Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

sesamoiditis...how long, in your experience...does it take?

Posted by rebecca h on 1/04/02 at 15:20 (068717)

I've been reading all these foot websites that say things like 'to treat sesamoiditis a strict rest is required.' How long, in your experience would it normally take to heal up. (I have it in both feet along with post tibial tendonitis) and have literally been off my feet for a week 24 hours and 55 minutes per day. But when I do walk a few steps (in shoes of course) the forefeet still hurt. Give me some hope here. I have five children to raise and I really don't want to live in this wheelchair forever but a week in a wheelchair feels more like a year...( I am being treated by a good doctor) Am I an impatient patient?

Re: sesamoiditis...how long, in your experience...does it take?

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/04/02 at 21:40 (068769)

Did you say you were in a wheelchair for sesamoiditis? If so, find a new doctor ASAP? Get out of the wheelchair.

Strict rest is rarely required to treat sesamoiditis--it is only required if there is a sesamoid fracture.

First--what was the cause of the sesamoiditis? Affecting both feet? The tibial sesamoid or the fibular sesamoid?

Tibial sesamoiditis is very common in ballet but it rarely slows the dancers down. A few drops of cortisone is placed around the tibial sesamoid and a 'dancer's pad' applied which is an aperture pad for the sesamoid bone---the dancer then goes back to work. A similar treatment can be performed for non-athletes (works better for non-ballet people because they don't get right back up on their toes). The aperture can be applied directly to the skin, to the shoe insole, incorporated into an orthotic, etc.

Two other treatments include a metatarsal bar applied to the shoe which allows your foot to roll over the tender sesamoid or a rocker sole.

Despite the above, there may be some persisting tenderness for two to three months, but not the type of pain that would significantly interfere with one's activities if treated properly.
Ed

rebecca h on 1/05/02 at 15:40 (068842)

I don't only have sesamoiditis, but also have post tibial tendonitis. I have chosen to use a wheelchair because the doctor said my feet wouldn't get better unless I stay off of them. Thanks for the information. Its hard to believe ballet dancers can keep dancing with this. It hurts so much. Not that I don't believe you. : )

wendyn on 1/05/02 at 16:11 (068845)

Rebecca, I didn't realize that you're using a wheelchair.

I know that when my feet were really bad I considered using a chair all the time...but you can create new problems if you're in a wheelchair - very quickly your muscles can atrophy - and you will lose strength really fast.

If absolute rest is required, usually doctors will cast. (if it's only one foot).

How long have you been using the chair?

rebecca h on 1/05/02 at 23:17 (068889)

Only one week. Getting really good at it too. It lets me stay active in the life of my family. I can go from one room to another, bark orders at the kids.... : ) Its hard pscychologically though. I always have associated wheelchairs with someone near death or permanently disabled. But it seems to be the only way I can really stay off my feet.

wendyn on 1/05/02 at 23:28 (068893)

Please try to get out of the chair ASAP. I know it's a great way to rest your feet - but you may want to just use it for the longer periods you'd have to spend on your feet.

Even if you have major surgery - they will get you up and moving as quick a possible...it just is not good for your bod to remain so motionless for so long. And you will be AMAZED at how fast your muscles will start to deteriorate from not using them.

I have had serious problems with my Post Tib tendon - so I do know it can be most painful.

I'm not trying to tick you off - but I am concerned..(best intentions)....

Does your doctor know you're using the chair?

rebecca h on 1/06/02 at 20:07 (069000)

I am longing to be walking around. Part of my problem is that I have no shoes that are comfortable to wear more than two minutes at a time. I can walk around a little in my bedroom on very soft cushioned carpet. The rest of the house is 'beautiful hard wood floors' HA! I'd give anything for ugly soft carpet! : ) I tried Birks. They don't seem to be for me, though. Still way too much forefoot pain in them. I tried New Balance but they didn't work either. Spent 140.00 on Zeetas sandals that have a metetarsal arch. The guy at the store was sure they would cure me. They are the only shoes I can wear for a few minutes at a time but still don't seem high enough or stable enough in the heel. Tried Easy Spirit Mesas. Even though they were Wides they didn't feel wide enough for my sensitive forefeet. Just ordered some Brooks they elliot recommended. I'm hoping... but trying not to hope too much. Seems like every time I've tried something that was supposed to be the answer it wasn't. So now my guard is up. This is so depressing! I do appreciate your posts and I know you're right about getting out of the wheelchair as soon as possible.

