Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Glucosamine Sulphate

Posted by John S on 1/04/02 at 05:26 (068648)

I have had sole and heel pain, specifically in my left foot for about 10yrs. .

In March of last year the condition worsened to the point that I could hardly walk 400-500yds. Nothing seemed to help including ibruprofen gel, heat treatment at the physiotherapist and very expensive shoe cushioning. Slight relief was obtained through weight loss and rest.

I am very sceptical indeed about alternative medecine and health supplements but a friend with a similar outlook on life suggested glucosamine sulphate which he thought had assisted his hip problem enormously. I was extremely dubious but 6 months later I am playing golf again and taking the occasional 4 mile walk. This, when I could not walk at all without pain and could only play golf using a buggy which is something not usually done in the UK.

I take 1500mg a day and whether or not they are the source of my relief I am not stopping for the moment. Oh by the way the weight loss didn't last and my weight is back up to 225lb

Re: Glucosamine and a little weight loss philosophy...

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 08:28 (068653)

John, that is amazing! I have some glucosamine which I got for my arthritis but haven't been taking. It helps my arthritis (but not as much as Celebrex in my case). I thought that was because it was replacing damaged cartilage, but to me that wouldn't make as much sense with heel pain as it does with osteoarthritis.

I wonder if it has some pain-killing properties as well. Maybe I should try it! Couldn't do any harm.

Sorry to hear about your weight coming back. I am working really hard on maintenance skills even though I still have 94 pounds left to lose. Actually I'm working harder on learning maintenance skills than on the weight loss, because maintenance is so hard and I don't want to yo-yo when I finish losing weight. I was so heavy that I figured I might not survive another yo-yo, so maintenance is a dead serious issue with me.

(Please bear with me..... not meaning to intrude on your life choices but...)

I doubt it's new to you but Weight Watchers teaches us to lose slowly (1-2 pounds a week) in order to keep the weight off more easily, and also to regard the changes we make as part of a new lifestyle rather than a diet. The hard part is trying to find healthy lifestyle changes one can live with happily for the rest of life. However I am convinced that it is possible. That is part of why I want to get back on my exercycle so much; I feel like the exercycle is something I can and will do forever once my feet are healthy again. It's a lifestyle change that I like and can live with and actually desire and miss. I also know that variety in exercise is important to me, but even if I occasionally 'branch out' and do other things for the fun of it, I plan to always return to cycling as a sort of central form of exercise.

There are healthy foods that I much prefer to the high fat, high sugar choices that I used to make. As a heavy person I was not very well acquainted with what is available as far as healthy foods but some of them actually taste pretty good. I love Brummel and Brown spread, and prefer it to butter, for example, and I love to sweeten things with blueberries instead of sugar but when I was heavier I didn't realize that frozen blueberries are a cost-effective substitute. I would miss these healthy foods if I 'lost it'. It takes some time and effort to find healthy foods that one feels this way about! But it can be done.

Also, as I lose I am trying to come to terms with bad habits and emotional eating, and to deal with these and other reasons for consuming food in which I consider food as something other than fuel for my body, to keep it healthy and running smoothly. 'If you do what you always did, you'll get what you always got.' and 'No guilt and move on'. There, are you up to your eyebrows in Weight Watchers philosophy yet? (grin) Sorry, I am so into this that it makes me feel sad to see others in the same struggle and losing ground.

I don't know yet if I will have any better luck keeping weight off this time, but I am really throwing myself into finding out everything possible that I can do to keep from gaining it back. I don't think my body can take a re-gain of 180 pounds (which I will have lost by the time I'm done) and I love life too much to risk it.

Carole C

Re: Glucosamine Sulphate

clara on 1/04/02 at 08:31 (068655)

Hi! I agree, Gloucosamine has helped me too. Here in Sweden they stopped selling this product for a while, but now it´s for sale again for at least a year. Guess if I will buy much of it!!

What do the doctors think of Glucosamine? In Sweden it probably will be availeble only by recipes later on.

I am worried now, because I now know lots of people who has, suddenly, got PF!

How are you now John, are your feet hurting at all or are you totally cured?

//Clara

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 08:57 (068662)

Clara, my rheumatologist (arthritis doctor) here in Louisiana (U.S.A.) encourages me to take glucosamine. He says it causes no harm, and seems to help his osteoarthritis patients although there is no known reason why it is so helpful.

We can buy glucosamine in any grocery store here with no prescription and without seeing a doctor.

Carole C

PatC on 1/04/02 at 12:21 (068681)

Carol,
You are inspiring for those of us who are also trying to lose weight. I like your philosophy. I know several people with osteoarthritis who have also been helped by Glucosamine and Chondroitin. The book The Arthritis Cure by Jason Theodosakis explains how and why it works.

