Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Pain and Leg Pain

Posted by Linda B on 1/02/02 at 21:04 (068478)

I am a nurse and do alot of walking at my job. A few months ago I developed heel pain after wearing a bad pair of sneakers with no arch support (I have high arches). The last couple of months not only am I having excrutiating pain in my heels (mostly left heel) I am having spasms in my legs on and off and pain in my knees. I guess my questions is, can Plantar Fasciitis cause leg pain/knee pain also? I have tried orthotics in my shoes that I wear to work. Also I am not sure if I should consider cortisone injection in my heel.

Re: Heel Pain and Leg Pain

DR Zuckerman on 1/02/02 at 21:06 (068479)

Plantar fasciitis can change the way the entire lower extremity is functioning. Local steriod injections are a very good consideration if you have discrete pin point pain at the insertion of the pf into the bottom
of the heel bone.

Sandra T. on 1/02/02 at 22:38 (068493)

Ugh, I have been trying to avoid steroid injections, but based on Dr. Z's reply to you, that may be my answer,too, although the pain wanders around the heel, but there is definitely a vagabond 'come unglued' spot when pressed. Good luck to you. Nursing and PF are not good companions. Thank goodness I was retired when mine hit. I ponded a lot of floors. Sandra T

DR Zuckerman on 1/02/02 at 21:06 (068479)

Plantar fasciitis can change the way the entire lower extremity is functioning. Local steriod injections are a very good consideration if you have discrete pin point pain at the insertion of the pf into the bottom
of the heel bone.

Sandra T. on 1/02/02 at 22:38 (068493)

Ugh, I have been trying to avoid steroid injections, but based on Dr. Z's reply to you, that may be my answer,too, although the pain wanders around the heel, but there is definitely a vagabond 'come unglued' spot when pressed. Good luck to you. Nursing and PF are not good companions. Thank goodness I was retired when mine hit. I ponded a lot of floors. Sandra T