Re: barefoot on carpet

Carole C on 1/06/02 at 21:00 (069006)

I don't have sesmoiditis, but walking on carpet barefoot was aggravating my PF and messing up my feet pretty much when I did it last December. I have pretty much eliminated it except for an occasional mistake.

Now that my feet are feeling better, maybe in a week or two I might be able to try it intentionally. Right now I want to save any barefootness that my feet can stand, for the shower.

Carole C

Re: Rebecca

wendyn on 1/06/02 at 22:20 (069011)

Rebecca Rebecca Rebecca.

Go ahead an call me a pain in the a**...won't be the first time I've been accused of that - happens daily at work.

Does
your
doctor
know
that
you're
using
a
wheel
chair?

It is important for him/her to know. It may change the way your treatment goes, and they may be able to explain stretches and exercises and things you need to be doing if you're not walking around.

Please please make sure you talk to your doctor about what's happening and that you are finding this the only way.

I am worried about you.

Re: try using capitals :-) (nm)

elliott on 1/06/02 at 22:33 (069017)

Re: ELLIOTT !!!!!! :) EOM

Laurie R on 1/06/02 at 22:57 (069020)

EOM

Re: wendy

rebecca on 1/08/02 at 12:52 (069212)

Dear Wendy,

It is such a pain having someone worried about me!!! I am sooooo offended. NOT. (those caps were especially for elliot) I sincerely appreciate your concern.

Actually, I am doing an experiment to see if messages this 'far gone' on the message board actually get read. : )

Now, to your question. I emailed my doctor today about using the wheelchair. He actually phoned me (even though its long distance) and we talked about it. He said it would be better for me to be up and about, as long as the pain is tolerable. Soooo.....I guess I'm back on my feet now. At least as much as I can stand. I also go back next week for further treatment and evaluation. The doctor wanted me to come in sooner but I can't because of an out-of-town trip with my husband.

So...do messages this far gone get read?!!!

see ya around the message boards
rebecca

Re: Well, I read it!

elliott on 1/08/02 at 13:26 (069222)

I usually don't read stuff after it drops off the first page, but I recently discovered the 'Messages Posted Since Your Last Visit' feature on the main message board. Check it out! If I haven't checked the boards in a little while, that feature can be useful to see what new posts there are, if any--often none, so this saves time from clicking on each board. (But I wish there were an easy way to see which board the message has been posted on. Scott?) If away too long, there are just too many posts that it's not worth it. But I saw yours!! I won't tell Wendy; let's see if she notices (but she's so popular that others might email her to let her know, thereby ruining the experiment).

---

Re: and it's starting to look like wendyn failed the test :-) (nm)

elliott on 1/08/02 at 21:32 (069276)

Re: To Elliott - my nemesis (sp?)

wendyn on 1/09/02 at 13:38 (069359)

Ha for you.

I actually always use the 'View in Reverse'. I read magazines backwards too.

I banned myself from the board last night because I was never going to find anything nice to say.

Re: you get no credit :-)

elliott on 1/09/02 at 23:27 (069442)

I don't have to believe you, cuz Rebecca already tipped you off to these posts in her EARLIER post appearing in your 'But first a disclaimer' thread. And you posted several replies on other boards after these posts appeared without replying here. Ha for you. :-)

You read magazines backwards? You have something in common with us men. I read somehere (backwards, of course :-)) that women typically read a magazine in order, as they trust whoever put it together. Men, OTOH, expect come-ons in the beginning and so turn to the end first where they expect to see the useful stuff hidden.

---

Re: You got me

wendyn on 1/09/02 at 23:40 (069446)

Elliott - we are on the board at the same time - too bad we don't both have IM.

Kay - I phess up. I missed Rebecca's response the first time - BUT I have an excuse. I was sneaking through a few posts when I was at work - and I must have missed that one. I try to get them all - but I'm imperfect.

But it just felt so good to say 'HA' anyway.

rebecca h on 1/10/02 at 01:42 (069454)

you guys are crackin' me up.

