Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

since the office is now closed.....

Posted by DW on 1/03/02 at 16:52 (068571)

...I'll ask my question here. I got the stitches out yesterday....yee ha! I was told to start putting more weight on the foot and wean off the crutches in a week. My problem is that I had basically no drainage at all until today, now that the stitches are gone. It isn't a huge amount, but the reddish spots do soak thru the gauze. The site is now wet-looking and I still get a little seepage when I'm sitting down. Is this pretty natural, considering I'm now putting more weight on the foot? The incision site *burns* a little from time to time, kind of like being stretched too tightly. I want NO part of an infection, so I just want to be careful. I'll call the dr in the morning, but thought maybe someone here could give me an idea until then.
Thanks.
Dona

Re: since the office is now closed.....

cindyp on 1/03/02 at 19:17 (068588)

I neverhad abit of seepage. That dr. telling you to do that within a week in my opinion is full of it. Go slowly and do it when you are comfortable. for six weeks i still had periods of swelling and had to put up the foot.

Re: since the office is now closed.....RE Cindyp

Laurie R on 1/03/02 at 19:56 (068592)

Hi Cindy , I remember all that you had went through before you found the right doctor to do your surgery . Also I am so happy you are doing better.. I have a question for you , I hope you don't mind . I will be having surgery soon on my foot . As I can remember you had a lump removed , was it a fibroma or another type of lump....

Thanks Cindy , Laurie R

cindyp on 1/04/02 at 09:15 (068664)

It was a varicose vein with a tumor on one side of it so I dont' know what ya would call it except glad it is gone. heheh

Paula G. on 1/04/02 at 14:44 (068703)

How are you doing today? I also had some drainage from my incision. No real concern I guess. I was told to just keep it cleaned and keep a dressing on it as long as there is seepage. You will have swelling for quite some time.

DW on 1/05/02 at 09:07 (068794)

Thanks for the replies. The dr started me on an antibiotic, just to be safe and because I have mitral valve prolapse also. I go in on Monday for him to check the incision and make sure it's healing ok. I'm down to one crutch (except when walking for long distances) and I must say, it feels pretty good. A little pain in the heel area still, but pretty minimal compared to what I did have. All in all, still a pretty positive experience.
Dona

cindyp on 1/03/02 at 19:17 (068588)

I neverhad abit of seepage. That dr. telling you to do that within a week in my opinion is full of it. Go slowly and do it when you are comfortable. for six weeks i still had periods of swelling and had to put up the foot.

Laurie R on 1/03/02 at 19:56 (068592)

Hi Cindy , I remember all that you had went through before you found the right doctor to do your surgery . Also I am so happy you are doing better.. I have a question for you , I hope you don't mind . I will be having surgery soon on my foot . As I can remember you had a lump removed , was it a fibroma or another type of lump....

Thanks Cindy , Laurie R

cindyp on 1/04/02 at 09:15 (068664)

It was a varicose vein with a tumor on one side of it so I dont' know what ya would call it except glad it is gone. heheh

Paula G. on 1/04/02 at 14:44 (068703)

How are you doing today? I also had some drainage from my incision. No real concern I guess. I was told to just keep it cleaned and keep a dressing on it as long as there is seepage. You will have swelling for quite some time.

DW on 1/05/02 at 09:07 (068794)

Thanks for the replies. The dr started me on an antibiotic, just to be safe and because I have mitral valve prolapse also. I go in on Monday for him to check the incision and make sure it's healing ok. I'm down to one crutch (except when walking for long distances) and I must say, it feels pretty good. A little pain in the heel area still, but pretty minimal compared to what I did have. All in all, still a pretty positive experience.
Dona