Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ice only for pain?

Posted by sage r. on 1/03/02 at 14:59 (068557)

i use ice when i'm in a lot of pain but i was wondering if icing is something people do daily even when their feet don't hurt to keep inflamation down?

Re: ice only for pain?

Carole C on 1/03/02 at 15:43 (068563)

It does help to decrease inflammation too, I think. I don't feel as much pain any more (2 instead of 8 on a scale of 1 to 10), because I'm resting my feet a lot and healing, but now and then I do ice my feet. I should probably do it more often, but it's hard to remember when pain doesn't jog your memory!

Pain and inflammation seem to go together most of the time, for me, and my feet are not nearly so inflamed now that the pain is diminishing.

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/03/02 at 16:17 (068569)

sage, yes, it is a good idea to ice regularly to keep the inflammation down -- whether or not your feet are hurting much on a given day. i would ice two or three times a day, for 10 or 15 minutes at a stretch.
nancy

John h on 1/03/02 at 19:42 (068589)

sage r: if you ever watch major league baseball pitchers after they come out of a game they typically wrap their arm in ice to keep down any swelling. there are other athletes who do the same thing even though they do not have an injury they ice the arm, leg , or whatever if it has been under heavy use.

John h on 1/03/02 at 19:44 (068590)

nancy s it would also make sense for you to have a glass of wine as you ice 2-3 times a day. not only will your feet feel better but so will your brain.

nancy s. on 1/03/02 at 20:27 (068595)

john, my dear friend. aren't you good to be concerned not only about my feet but about my brain as well! ah yes, it does need attention.... of the relaxing variety. thanks for the suggestion, and i'll put it into effect immediately.
nancy

Carole C on 1/03/02 at 15:43 (068563)

It does help to decrease inflammation too, I think. I don't feel as much pain any more (2 instead of 8 on a scale of 1 to 10), because I'm resting my feet a lot and healing, but now and then I do ice my feet. I should probably do it more often, but it's hard to remember when pain doesn't jog your memory!

Pain and inflammation seem to go together most of the time, for me, and my feet are not nearly so inflamed now that the pain is diminishing.

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/03/02 at 16:17 (068569)

sage, yes, it is a good idea to ice regularly to keep the inflammation down -- whether or not your feet are hurting much on a given day. i would ice two or three times a day, for 10 or 15 minutes at a stretch.
nancy

John h on 1/03/02 at 19:42 (068589)

sage r: if you ever watch major league baseball pitchers after they come out of a game they typically wrap their arm in ice to keep down any swelling. there are other athletes who do the same thing even though they do not have an injury they ice the arm, leg , or whatever if it has been under heavy use.

John h on 1/03/02 at 19:44 (068590)

nancy s it would also make sense for you to have a glass of wine as you ice 2-3 times a day. not only will your feet feel better but so will your brain.

nancy s. on 1/03/02 at 20:27 (068595)

john, my dear friend. aren't you good to be concerned not only about my feet but about my brain as well! ah yes, it does need attention.... of the relaxing variety. thanks for the suggestion, and i'll put it into effect immediately.
nancy