitting inside with a cup of hot cocoa watching it fall--that stuff is great. But driving on it is a nightmare, and there are only two types of snow drivers--the ones like me that are terrified (and therefore should not be on the road), and the ones who have their big SUVs and think they're invincible (and therefore should not be on the road).

Wendy will probably tell us that there are plenty of competent snow drivers in Canada, but we certainly don't have many of them here!

Beverly on 1/02/02 at 16:04 (068457)

It's snowing in North Texas too! Actually, we have flurries, but even that is exciting.

I'm with you, Suzanne, snow is great as long as it's out the window and not under your tires. Like most southerners, I don't know how to drive in snow or ice.

Take care,
Beverly

wendyn on 1/02/02 at 16:23 (068460)

Nancy - considering I have seen snow storms in May and I have seen them in September (although both rarely) and ALL the months in between....you just have to get used to driving in snow here.

Although there are always the idiots with the SUV's who end up in the ditch.

They are world wide I'm afraid.

Necee on 1/02/02 at 17:39 (068466)

Hey Richard, me and you both!!! I love the snow, something we don't see much of here in Texas, at least where I live. The panhandle always gets it!
Happy Trials..
Necee

nancy s. on 1/02/02 at 20:17 (068472)

no one knows how to drive on snow or ice up here, either, bev. The ones who think they know how are the scariest ones, as nancy n can tell you!
wendy, when i moved to maine (in september 1988) we had a major snowstorm in mid-october. i thought, oh boy, what have i done to myself.
some years haven't been so bad, though.
the worst was the ice storm of 1998. we lost power for nine days -- no heat, no hot water, no lights, nothing. just the wood stove, which kept the house at about 45 degrees. i spent the last couple of days of it curled up in the fetal position on the floor next to the stove. we lost trees, one of which missed the house by about two inches, and we lost about 3,000 branches and limbs! we heard the C-R-A-C-K of breaking trees day and night, every minute or two. it was eerie. the yard was a foot deep with parts of trees. people were still cleaning up from the ice storm two years later.
have some beautiful pics of it all, though. i wouldn't have missed it, i can say now.
nancy

Carole C on 1/02/02 at 21:09 (068480)

Good grief!!!!! That sounds like a disaster movie. It sounds like it was beautiful but I'm glad you survived it.

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/03/02 at 07:45 (068513)

juuudddyyy -- you know where you have an open invitation to visit whenever you long for snow....

nancy s. on 1/03/02 at 07:50 (068514)

thanks carole, it WAS like a disaster movie! thank god i didn't have pf then, because i think i would've broken my neck trying to get around, the few times i did try, that is.
on the other hand, all that anti-inflammatory ice might have speeded up my pf recovery, who knows? would've had to go barefoot to get the benefits, though. sometimes ya can't win!
nancy

Re: We must have had that same storm pattern here in Michigan

Valerie S on 1/03/02 at 08:58 (068522)

but I'm not sure if it was in 1998, or it might have been another year... the leaves still on the trees... all that snow comes out of nowhere... no power, no nothing... it was crazy. The plows aren't ready that early in the year.

Michigan is a great place to live if you want to learn to drive in all kinds of conditions... surrounded by water, you get all kinds of crazy snow and ice to have fun in.

Slow and steady wins the race: three rules I follow:
1. Don't panic
2. Just go at a nice steady pace
3. DON'T hit the brakes!!! (and turn INTO the skid... that's the hard part)

hee hee... and when the parking lot is nice and icy (after the mall is closed of course), go out and do some donuts! It's fun, and it helps you get your 'snowlegs' on.

Funny how people are talking about snow like this is the first winter ever
... remember the blizzard of was it '78 or '79? My mom walked out the front door and disappeared up to her waist. I wanted to go out so bad! We couldn't even see the top of our cars in the driveway... they were gone. I was only little, so the memories are surreal... but it is funny how your thoughts on snow change over the years of living in it.

Happy New Year... much more snow yet to come.
Val.

wendyn on 1/03/02 at 11:08 (068541)

Valerie, as a seasoned snow driver - I think your advice is excellent.

Learning to turn INTO a skid is a big part of regaining control of a sliding vehicle.

I am teaching my 16 year old son to drive (pending the start of drivers ed) and have been enforcing to him to not get in the habit of suddenly applying brakes. Since you can't do it most of the winter, it's important to learn to drive in control, and start braking WELL ahead of time.

Mostly people just need to SLOW DOWN on icy roads.

Most of those caps are just for YOU Elliott.

CatherineL on 1/03/02 at 13:43 (068549)

Hi all,

Sunny Manitoba has become cloudy, cold Manitoba. How 'bout -20. Don't mind the snow, so much as the freezzzzing cold wind!

And... Wendyn, ditto to the 'there are always the idiots with the SUV's who end up in the ditch'

Never fails...

