Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Undiagnosable toe pain

Posted by Toni D. on 1/02/02 at 13:57 (068446)

I have had a problem for many years and have consulted about 4 podiatrists with no success. When I walk barefoot or in flat shoes, the 2nd and 3rd toes from my large toe spasm and cause a lot of pain. I feel like if only they could cut the nerve that goes across them. They all say it is not a neuroma. If I try on Bierkenstocks that have a metatarsal bar, the same thing happens. By the way, I live in Florida and can't walk barefoot on the beach. I have also had bunion surgery. Thanks for any help.

Re: Undiagnosable toe pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/02/02 at 22:41 (068495)

It does not really sound like something that should be 'undiagnosable.'
People with bunions often have hypermobile first rays which means that the big toe joint does not firmly contact the ground (not as firmly as it should). As a consequence, a lot of weight bearing pressure is transferred to the 2nd and 3rd 'knuckle' (metatarsophalangeal joints).

Add to the picture a bunionectomy which often shortens the big toe joint causing even more pressure to be transferred to the 2nd and 3rd metatarsophalangeal joints and you have a problem.

Birkenstocks are good products but they are not for everyone. One of the problem areas with Birks is the ridge that runs just behind the toes. That ridge often digs in to the ball of the foot and if it digs into the end of your 2nd and 3rd metatarsophalangeal joints it can cuase pain.

Orthotics, properly, made are usually the best treatment for the problem.
Ed

Re: Undiagnosable toe pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/02/02 at 22:41 (068495)

It does not really sound like something that should be 'undiagnosable.'
People with bunions often have hypermobile first rays which means that the big toe joint does not firmly contact the ground (not as firmly as it should). As a consequence, a lot of weight bearing pressure is transferred to the 2nd and 3rd 'knuckle' (metatarsophalangeal joints).

Add to the picture a bunionectomy which often shortens the big toe joint causing even more pressure to be transferred to the 2nd and 3rd metatarsophalangeal joints and you have a problem.

Birkenstocks are good products but they are not for everyone. One of the problem areas with Birks is the ridge that runs just behind the toes. That ridge often digs in to the ball of the foot and if it digs into the end of your 2nd and 3rd metatarsophalangeal joints it can cuase pain.

Orthotics, properly, made are usually the best treatment for the problem.
Ed