Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

iontopheresis

Posted by paula on 1/03/02 at 09:51 (068530)

am wondering why so many people keep getting or asking about cortisone shots apparantly without trying cortisone driven in with iontopheresis first. seems like the more conservative approach. had horrible flare of tendonitis and two sessions cleared it up. also when pf flares it clears it up. it helps me to know that is is always an option. i almost never hear about it here. docs, wanta let people know about it again? the risks (as i understand, none) the benifits (as i experienced , great). most physical therapists do it. some better than others. had one who did it with no effect at all. had another who hits the bull's eye every time.

Re: iontopheresis

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/03/02 at 22:04 (068617)

The problem with iontophoresis is that only a very small amount of the active substance penetrates through the skin and penetration depth is very limited. The achilles and back of the heel is covered with thin skin so treatment with iontophoresis is more successful in that area than with plantar fasciitis. The origin of the plantar fascia on the heel bone is very deep and covered with thick skin and an intervening fat pad beneath the heel bone so the amount of penetration of active substance with ionto is minimal.

I have used iontophoresis for over 15 years with moderate success in the back of the heel but very limited succes with plantar fasciitis.

Paula, I am glad that it worked for you but I think you will find that it is of limited benefit for the majority of plantar fasciitis sufferers.
Ed

D.Thomas on 1/04/02 at 10:17 (068670)

Dr. Ed,

Hope you and your family had a happy new year! I was just wondering if you think Iontophresis is better when PF is in the arch area instead of the heel? Although, the relief of pain was very temporary for me with Iontophresis (i.e., only lasted a day that it was done).

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/04/02 at 14:53 (068710)

Thank you. Yes--ionto works better in the arch than in the heel since the fascia tends to run fairly superficial in the arch. The modality does have to be repeated multiple times (as with other PT modalities) in order for the effect to last.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/03/02 at 22:04 (068617)

The problem with iontophoresis is that only a very small amount of the active substance penetrates through the skin and penetration depth is very limited. The achilles and back of the heel is covered with thin skin so treatment with iontophoresis is more successful in that area than with plantar fasciitis. The origin of the plantar fascia on the heel bone is very deep and covered with thick skin and an intervening fat pad beneath the heel bone so the amount of penetration of active substance with ionto is minimal.

I have used iontophoresis for over 15 years with moderate success in the back of the heel but very limited succes with plantar fasciitis.

Paula, I am glad that it worked for you but I think you will find that it is of limited benefit for the majority of plantar fasciitis sufferers.
Ed

D.Thomas on 1/04/02 at 10:17 (068670)

Dr. Ed,

Hope you and your family had a happy new year! I was just wondering if you think Iontophresis is better when PF is in the arch area instead of the heel? Although, the relief of pain was very temporary for me with Iontophresis (i.e., only lasted a day that it was done).

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/04/02 at 14:53 (068710)

Thank you. Yes--ionto works better in the arch than in the heel since the fascia tends to run fairly superficial in the arch. The modality does have to be repeated multiple times (as with other PT modalities) in order for the effect to last.
Ed