Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

fasting

Posted by rebecca h on 1/04/02 at 08:39 (068658)

Has anyone tried fasting to speed up healing? I've heard it can help your body get rid of bad stuff and heal faster. does any one have info on this?

Re: fasting

PatC on 1/04/02 at 12:11 (068680)

You are better off eating a balanced diet.

Nicole K. on 1/04/02 at 13:20 (068688)

Hey,
I am considering fasting as well... My thinking is that fasting forces the body to heal itself. Or at least it helps it. I don't know if it will work for heel spurs, but it's worth a shot. This site has lots of info. about fasting:
http://curezone.com/

I am planning to do the 'lemonade diet' which is supposed to help chronic pain. I have done 3 day fasts before, but 10 days (minimum) sounds kind of extreme to me, but I'm going to give it a shot, nonetheless.

Carmen H on 1/04/02 at 14:08 (068696)

Look into it carefully before you deny yourself anything at this point in your healing.....fasting is more of a way to 'detox' from my limited understanding...Toxins can cause slow healing but you really have to be on a strict regimen in other things as well.....like no sugars, no chemicals at all etc.
Dr. Weil has a great book on healing...check it out.
http://www.drweil.com
It's called Spontaneous Healing and it is wonderful.

wendyn on 1/04/02 at 14:49 (068707)

Nicole - please be VERY careful about fasting...especially if you have a weight problem. Fasting (from what I've read) can trigger a starvation response in your body, and then when you start eating again - your body may save every calorie in fat deposits.

I don't think I've ever heard that it can stimulate a healing response in your body. To me it sounds like it would make it harder for the body to heal - because it's being denied essential nutrients to help repair.

But that's just my opinion - and I've never seriously investigated fasting before.

wendyn on 1/04/02 at 14:55 (068712)

Nicole - I'd be real careful taking medical advice from that site...this is what it has to say about AIDS...

'To cure AIDS, its a total life style change --- not a drug or a pill. Natural healing can cure AIDS. But if you are looking for one special anti-viral herb to solve this disease, you're as nuts as the doctors. How stupid can these experts be (and the patients, too), to believe that a single drug, a chemical on its lonesome, can cure a total body breakdown? We don't need any more research money to cure AIDS. In case you are groggy or dense and didn't get my point, I will repeat it: AIDS can be cured. Right now. Forget the DNA research. Forget the emotional fund-raisers. They're not necessary. It can also save those who are skin and bone and sores and diarrhea. If you follow all this information, you can end up cured and HIV-negative. Sympathy and understanding cannot cure AIDS. This information will cure --- but only if you use it with all your heart and soul. If people would live right, eat right, think right, use natural healing, and stop taking all drugs, the AIDS epidemic would end.'

Any site that can claim to to make someone HIV negative - deserves a healthy dose of skepticism...in my opinion.

Nicole K. on 1/04/02 at 15:12 (068714)

lol, that's pretty far-fetched. I didn't see that. Well, anyhow, I still do believe that fasting has its benefits (maybe I won't listen to the extremity of their advice - 10 days, but...)

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 16:14 (068722)

Yes, that is so outrageous and it's probably illegal to claim to cure AIDS without government approval of the claim. I don't know if it is, but it should be because that type of claim can break peoples hearts and pocketbooks.

Back in the sixties, when I was a Berkeley hippie, I knew people who would fast to cleanse the system of toxins, drinking water but not eating. They would do it for just maybe 48 hours (I remember one guy who I didn't know provided me with the detail that he fasted until his urine was crystal clear, which was something I felt I didn't really need to know). Either they would do a complete fast, or sometimes brown rice and water, or sometimes just vegetable juice and the like. Whatever.

I fasted once for ten days for weight loss reasons back in 1976, water only, and found my weight loss was less than spectacular. I also feel that it harmed my health. But that's just me. I'm a liquid protein survivor too.

Carole C

wendyn on 1/04/02 at 17:40 (068738)

I think you're wise to give it second thought Nicole - may also want to run any fasting ideas by your doctor first too.

Aren't you the one who had a baby not that long ago? If you are - make sure you don't fast if you're still nursing or just finished - that takes enough out of you as it is!

Re: Yikes! Which one?

Carmen on 1/04/02 at 19:27 (068752)

It wasn't the Dr. Weil site was it? I have never ever heard anything like that by him....I apologize if that's from his site.

wendyn on 1/04/02 at 19:36 (068754)

No Carmen - it was from the curezone one.

Re: fasting ------- Absolutely not!

Steve P on 1/04/02 at 20:48 (068761)

Rebecca --- Proper nutrition is essential to healing. I don't think you can find a podiatrist or other knowledgeable PF doctor who would recommend fasting. Please be very cautious! (I'm not talking about reasonable dieting for weight control, which is usually OK. But for anything more than that, please see your doctor.)

