Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is PF worse in cold weather?

Posted by JoAnn Fl on 1/03/02 at 13:01 (068548)

I am having much more pain these last few days since the weather has got cold, is this normal? What can we do about it? Thanks

Re: Is PF worse in cold weather?

Valerie S on 1/03/02 at 14:14 (068553)

Hi JoAnn.

In my experience, change in weather can affect injury pain (like where I broke my arm too...), and since PF is an injury... it makes sense.

I know what you are talking about...sometimes the pain can be as biting as the cold.

I have found a magical remedy for myself, purely by accident actually. It may sound silly... but I prop my foot up on my fuzzy pillow. It's a bedpillow really, with a fake fur cover. It feels so good... like a cloud. The only problem is, getting my cat to move over because she thinks it belongs to her...

Not the conventional answer, mind you... but just thought you might like to know what I do for my poor cold feet.

Hopefully you will get some more ideas from the real experts around here. :)

I'm sorry to hear that you are in this pain... hopefully you will find some relief soon. Are you still on your feet all day waitressing? Have you had any luck in your shoe search? I have been thinking about you...

Your friend, Val.

Carole C on 1/03/02 at 15:56 (068566)

Val, I don't think that is silly at all! For some reason, pampering my feet seems to help a lot because it raises my spirits. Now bear in mind that I'm not a person that normally uses scents (frills, lace, scents, ruffles, these are not my style). I never wear perfume or even use perfumed soaps or scented detergents. But Monday I must have lost my mind because I bought a large tube of Night Blooming Jasmine body lotion and it smells soooooo heavenly..... and I've been rubbing it on my feet. It has absolutely nothing in it that should help. But just smelling that wonderful scent and massaging my poor feet feels so good. :)

JoAnn, I don't know if cold makes PF worse. Icing my feet seems to help, so it would only make sense that cold might help too. But sometimes PF can be so mean to us, and can hurt even more when it's not supposed to. I hope you are able to rest your feet some. For me, the best things to help have been my custom orthotics, resting my feet, and doing gentle stretching, in that order. But I've heard that what helps varies according to the person, and even varies in the same person. Of course this site has been a wonderful help when I was in great despair. The people here are truly caring.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/03/02 at 17:25 (068576)

Dear JoAnn,
I was experiencing the same thing you described: more pain and stiffness since our KY weather turned cold. That was particularly dismaying to me as I was out of school for the holidays and expected to feel BETTER not worse!

Then we had a tiny bit of snow a few days ago, and there were some slick spots. I dug out my 'fur' lined boots which I remembered were always too wide in the heel area and used to slip up and down some. My Birkenstock inserts fit nicely in them, and I have been wearing them in this cold. They feel warm and comfortable (Like Valerie's pillow she mentioned!), and the inserts give me support.

I just thought I'd mention my experience for what it is worth!

I hope your feet feel better soon! :-)

JoAnn Fl on 1/03/02 at 17:42 (068579)

Hi Val,
Yes, I'm still on my feet a lot but it didn't seem to bother me as much until this weather change. No luck with any shoes yet either. I did buy a really good pair 2 months ago but now the soles are wearing out already.....just my luck!
JoAnn

Re: What kind of shoes are they?

Valerie S on 1/04/02 at 07:04 (068650)

Hi JoAnn,

When did your PF start again? Forgive me, if you've already told us.

Can the shoes be repaired or re-soled? If they are athletic shoes, probably not... but just wondered because I am an experienced cobbler (although I don't do it anymore). Depending on what type of sole they have, you may be able to have a nonslip rubber sole protector put on the botttom to extend the life of the soles. Unfortunately, athletic shoes are disposable and can't really be revamped properly (that's why Michael Jordan needs a new pair after every game). They, like cars, are made to wear out... and if you wear them on your feet all day every day... well.

Have you looked at the Birkenstocks at all? Of course, they're not right for everyone, but These shoes can go through a resoling before you need to replace the cork footbed (also replaceable, through the manufacturer... the shoe store you buy them from can send them back for you). I have found them to be well worth the money. You can get them with nonslip soles, or you can even have rubber sole protectors put on the bottoms of these (the sole is a soft crepe material and does wear quickly, especially if you scuff at all). Also, if you get lots of wear in a certain spot like the heels, you can get heel protectors put on.