Somehow they don't grasp the idea that '4-wheel drive' on ice, just means twice as many wheels driving towards the ditch.

Catherine

Richard, C.Ped on 1/04/02 at 08:46 (068659)

Well we made Wednesday a half day and took off yesterday. It is very beautiful. My daughter did not know what to think of it, but we got some great pictures. The problem now is ice. It should get to around 40 degrees today, so that should melt away all the yuck from the roads, but they are calling for 18 degrees overnight. Frozen roads again.

Hopefully, since we are a ski shop as well as a pedorthic facility, we will be slammed for a while with rentals and sales. I am sitting here with my right foot in my ski boot and will have the left fitted in a little while. Its time to hit the slopes!!
Richard

Re: Have fun!

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 09:15 (068665)

Lucky you!!! Have fun, Richard! :)

Carole C (in New Orleans, who doesn't ski but it sounds like fun)

JudyS on 1/04/02 at 14:50 (068708)

Ah you're tempting me yet again, my friend! My in-laws just returned from Christmas on the Marsh (you know the place!) complaining about the snowless cold of their holiday. I was envious anyway! I keep telling them about your new adventure so I'm sure you'll have a bunch of my relatives at your door when your grand opening occurs!

Necee on 1/04/02 at 23:49 (068782)

Hey Richard I thought about ya'll when I heard about the record snowfall there. You lucky rascal! And I hardly saw one snowflake!
Happy Trails.....or should I say Happy Slopes....
Necee

Carole C on 1/02/02 at 12:40 (068440)

Oh you lucky!!!!!!! It snowed to the west of New Orleans (Lafayette), to the north of New Orleans (Baton Rouge and Hammond), to the east of New Orleans (Gulf Coast of MS and AL), but did it snow here in the New Orleans area? NOPE It was 34 degrees and *raining* when the alarm went off at 5:30 this morning.

Tonight we are supposed to have a hard freeze, down in the mid-20's, but the precipitation has stopped so no snow.

Enjoy the snow! I'll bet it's beautiful.

Carole C

JudyS on 1/02/02 at 13:55 (068445)

Ah Richard I'm so envious! Every now and then this mid-western born SoCal lady needs a snow fix! Go make a snow angel....

nancy s. on 1/02/02 at 14:02 (068448)

oh you funny people! so you want snow, eh? come on up!
actually, we haven't been inundated yet. every day that i wake up to another cold but sunny day without snow, i go 'Woo Hoo' too.
be sure to send you me your addresses so i can FedEx you some snow when you're low on it.
nancy

Nancy N on 1/02/02 at 14:56 (068450)

I am with you on the snow, Nancy! Last year by this time we had 14 inches of the stuff, and I took Judy up on her suggestion that I go out and make her a snow angel on the front lawn (no idea what the neighbors thought, but I don't really care!). I know it's inevitable (not as much in NJ as in Maine, of course) but I am not looking forward to it. It's a shame, I used to love it when I was a kid... and then I had to learn to drive in it. Killed the whole thing for me, right there.

Carole C on 1/02/02 at 15:00 (068451)

Maybe that's why the thought of snow seems so wonderful to me! I never learned to drive in it. :)

Carole C

Nancy N on 1/02/02 at 15:08 (068452)

Yeah, that must be it--I think the stuff is beautiful as long as I'm inside, or even outside as long as I'm not trying to walk on the slippery stuff or drive in it. Making snow angels, having snowball fights, or even just sitting inside with a cup of hot cocoa watching it fall--that stuff is great. But driving on it is a nightmare, and there are only two types of snow drivers--the ones like me that are terrified (and therefore should not be on the road), and the ones who have their big SUVs and think they're invincible (and therefore should not be on the road).

Wendy will probably tell us that there are plenty of competent snow drivers in Canada, but we certainly don't have many of them here!

Beverly on 1/02/02 at 16:04 (068457)

It's snowing in North Texas too! Actually, we have flurries, but even that is exciting.

I'm with you, Suzanne, snow is great as long as it's out the window and not under your tires. Like most southerners, I don't know how to drive in snow or ice.

Take care,
Beverly

wendyn on 1/02/02 at 16:23 (068460)

Nancy - considering I have seen snow storms in May and I have seen them in September (although both rarely) and ALL the months in between....you just have to get used to driving in snow here.

Although there are always the idiots with the SUV's who end up in the ditch.

They are world wide I'm afraid.