Steve

Carmen on 1/05/02 at 08:45 (068793)

Whew.....I'm glad b/c I love Dr. Weil.

PatC on 1/04/02 at 12:11 (068680)

You are better off eating a balanced diet.

Nicole K. on 1/04/02 at 13:20 (068688)

Hey,
I am considering fasting as well... My thinking is that fasting forces the body to heal itself. Or at least it helps it. I don't know if it will work for heel spurs, but it's worth a shot. This site has lots of info. about fasting:
http://curezone.com/

I am planning to do the 'lemonade diet' which is supposed to help chronic pain. I have done 3 day fasts before, but 10 days (minimum) sounds kind of extreme to me, but I'm going to give it a shot, nonetheless.

Carmen H on 1/04/02 at 14:08 (068696)

Look into it carefully before you deny yourself anything at this point in your healing.....fasting is more of a way to 'detox' from my limited understanding...Toxins can cause slow healing but you really have to be on a strict regimen in other things as well.....like no sugars, no chemicals at all etc.
Dr. Weil has a great book on healing...check it out.
http://www.drweil.com
It's called Spontaneous Healing and it is wonderful.

wendyn on 1/04/02 at 14:49 (068707)

Nicole - please be VERY careful about fasting...especially if you have a weight problem. Fasting (from what I've read) can trigger a starvation response in your body, and then when you start eating again - your body may save every calorie in fat deposits.

I don't think I've ever heard that it can stimulate a healing response in your body. To me it sounds like it would make it harder for the body to heal - because it's being denied essential nutrients to help repair.

But that's just my opinion - and I've never seriously investigated fasting before.

wendyn on 1/04/02 at 14:55 (068712)

Nicole - I'd be real careful taking medical advice from that site...this is what it has to say about AIDS...

'To cure AIDS, its a total life style change --- not a drug or a pill. Natural healing can cure AIDS. But if you are looking for one special anti-viral herb to solve this disease, you're as nuts as the doctors. How stupid can these experts be (and the patients, too), to believe that a single drug, a chemical on its lonesome, can cure a total body breakdown? We don't need any more research money to cure AIDS. In case you are groggy or dense and didn't get my point, I will repeat it: AIDS can be cured. Right now. Forget the DNA research. Forget the emotional fund-raisers. They're not necessary. It can also save those who are skin and bone and sores and diarrhea. If you follow all this information, you can end up cured and HIV-negative. Sympathy and understanding cannot cure AIDS. This information will cure --- but only if you use it with all your heart and soul. If people would live right, eat right, think right, use natural healing, and stop taking all drugs, the AIDS epidemic would end.'

Any site that can claim to to make someone HIV negative - deserves a healthy dose of skepticism...in my opinion.

Nicole K. on 1/04/02 at 15:12 (068714)

lol, that's pretty far-fetched. I didn't see that. Well, anyhow, I still do believe that fasting has its benefits (maybe I won't listen to the extremity of their advice - 10 days, but...)

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 16:14 (068722)

Yes, that is so outrageous and it's probably illegal to claim to cure AIDS without government approval of the claim. I don't know if it is, but it should be because that type of claim can break peoples hearts and pocketbooks.

Back in the sixties, when I was a Berkeley hippie, I knew people who would fast to cleanse the system of toxins, drinking water but not eating. They would do it for just maybe 48 hours (I remember one guy who I didn't know provided me with the detail that he fasted until his urine was crystal clear, which was something I felt I didn't really need to know). Either they would do a complete fast, or sometimes brown rice and water, or sometimes just vegetable juice and the like. Whatever.

I fasted once for ten days for weight loss reasons back in 1976, water only, and found my weight loss was less than spectacular. I also feel that it harmed my health. But that's just me. I'm a liquid protein survivor too.

Carole C

wendyn on 1/04/02 at 17:40 (068738)

I think you're wise to give it second thought Nicole - may also want to run any fasting ideas by your doctor first too.

Aren't you the one who had a baby not that long ago? If you are - make sure you don't fast if you're still nursing or just finished - that takes enough out of you as it is!

Carmen on 1/04/02 at 19:27 (068752)

It wasn't the Dr. Weil site was it? I have never ever heard anything like that by him....I apologize if that's from his site.

wendyn on 1/04/02 at 19:36 (068754)

No Carmen - it was from the curezone one.

Re: fasting ------- Absolutely not!

Steve P on 1/04/02 at 20:48 (068761)

Rebecca --- Proper nutrition is essential to healing. I don't think you can find a podiatrist or other knowledgeable PF doctor who would recommend fasting. Please be very cautious! (I'm not talking about reasonable dieting for weight control, which is usually OK. But for anything more than that, please see your doctor.)

Steve

Carmen on 1/05/02 at 08:45 (068793)

Whew.....I'm glad b/c I love Dr. Weil.