Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

NST and other treatments work?

Posted by Renee H on 1/02/02 at 15:20 (068453)

I keep reading that others have tried NST, electric therapy and different massage / acupressure types of treatments. Do these seem to help? I have PF and TTS, going on 12 months. Orthotics and chiropractor are the only things that have helped me improve. I tried a massage and it really hurt the next day. Physical therapy with ultrasound helped me only a little bit. Also, what exactly is NST?

Any info will help me out.

Thanx - Renee

Re: NST and other treatments work?

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/02/02 at 23:02 (068498)

I have never heard of NST. Where did you hear about it?
Ed

Re: the only one who ever heard about it is Carmen :-) (nm)

elliott on 1/02/02 at 23:29 (068501)

Re: Sitting at a Cyber Cafe

cARMEN h on 1/04/02 at 14:06 (068695)

Here I sit at a Cyber Cafe (my computer is being reworked..what a mess) and checking work messages and thought I would pop on for minute...
NST ( Neurostructural Technique) is a brand new technique and I will have to relate it to massage therapy or rolfing or something in those lines. I have the web site and all kinds of info back at my office at home and can't access it right now but will post info on it tomorrow or soon.
I SWEAR by it for ME....it has not totally fixed the problem but it has totally improved my pain level from a constant 8-10 to a constant 2 or 3. no doubt about it.
But like I say ....it has helped me and may not be for everyone.
Gotta be careful about making claims for 'fix alls' as I am not a doctor.
Ellott....glad you are working out again...belive me I know about those treadmills taunting you.

Renee H on 1/04/02 at 14:51 (068709)

Glad to hear someone knows what NST is. Would love to know more about it or websites to look at. This isn't a electric related therapy is it? More a acupressure / massage thing? I'm game for anything that might help!

Renee H.

Carmen on 1/05/02 at 09:07 (068795)

No...no electrical stuff or injections involved. I hope these sites can help you.....Believe me I was at my wits end when I ran across this as the last ditch chance at getting some relief. My right foot was absolutely cramped and getting worse...I was walking on my toes into the office of the guy who does my NST.
I walked out and the burning stopped completely...the cramp was gone...and my feet have been at a level 2 ever since. I am a true believere in the body's ability to heal itself so I was open minded when I walked in and I think that helps. My therapist is awesome.

http://www.mercola.com/nst/explain.htm

http://www.positivehealth.com/permit/Articles/Bowen/nixon43.htm

http://www.bowen.asn.au/nst.htm

Re: Sitting at a Cyber Cafe--wrestling holds

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/05/02 at 11:19 (068809)

The practitioner in the second reference appears to have one patient in a leg lock and the second patient in a hammerlock.

Jest aside, it really is a hard call to try to evaluate this from the standpoint of conventional medicine. The first thing in medicine is to 'do no harm' so if this technique works for some...go for it....
Ed

Carmen on 1/05/02 at 11:28 (068811)

It hurts less than rolfing, deep tissue massage or any other form of massage I have had...and I have had a lot. There is no pain involved when I have my treatments.
The position you see them in is them lightly holding the persons legs or arms in such a position that the technique they use allows for better circulation to the offending body part. For example if I had carpal tunnel in my wrists (which I had the symptoms of) my NST therapist held my neck in a certain position when he worked on my arm from the shoulder to the hand.....because most pain from carpal tunnel seems to come from a problem with the neck (this has been studied by many conservative docs as well as chiros and massage therapists)as the nerve is compressed in the neck..it can affect the ulnar nerve, median nerve and ultimately the hand feels the sting so to speak.
It is too new to look at from a conservative point of view I agree....just like Chiro, massage therapy etc started out with skepticism I am sure this too will go through the doubtful phase.
All I know is it felt really good while he was doing it and I walked out with less pain than I had in the past 6 months.
You remember all the stuff I was going through from the many times I emailed you at your address and you have always been so helpful.
Well after this treatment and seeing a kinesiologist I have only the mild foot discomfort left. As long as I don't overdo it I stay at a 2...
:-)

Re: NST sounds like SHT :-)

elliott on 1/06/02 at 15:15 (068975)

Sorry, count me among the skeptical ones. But hey, if it helps, or you even think it helps, and then it does, then great.