You might take the shoes to a shoe repair and see what they say. Sometimes it can cost, but if the shoes are comfortable, it's usually worth it. I am wondering... have the shoes helped your PF... you say they are really good, but you might want to consider the possibility that the shoes are hurting you... just a thought.

I really hope you can pamper those feet and find some real relief soon. I really know what it's like to have PF and work a standup job. I thought it wasn't so bad and that it would just go away. You say it's not too bad, but make sure you listen to your body. This change for the worse could be related to the cold weather, but make sure you do what you can to take care of it! Don't be like me (I had to leave my job after months of physical and mental turmoil). I don't want to scare you or dramatize... it's just that this can get serious.

Sorry if I am saying too much. It's just that when someone talks about waitressing or a job that keeps them on their feet, I really take notice. You work hard and you need the job, but don't let it be your demise. I say all of these things out of care and concern for a fellow customer service person. Are you working with a doctor to treat this PF?

I wish you the best and very quick relief.

Your friend, Val.

clara on 1/04/02 at 08:36 (068657)

Hi JoAnn! Yes, my opinion is that it feels like chilly wheather can affect PF. My acu´s telling me that it´s VERY important to not be cold, because then the PF can get worse. So I am very careful now when it´s cold outside.
//Clara

JoAnn Fl on 1/04/02 at 23:19 (068779)

The shoes I have are soft spot supremes 'trek' they can not be resoled. My PF stared about a year ago but I found out on sept. 11, the day of the disaster!
Yes, I checked out birkenstock, I have a pair for at home but the sizing seems to be a bit wrong. They also hurt my heels so I use them only as slippers.
The trek shoes must have helped my PF since I don't have as much pain as I used to, I have powersteps in them. But... when I put the powersteps in another shoe my feet hurt more. I have only seen my Dr. twice, the taping helped at first, then I taped in order to walk, I don't tape anymore since I got these shoes I haven't needed it. I don't ice anymore either, an very little excersize. I take IBprofin daily or there is pain. I will more then likey be on my feet for many more years......by necessity.
Thanks for careing.
JoAnn

Valerie S on 1/03/02 at 14:14 (068553)

Hi JoAnn.

In my experience, change in weather can affect injury pain (like where I broke my arm too...), and since PF is an injury... it makes sense.

I know what you are talking about...sometimes the pain can be as biting as the cold.

I have found a magical remedy for myself, purely by accident actually. It may sound silly... but I prop my foot up on my fuzzy pillow. It's a bedpillow really, with a fake fur cover. It feels so good... like a cloud. The only problem is, getting my cat to move over because she thinks it belongs to her...

Not the conventional answer, mind you... but just thought you might like to know what I do for my poor cold feet.

Hopefully you will get some more ideas from the real experts around here. :)

I'm sorry to hear that you are in this pain... hopefully you will find some relief soon. Are you still on your feet all day waitressing? Have you had any luck in your shoe search? I have been thinking about you...

Your friend, Val.

Carole C on 1/03/02 at 15:56 (068566)

Val, I don't think that is silly at all! For some reason, pampering my feet seems to help a lot because it raises my spirits. Now bear in mind that I'm not a person that normally uses scents (frills, lace, scents, ruffles, these are not my style). I never wear perfume or even use perfumed soaps or scented detergents. But Monday I must have lost my mind because I bought a large tube of Night Blooming Jasmine body lotion and it smells soooooo heavenly..... and I've been rubbing it on my feet. It has absolutely nothing in it that should help. But just smelling that wonderful scent and massaging my poor feet feels so good. :)

JoAnn, I don't know if cold makes PF worse. Icing my feet seems to help, so it would only make sense that cold might help too. But sometimes PF can be so mean to us, and can hurt even more when it's not supposed to. I hope you are able to rest your feet some. For me, the best things to help have been my custom orthotics, resting my feet, and doing gentle stretching, in that order. But I've heard that what helps varies according to the person, and even varies in the same person. Of course this site has been a wonderful help when I was in great despair. The people here are truly caring.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/03/02 at 17:25 (068576)

Dear JoAnn,
I was experiencing the same thing you described: more pain and stiffness since our KY weather turned cold. That was particularly dismaying to me as I was out of school for the holidays and expected to feel BETTER not worse!