Necee on 1/02/02 at 17:39 (068466)

Hey Richard, me and you both!!! I love the snow, something we don't see much of here in Texas, at least where I live. The panhandle always gets it!
Happy Trials..
Necee

nancy s. on 1/02/02 at 20:17 (068472)

no one knows how to drive on snow or ice up here, either, bev. The ones who think they know how are the scariest ones, as nancy n can tell you!
wendy, when i moved to maine (in september 1988) we had a major snowstorm in mid-october. i thought, oh boy, what have i done to myself.
some years haven't been so bad, though.
the worst was the ice storm of 1998. we lost power for nine days -- no heat, no hot water, no lights, nothing. just the wood stove, which kept the house at about 45 degrees. i spent the last couple of days of it curled up in the fetal position on the floor next to the stove. we lost trees, one of which missed the house by about two inches, and we lost about 3,000 branches and limbs! we heard the C-R-A-C-K of breaking trees day and night, every minute or two. it was eerie. the yard was a foot deep with parts of trees. people were still cleaning up from the ice storm two years later.
have some beautiful pics of it all, though. i wouldn't have missed it, i can say now.
nancy

Carole C on 1/02/02 at 21:09 (068480)

Good grief!!!!! That sounds like a disaster movie. It sounds like it was beautiful but I'm glad you survived it.

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/03/02 at 07:45 (068513)

juuudddyyy -- you know where you have an open invitation to visit whenever you long for snow....

nancy s. on 1/03/02 at 07:50 (068514)

thanks carole, it WAS like a disaster movie! thank god i didn't have pf then, because i think i would've broken my neck trying to get around, the few times i did try, that is.
on the other hand, all that anti-inflammatory ice might have speeded up my pf recovery, who knows? would've had to go barefoot to get the benefits, though. sometimes ya can't win!
nancy

Valerie S on 1/03/02 at 08:58 (068522)

but I'm not sure if it was in 1998, or it might have been another year... the leaves still on the trees... all that snow comes out of nowhere... no power, no nothing... it was crazy. The plows aren't ready that early in the year.

Michigan is a great place to live if you want to learn to drive in all kinds of conditions... surrounded by water, you get all kinds of crazy snow and ice to have fun in.

Slow and steady wins the race: three rules I follow:
1. Don't panic
2. Just go at a nice steady pace
3. DON'T hit the brakes!!! (and turn INTO the skid... that's the hard part)

hee hee... and when the parking lot is nice and icy (after the mall is closed of course), go out and do some donuts! It's fun, and it helps you get your 'snowlegs' on.

Funny how people are talking about snow like this is the first winter ever
... remember the blizzard of was it '78 or '79? My mom walked out the front door and disappeared up to her waist. I wanted to go out so bad! We couldn't even see the top of our cars in the driveway... they were gone. I was only little, so the memories are surreal... but it is funny how your thoughts on snow change over the years of living in it.

Happy New Year... much more snow yet to come.
Val.

wendyn on 1/03/02 at 11:08 (068541)

Valerie, as a seasoned snow driver - I think your advice is excellent.

Learning to turn INTO a skid is a big part of regaining control of a sliding vehicle.

I am teaching my 16 year old son to drive (pending the start of drivers ed) and have been enforcing to him to not get in the habit of suddenly applying brakes. Since you can't do it most of the winter, it's important to learn to drive in control, and start braking WELL ahead of time.

Mostly people just need to SLOW DOWN on icy roads.

Most of those caps are just for YOU Elliott.

CatherineL on 1/03/02 at 13:43 (068549)

Hi all,

Sunny Manitoba has become cloudy, cold Manitoba. How 'bout -20. Don't mind the snow, so much as the freezzzzing cold wind!

And... Wendyn, ditto to the 'there are always the idiots with the SUV's who end up in the ditch'

Never fails...

Somehow they don't grasp the idea that '4-wheel drive' on ice, just means twice as many wheels driving towards the ditch.

Catherine

Richard, C.Ped on 1/04/02 at 08:46 (068659)

Well we made Wednesday a half day and took off yesterday. It is very beautiful. My daughter did not know what to think of it, but we got some great pictures. The problem now is ice. It should get to around 40 degrees today, so that should melt away all the yuck from the roads, but they are calling for 18 degrees overnight. Frozen roads again.

Hopefully, since we are a ski shop as well as a pedorthic facility, we will be slammed for a while with rentals and sales. I am sitting here with my right foot in my ski boot and will have the left fitted in a little while. Its time to hit the slopes!!
Richard

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 09:15 (068665)

Lucky you!!! Have fun, Richard! :)

Carole C (in New Orleans, who doesn't ski but it sounds like fun)

JudyS on 1/04/02 at 14:50 (068708)

Ah you're tempting me yet again, my friend! My in-laws just returned from Christmas on the Marsh (you know the place!) complaining about the snowless cold of their holiday. I was envious anyway! I keep telling them about your new adventure so I'm sure you'll have a bunch of my relatives at your door when your grand opening occurs!

Necee on 1/04/02 at 23:49 (068782)

Hey Richard I thought about ya'll when I heard about the record snowfall there. You lucky rascal! And I hardly saw one snowflake!
Happy Trails.....or should I say Happy Slopes....
Necee