If the next doc I see at the end of the month doesn't enlighten me on the thing I used to call my right foot, I'm tempted to try ART (boy am I getting desperate :-)). One of the things I have in this foot apparently is a tight abductor pulling on other things. So maybe the hard-pressing ART can help with that. Nothing to lose except money and tears.

----

Carmen on 1/06/02 at 17:37 (068990)

It's as far from SHT as it can be...I promise Elliott. I am not 'thinking' or dreaming it is helping. I was going down hill. Period. (back, feet, nerves in elbows and feet and hands) and I even paid CLOSE attention to how I felt right before the treatment (walking in the office actually) and when I came out I WAS better.....no doubt about it.
I understand skepticism in large doses can be harmful to the body as well as the spirit...so tread carefully...more damage to your feet and sciatic nerve could drive you to drink! and then....what would you do on top of all those meds???
Yikes!
;-)

Re: Elliott BTW

Carmen on 1/06/02 at 17:39 (068991)

What type of stretching do you do?

Re: drinking and stretching

elliott on 1/06/02 at 22:11 (069010)

Don't do them at the same time! :-) I stopped taking meds, so in addition to being depressed, I can now drink if I want to. :-)

Carmen, it still sounds naive to me that a serious ailment can be almost cured after one session of mild massage--unless your ailment was not that serious (and could have been corrected in other simple ways) or was psychological. Regardless, I'm happy you're feeling better and I wish I had something to sell you. :-)

Stretching? I do power yoga every day (and once a week in a class). Just bought a stretching rope for sciatica stretches recommended on some chiro site that someone posted here. Last week I started membership in a fitness center, where I intend to go almost every day, weak right foot permitting (not necessarily likely). Don't know the machine's names, but the back-specific ones include leaning back on a moving weighted bar, leaning forward on a moving weighted bar, incline bench, raised body leg lifts, stability ball. I try to do these very session. No interest in bulking up, but for tone I do some of the other weight machines for upper body and legs (can't hurt, and you can't do just back/abs the whole time). Do the stationary cycle, as well as the elliptical, but I think that right foot pays for it the next day. I'll give this routine a few months and we'll see. Helps with the depression regardless, because it's doing SOMETHING.

------

wendyn on 1/06/02 at 22:33 (069016)

Elliot - I had the same attitude about acupuncture when I started having it - but I have to say I've seen and felt it work miracles on me.

If it's got true medical merit it will work even if you don't believe it will.

Elliot, you stick with us, and we'll transform you into a

Birkenstock-wearing
Capital-Typing
NST-Belieiving
Non-Skeptical
Hugging
Sensitive dude in no time at all.

Carmen on 1/07/02 at 08:05 (069032)

Elliott Elliott Elliott! You're starting to sound like Lis! 'your ailment was not that serious (and could have been corrected in other simple ways) or was psychological'....Eeeek! Don't scare me like that I know you have a better feel for me than that! ;-)
I tried the simpler ways to no avail. I am not a dumb blonde that buys anything I promise so don't try to sell me anything or you will never get off the phone as I ask you every question in the book about your product and why I should buy it. Heck I haven't even succumbed to any of the 'hype' for cure alls....I have followed basic conservative pod orders and nothing has worked....until this. It's hard to explain but it's not gentle massage. It's more complex than that and it depends on your therapist technique as well.

I haven't been able to do the staionary bike or elliptical...you are lucky. I am glad the exercise helps with depression..I have started some small steps towards ex. too....

Carmen on 1/07/02 at 08:06 (069033)

Wendy...
Your humor is fun! :-)
Thanks for sharing it.

Tammie on 1/07/02 at 09:15 (069042)

Heh You really gave me a nice chuckle after a very long night , Thanks it is nice to see light spirited humor! Very cute Wendyn I love it! The hugging part also !!As seen I have refrained from the hugs so not to offend our strong men here, hehehe.I dont want to chase away the ones with knowledge because I am a sappy woman heheheh! Have a great one today.

Re: I'm glad you and Carmen find that funny

elliott on 1/07/02 at 14:45 (069085)

Here I am with my best wit throughout this thread, and not a single person finds it at all funny. Come Wendy with a semi-cutesy but not really funny post, and the accolades roll. :-)

Carmen on 1/07/02 at 15:55 (069098)

We're keeping you on your toes! Oops...that probably hurts.