Then we had a tiny bit of snow a few days ago, and there were some slick spots. I dug out my 'fur' lined boots which I remembered were always too wide in the heel area and used to slip up and down some. My Birkenstock inserts fit nicely in them, and I have been wearing them in this cold. They feel warm and comfortable (Like Valerie's pillow she mentioned!), and the inserts give me support.

I just thought I'd mention my experience for what it is worth!

I hope your feet feel better soon! :-)

JoAnn Fl on 1/03/02 at 17:42 (068579)

Hi Val,
Yes, I'm still on my feet a lot but it didn't seem to bother me as much until this weather change. No luck with any shoes yet either. I did buy a really good pair 2 months ago but now the soles are wearing out already.....just my luck!
JoAnn

Valerie S on 1/04/02 at 07:04 (068650)

Hi JoAnn,

When did your PF start again? Forgive me, if you've already told us.

Can the shoes be repaired or re-soled? If they are athletic shoes, probably not... but just wondered because I am an experienced cobbler (although I don't do it anymore). Depending on what type of sole they have, you may be able to have a nonslip rubber sole protector put on the botttom to extend the life of the soles. Unfortunately, athletic shoes are disposable and can't really be revamped properly (that's why Michael Jordan needs a new pair after every game). They, like cars, are made to wear out... and if you wear them on your feet all day every day... well.

Have you looked at the Birkenstocks at all? Of course, they're not right for everyone, but These shoes can go through a resoling before you need to replace the cork footbed (also replaceable, through the manufacturer... the shoe store you buy them from can send them back for you). I have found them to be well worth the money. You can get them with nonslip soles, or you can even have rubber sole protectors put on the bottoms of these (the sole is a soft crepe material and does wear quickly, especially if you scuff at all). Also, if you get lots of wear in a certain spot like the heels, you can get heel protectors put on.

You might take the shoes to a shoe repair and see what they say. Sometimes it can cost, but if the shoes are comfortable, it's usually worth it. I am wondering... have the shoes helped your PF... you say they are really good, but you might want to consider the possibility that the shoes are hurting you... just a thought.

I really hope you can pamper those feet and find some real relief soon. I really know what it's like to have PF and work a standup job. I thought it wasn't so bad and that it would just go away. You say it's not too bad, but make sure you listen to your body. This change for the worse could be related to the cold weather, but make sure you do what you can to take care of it! Don't be like me (I had to leave my job after months of physical and mental turmoil). I don't want to scare you or dramatize... it's just that this can get serious.

Sorry if I am saying too much. It's just that when someone talks about waitressing or a job that keeps them on their feet, I really take notice. You work hard and you need the job, but don't let it be your demise. I say all of these things out of care and concern for a fellow customer service person. Are you working with a doctor to treat this PF?

I wish you the best and very quick relief.

Your friend, Val.

clara on 1/04/02 at 08:36 (068657)

Hi JoAnn! Yes, my opinion is that it feels like chilly wheather can affect PF. My acu´s telling me that it´s VERY important to not be cold, because then the PF can get worse. So I am very careful now when it´s cold outside.
//Clara

JoAnn Fl on 1/04/02 at 23:19 (068779)

The shoes I have are soft spot supremes 'trek' they can not be resoled. My PF stared about a year ago but I found out on sept. 11, the day of the disaster!
Yes, I checked out birkenstock, I have a pair for at home but the sizing seems to be a bit wrong. They also hurt my heels so I use them only as slippers.
The trek shoes must have helped my PF since I don't have as much pain as I used to, I have powersteps in them. But... when I put the powersteps in another shoe my feet hurt more. I have only seen my Dr. twice, the taping helped at first, then I taped in order to walk, I don't tape anymore since I got these shoes I haven't needed it. I don't ice anymore either, an very little excersize. I take IBprofin daily or there is pain. I will more then likey be on my feet for many more years......by necessity.
Thanks for careing.
JoAnn