Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Q for Dr. Z on ESWT for nonhealing bone fractures

Posted by elliott on 1/04/02 at 09:34 (068667)

Most of the discussion here is understandably on ESWT for PF. I've seen some literature on ESWT for nonhealing or slow-healing bone fractures, mainly for things like a major but localized tibial fracture. Have you had enough of a sample of patients to determine its efficacy for bone problems? What if one has bone problems with the entire talonavicular joint? Does it offer promise as an alternative to fusion?

-----

Re: Q for Dr. Z on ESWT for nonhealing bone fractures

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/04/02 at 11:43 (068677)

We don't use ESWT for non-union fracture. IT has been in use in Europe and the results are very promising. IT is my undestanding that the ossatron was used in non-union fracture problems. I am not sure of what the results were or if they were finished or stopped. I would contact healthronic and ask them what is the status of their non-union fracture healing studies and if they are finished with them

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/04/02 at 21:03 (068764)

High energy units have been used in Europe for treatment of non-unions, that is, fractures which refuse to heal without intervention. It is not being used for joint problems though.

Apparently, the microtrauma caused by the shock wave to the area of non-union is adequate to stimulate blood flow and remodeling of the non-union site and allow helaing to presume. Alternate techniques used in the US now include electronic stimulation devices and recently, ultrasound.
Ed

Lis on 1/05/02 at 10:38 (068802)

I was a patient for PF but met a young guy and a woman with non-healing fractures. The Storz shock wave machine was helping both of them. I saw them over a 5 week period but don't know what the final outcome was. I do know that it is being used for this condition here in Rome and elsewhere in Europe. Hope you can find one of the less traumatic small shock wave machines in your area. Here is a web site to see the machine:
http://www.storzmedical.com/English/Products/Products.html

dr. joel wilner on 1/06/02 at 20:54 (069005)

i have done several cases utilizing eswt for tx of several non unions in the lower extermity with very good success...while the data and results are still from a small sampling.....docs in europe have been doing this
with reproducible results...it is important to utilize the bow on the ossatron for proper orientation and use the c arm as well.... we have performed most txs with 1500 shocks in two different planes at 24kv..
again, the results have been excellent so far

Re: where are you located? (nm)

elliott on 1/06/02 at 21:38 (069008)

dr joel wilner on 1/09/02 at 18:34 (069403)

i practice in santa fe nm

Re: how did a nice...

elliott on 1/09/02 at 23:06 (069438)

Jewish boy like you end up in Santa Fe? :-) :-) :-) :-)

---

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/04/02 at 11:43 (068677)

We don't use ESWT for non-union fracture. IT has been in use in Europe and the results are very promising. IT is my undestanding that the ossatron was used in non-union fracture problems. I am not sure of what the results were or if they were finished or stopped. I would contact healthronic and ask them what is the status of their non-union fracture healing studies and if they are finished with them

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/04/02 at 21:03 (068764)

High energy units have been used in Europe for treatment of non-unions, that is, fractures which refuse to heal without intervention. It is not being used for joint problems though.

Apparently, the microtrauma caused by the shock wave to the area of non-union is adequate to stimulate blood flow and remodeling of the non-union site and allow helaing to presume. Alternate techniques used in the US now include electronic stimulation devices and recently, ultrasound.
Ed

Lis on 1/05/02 at 10:38 (068802)

I was a patient for PF but met a young guy and a woman with non-healing fractures. The Storz shock wave machine was helping both of them. I saw them over a 5 week period but don't know what the final outcome was. I do know that it is being used for this condition here in Rome and elsewhere in Europe. Hope you can find one of the less traumatic small shock wave machines in your area. Here is a web site to see the machine:
http://www.storzmedical.com/English/Products/Products.html

dr. joel wilner on 1/06/02 at 20:54 (069005)

i have done several cases utilizing eswt for tx of several non unions in the lower extermity with very good success...while the data and results are still from a small sampling.....docs in europe have been doing this
with reproducible results...it is important to utilize the bow on the ossatron for proper orientation and use the c arm as well.... we have performed most txs with 1500 shocks in two different planes at 24kv..
again, the results have been excellent so far

elliott on 1/06/02 at 21:38 (069008)

dr joel wilner on 1/09/02 at 18:34 (069403)

i practice in santa fe nm

Re: how did a nice...

elliott on 1/09/02 at 23:06 (069438)

Jewish boy like you end up in Santa Fe? :-) :-) :-) :-)

---