Re: Elliott

wendyn on 1/07/02 at 23:33 (069145)

Elliott, apparently humor at your expense is more amusing than your humor itself.

:)

A caps free sentence just for you.

My special little gift.

Re: NST and other treatments work?

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/02/02 at 23:02 (068498)

I have never heard of NST. Where did you hear about it?
Ed

Re: the only one who ever heard about it is Carmen :-) (nm)

elliott on 1/02/02 at 23:29 (068501)

cARMEN h on 1/04/02 at 14:06 (068695)

Here I sit at a Cyber Cafe (my computer is being reworked..what a mess) and checking work messages and thought I would pop on for minute...
NST ( Neurostructural Technique) is a brand new technique and I will have to relate it to massage therapy or rolfing or something in those lines. I have the web site and all kinds of info back at my office at home and can't access it right now but will post info on it tomorrow or soon.
I SWEAR by it for ME....it has not totally fixed the problem but it has totally improved my pain level from a constant 8-10 to a constant 2 or 3. no doubt about it.
But like I say ....it has helped me and may not be for everyone.
Gotta be careful about making claims for 'fix alls' as I am not a doctor.
Ellott....glad you are working out again...belive me I know about those treadmills taunting you.

Renee H on 1/04/02 at 14:51 (068709)

Glad to hear someone knows what NST is. Would love to know more about it or websites to look at. This isn't a electric related therapy is it? More a acupressure / massage thing? I'm game for anything that might help!

Renee H.

Carmen on 1/05/02 at 09:07 (068795)

No...no electrical stuff or injections involved. I hope these sites can help you.....Believe me I was at my wits end when I ran across this as the last ditch chance at getting some relief. My right foot was absolutely cramped and getting worse...I was walking on my toes into the office of the guy who does my NST.
I walked out and the burning stopped completely...the cramp was gone...and my feet have been at a level 2 ever since. I am a true believere in the body's ability to heal itself so I was open minded when I walked in and I think that helps. My therapist is awesome.

http://www.mercola.com/nst/explain.htm

http://www.positivehealth.com/permit/Articles/Bowen/nixon43.htm

http://www.bowen.asn.au/nst.htm

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/05/02 at 11:19 (068809)

The practitioner in the second reference appears to have one patient in a leg lock and the second patient in a hammerlock.

Jest aside, it really is a hard call to try to evaluate this from the standpoint of conventional medicine. The first thing in medicine is to 'do no harm' so if this technique works for some...go for it....
Ed

Carmen on 1/05/02 at 11:28 (068811)

It hurts less than rolfing, deep tissue massage or any other form of massage I have had...and I have had a lot. There is no pain involved when I have my treatments.
The position you see them in is them lightly holding the persons legs or arms in such a position that the technique they use allows for better circulation to the offending body part. For example if I had carpal tunnel in my wrists (which I had the symptoms of) my NST therapist held my neck in a certain position when he worked on my arm from the shoulder to the hand.....because most pain from carpal tunnel seems to come from a problem with the neck (this has been studied by many conservative docs as well as chiros and massage therapists)as the nerve is compressed in the neck..it can affect the ulnar nerve, median nerve and ultimately the hand feels the sting so to speak.
It is too new to look at from a conservative point of view I agree....just like Chiro, massage therapy etc started out with skepticism I am sure this too will go through the doubtful phase.
All I know is it felt really good while he was doing it and I walked out with less pain than I had in the past 6 months.
You remember all the stuff I was going through from the many times I emailed you at your address and you have always been so helpful.
Well after this treatment and seeing a kinesiologist I have only the mild foot discomfort left. As long as I don't overdo it I stay at a 2...
:-)

elliott on 1/06/02 at 15:15 (068975)

Sorry, count me among the skeptical ones. But hey, if it helps, or you even think it helps, and then it does, then great.

If the next doc I see at the end of the month doesn't enlighten me on the thing I used to call my right foot, I'm tempted to try ART (boy am I getting desperate :-)). One of the things I have in this foot apparently is a tight abductor pulling on other things. So maybe the hard-pressing ART can help with that. Nothing to lose except money and tears.

