Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

orthotic adjustment

Posted by Nicole K. on 1/04/02 at 13:55 (068694)

I have new orthotics, the rigid plasticy kind. Anyways, yesterday I went to the doctor's office and he made an adjustment/ change to them. I am just wondering what purpose it would serve and why he didn't put this on in the first place...? What he did was put on a squarish/ u thing underneath the heels. My other orthotics had this, but when he first gave me these he didn't have the block/ u thing underneath and put it on yesterday. Any ideas?

Re: orthotic adjustment

Richard, C.Ped on 1/04/02 at 14:19 (068700)

Hi Nicole...
First of all, what is your diagnosis for needing the orthotics? PF?
If so, the doc might have been trying to relieve pressure from the center of your heel.

There are many types of adjustments that we do for orthotics. When I make a pair of orthotics, I start at square one. We give the patient an examination and determine exactly how the orthosis should be made. I usually tell the patient to break them in and wear them for about two to three weeks. From there, we should know if we need to to any other adjustments. No two feet are alike, so no orthosis will be the same. That is why I am so aganist the ones you may see on TV or at different home or medical product exhibits.

It may take a little tweeking here and there in order to have the orthosis fit just right. It is the whole process of a custom item.
Richard

Nicole K. on 1/04/02 at 15:16 (068715)

Hi,
I started with PF and now I have heel spurs. I did have a two week break in period where my feet actually got worse. My right (other) foot flared up and I had some lateral pain on my left foot that I didn't have before. I sure hope this relieves the pressure in the center of my heels. Thanks for your response. :)

Renee H on 1/15/02 at 11:01 (070030)

Hi,

My doctor adjusted mine after a month or so. He said that often when the orthotics are made, your feet are swollen a bit. Once you relieve some pressure with the orthotics the swelling may go down some. He adjusted my arches higher to give me more support. Later he also adjusted them to tilt in more because I had ankle pain. Also seems to have helped. Sure isn't an exact science. I'm still not happy either. I still have pain but better than before.

Renee

Richard, C.Ped on 1/04/02 at 14:19 (068700)

Hi Nicole...
First of all, what is your diagnosis for needing the orthotics? PF?
If so, the doc might have been trying to relieve pressure from the center of your heel.

There are many types of adjustments that we do for orthotics. When I make a pair of orthotics, I start at square one. We give the patient an examination and determine exactly how the orthosis should be made. I usually tell the patient to break them in and wear them for about two to three weeks. From there, we should know if we need to to any other adjustments. No two feet are alike, so no orthosis will be the same. That is why I am so aganist the ones you may see on TV or at different home or medical product exhibits.

It may take a little tweeking here and there in order to have the orthosis fit just right. It is the whole process of a custom item.
Richard

Nicole K. on 1/04/02 at 15:16 (068715)

Hi,
I started with PF and now I have heel spurs. I did have a two week break in period where my feet actually got worse. My right (other) foot flared up and I had some lateral pain on my left foot that I didn't have before. I sure hope this relieves the pressure in the center of my heels. Thanks for your response. :)

Renee H on 1/15/02 at 11:01 (070030)

Hi,

My doctor adjusted mine after a month or so. He said that often when the orthotics are made, your feet are swollen a bit. Once you relieve some pressure with the orthotics the swelling may go down some. He adjusted my arches higher to give me more support. Later he also adjusted them to tilt in more because I had ankle pain. Also seems to have helped. Sure isn't an exact science. I'm still not happy either. I still have pain but better than before.

Renee