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 12:26 (068683)

Thanks, Pat! I will look for it. :)

Carole C

Nicole K. on 1/04/02 at 13:28 (068689)

I have been taking Glucosamine (PIPE) MSM Complex in 'therapeutic doses' (double what the label says) as recommended by doctor. I have seen no improvement in my heel spurs (yes, and now my other foot is flared up).

As for weight loss, I am not overweight at 5'1' 100lb, but I am a firm beleiver in daily exercise and am also a vegetarian. Ever heard of McDougall? Great board here:
http://www.vegsource.com/mcdougall/

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 08:28 (068653)

John, that is amazing! I have some glucosamine which I got for my arthritis but haven't been taking. It helps my arthritis (but not as much as Celebrex in my case). I thought that was because it was replacing damaged cartilage, but to me that wouldn't make as much sense with heel pain as it does with osteoarthritis.

I wonder if it has some pain-killing properties as well. Maybe I should try it! Couldn't do any harm.

Sorry to hear about your weight coming back. I am working really hard on maintenance skills even though I still have 94 pounds left to lose. Actually I'm working harder on learning maintenance skills than on the weight loss, because maintenance is so hard and I don't want to yo-yo when I finish losing weight. I was so heavy that I figured I might not survive another yo-yo, so maintenance is a dead serious issue with me.

(Please bear with me..... not meaning to intrude on your life choices but...)

I doubt it's new to you but Weight Watchers teaches us to lose slowly (1-2 pounds a week) in order to keep the weight off more easily, and also to regard the changes we make as part of a new lifestyle rather than a diet. The hard part is trying to find healthy lifestyle changes one can live with happily for the rest of life. However I am convinced that it is possible. That is part of why I want to get back on my exercycle so much; I feel like the exercycle is something I can and will do forever once my feet are healthy again. It's a lifestyle change that I like and can live with and actually desire and miss. I also know that variety in exercise is important to me, but even if I occasionally 'branch out' and do other things for the fun of it, I plan to always return to cycling as a sort of central form of exercise.

There are healthy foods that I much prefer to the high fat, high sugar choices that I used to make. As a heavy person I was not very well acquainted with what is available as far as healthy foods but some of them actually taste pretty good. I love Brummel and Brown spread, and prefer it to butter, for example, and I love to sweeten things with blueberries instead of sugar but when I was heavier I didn't realize that frozen blueberries are a cost-effective substitute. I would miss these healthy foods if I 'lost it'. It takes some time and effort to find healthy foods that one feels this way about! But it can be done.

Also, as I lose I am trying to come to terms with bad habits and emotional eating, and to deal with these and other reasons for consuming food in which I consider food as something other than fuel for my body, to keep it healthy and running smoothly. 'If you do what you always did, you'll get what you always got.' and 'No guilt and move on'. There, are you up to your eyebrows in Weight Watchers philosophy yet? (grin) Sorry, I am so into this that it makes me feel sad to see others in the same struggle and losing ground.

I don't know yet if I will have any better luck keeping weight off this time, but I am really throwing myself into finding out everything possible that I can do to keep from gaining it back. I don't think my body can take a re-gain of 180 pounds (which I will have lost by the time I'm done) and I love life too much to risk it.

Carole C

clara on 1/04/02 at 08:31 (068655)

Hi! I agree, Gloucosamine has helped me too. Here in Sweden they stopped selling this product for a while, but now it´s for sale again for at least a year. Guess if I will buy much of it!!

What do the doctors think of Glucosamine? In Sweden it probably will be availeble only by recipes later on.

I am worried now, because I now know lots of people who has, suddenly, got PF!

How are you now John, are your feet hurting at all or are you totally cured?

//Clara

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 08:57 (068662)

Clara, my rheumatologist (arthritis doctor) here in Louisiana (U.S.A.) encourages me to take glucosamine. He says it causes no harm, and seems to help his osteoarthritis patients although there is no known reason why it is so helpful.

We can buy glucosamine in any grocery store here with no prescription and without seeing a doctor.

Carole C

PatC on 1/04/02 at 12:21 (068681)

Carol,
You are inspiring for those of us who are also trying to lose weight. I like your philosophy. I know several people with osteoarthritis who have also been helped by Glucosamine and Chondroitin. The book The Arthritis Cure by Jason Theodosakis explains how and why it works.

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 12:26 (068683)

Thanks, Pat! I will look for it. :)

Carole C

Nicole K. on 1/04/02 at 13:28 (068689)

I have been taking Glucosamine (PIPE) MSM Complex in 'therapeutic doses' (double what the label says) as recommended by doctor. I have seen no improvement in my heel spurs (yes, and now my other foot is flared up).

As for weight loss, I am not overweight at 5'1' 100lb, but I am a firm beleiver in daily exercise and am also a vegetarian. Ever heard of McDougall? Great board here:
http://www.vegsource.com/mcdougall/