----

Carmen on 1/06/02 at 17:37 (068990)

It's as far from SHT as it can be...I promise Elliott. I am not 'thinking' or dreaming it is helping. I was going down hill. Period. (back, feet, nerves in elbows and feet and hands) and I even paid CLOSE attention to how I felt right before the treatment (walking in the office actually) and when I came out I WAS better.....no doubt about it.
I understand skepticism in large doses can be harmful to the body as well as the spirit...so tread carefully...more damage to your feet and sciatic nerve could drive you to drink! and then....what would you do on top of all those meds???
Yikes!
;-)

Re: Elliott BTW

Carmen on 1/06/02 at 17:39 (068991)

What type of stretching do you do?

elliott on 1/06/02 at 22:11 (069010)

Don't do them at the same time! :-) I stopped taking meds, so in addition to being depressed, I can now drink if I want to. :-)

Carmen, it still sounds naive to me that a serious ailment can be almost cured after one session of mild massage--unless your ailment was not that serious (and could have been corrected in other simple ways) or was psychological. Regardless, I'm happy you're feeling better and I wish I had something to sell you. :-)

Stretching? I do power yoga every day (and once a week in a class). Just bought a stretching rope for sciatica stretches recommended on some chiro site that someone posted here. Last week I started membership in a fitness center, where I intend to go almost every day, weak right foot permitting (not necessarily likely). Don't know the machine's names, but the back-specific ones include leaning back on a moving weighted bar, leaning forward on a moving weighted bar, incline bench, raised body leg lifts, stability ball. I try to do these very session. No interest in bulking up, but for tone I do some of the other weight machines for upper body and legs (can't hurt, and you can't do just back/abs the whole time). Do the stationary cycle, as well as the elliptical, but I think that right foot pays for it the next day. I'll give this routine a few months and we'll see. Helps with the depression regardless, because it's doing SOMETHING.

------

wendyn on 1/06/02 at 22:33 (069016)

Elliot - I had the same attitude about acupuncture when I started having it - but I have to say I've seen and felt it work miracles on me.

If it's got true medical merit it will work even if you don't believe it will.

Elliot, you stick with us, and we'll transform you into a

Birkenstock-wearing
Capital-Typing
NST-Belieiving
Non-Skeptical
Hugging
Sensitive dude in no time at all.

Carmen on 1/07/02 at 08:05 (069032)

Elliott Elliott Elliott! You're starting to sound like Lis! 'your ailment was not that serious (and could have been corrected in other simple ways) or was psychological'....Eeeek! Don't scare me like that I know you have a better feel for me than that! ;-)
I tried the simpler ways to no avail. I am not a dumb blonde that buys anything I promise so don't try to sell me anything or you will never get off the phone as I ask you every question in the book about your product and why I should buy it. Heck I haven't even succumbed to any of the 'hype' for cure alls....I have followed basic conservative pod orders and nothing has worked....until this. It's hard to explain but it's not gentle massage. It's more complex than that and it depends on your therapist technique as well.

I haven't been able to do the staionary bike or elliptical...you are lucky. I am glad the exercise helps with depression..I have started some small steps towards ex. too....

Carmen on 1/07/02 at 08:06 (069033)

Wendy...
Your humor is fun! :-)
Thanks for sharing it.

Tammie on 1/07/02 at 09:15 (069042)

Heh You really gave me a nice chuckle after a very long night , Thanks it is nice to see light spirited humor! Very cute Wendyn I love it! The hugging part also !!As seen I have refrained from the hugs so not to offend our strong men here, hehehe.I dont want to chase away the ones with knowledge because I am a sappy woman heheheh! Have a great one today.

elliott on 1/07/02 at 14:45 (069085)

Here I am with my best wit throughout this thread, and not a single person finds it at all funny. Come Wendy with a semi-cutesy but not really funny post, and the accolades roll. :-)

Carmen on 1/07/02 at 15:55 (069098)

We're keeping you on your toes! Oops...that probably hurts.

Re: Elliott

wendyn on 1/07/02 at 23:33 (069145)

Elliott, apparently humor at your expense is more amusing than your humor itself.

:)

A caps free sentence just for you.

My special little gift.