Re: progress!

elliott on 1/10/02 at 10:17 (069490)

In previous threads between me and Wendy, others chuckle at just Wendy's humor. Now I get to share. She said 'you guys'!

-----

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/04/02 at 21:40 (068769)

Did you say you were in a wheelchair for sesamoiditis? If so, find a new doctor ASAP? Get out of the wheelchair.

Strict rest is rarely required to treat sesamoiditis--it is only required if there is a sesamoid fracture.

First--what was the cause of the sesamoiditis? Affecting both feet? The tibial sesamoid or the fibular sesamoid?

Tibial sesamoiditis is very common in ballet but it rarely slows the dancers down. A few drops of cortisone is placed around the tibial sesamoid and a 'dancer's pad' applied which is an aperture pad for the sesamoid bone---the dancer then goes back to work. A similar treatment can be performed for non-athletes (works better for non-ballet people because they don't get right back up on their toes). The aperture can be applied directly to the skin, to the shoe insole, incorporated into an orthotic, etc.

Two other treatments include a metatarsal bar applied to the shoe which allows your foot to roll over the tender sesamoid or a rocker sole.

Despite the above, there may be some persisting tenderness for two to three months, but not the type of pain that would significantly interfere with one's activities if treated properly.
Ed

rebecca h on 1/05/02 at 15:40 (068842)

I don't only have sesamoiditis, but also have post tibial tendonitis. I have chosen to use a wheelchair because the doctor said my feet wouldn't get better unless I stay off of them. Thanks for the information. Its hard to believe ballet dancers can keep dancing with this. It hurts so much. Not that I don't believe you. : )

wendyn on 1/05/02 at 16:11 (068845)

Rebecca, I didn't realize that you're using a wheelchair.

I know that when my feet were really bad I considered using a chair all the time...but you can create new problems if you're in a wheelchair - very quickly your muscles can atrophy - and you will lose strength really fast.

If absolute rest is required, usually doctors will cast. (if it's only one foot).

How long have you been using the chair?

rebecca h on 1/05/02 at 23:17 (068889)

Only one week. Getting really good at it too. It lets me stay active in the life of my family. I can go from one room to another, bark orders at the kids.... : ) Its hard pscychologically though. I always have associated wheelchairs with someone near death or permanently disabled. But it seems to be the only way I can really stay off my feet.

wendyn on 1/05/02 at 23:28 (068893)

Please try to get out of the chair ASAP. I know it's a great way to rest your feet - but you may want to just use it for the longer periods you'd have to spend on your feet.

Even if you have major surgery - they will get you up and moving as quick a possible...it just is not good for your bod to remain so motionless for so long. And you will be AMAZED at how fast your muscles will start to deteriorate from not using them.

I have had serious problems with my Post Tib tendon - so I do know it can be most painful.

I'm not trying to tick you off - but I am concerned..(best intentions)....

Does your doctor know you're using the chair?

rebecca h on 1/06/02 at 20:07 (069000)

I am longing to be walking around. Part of my problem is that I have no shoes that are comfortable to wear more than two minutes at a time. I can walk around a little in my bedroom on very soft cushioned carpet. The rest of the house is 'beautiful hard wood floors' HA! I'd give anything for ugly soft carpet! : ) I tried Birks. They don't seem to be for me, though. Still way too much forefoot pain in them. I tried New Balance but they didn't work either. Spent 140.00 on Zeetas sandals that have a metetarsal arch. The guy at the store was sure they would cure me. They are the only shoes I can wear for a few minutes at a time but still don't seem high enough or stable enough in the heel. Tried Easy Spirit Mesas. Even though they were Wides they didn't feel wide enough for my sensitive forefeet. Just ordered some Brooks they elliot recommended. I'm hoping... but trying not to hope too much. Seems like every time I've tried something that was supposed to be the answer it wasn't. So now my guard is up. This is so depressing! I do appreciate your posts and I know you're right about getting out of the wheelchair as soon as possible.

Re: barefoot on carpet

Carole C on 1/06/02 at 21:00 (069006)

I don't have sesmoiditis, but walking on carpet barefoot was aggravating my PF and messing up my feet pretty much when I did it last December. I have pretty much eliminated it except for an occasional mistake.

Now that my feet are feeling better, maybe in a week or two I might be able to try it intentionally. Right now I want to save any barefootness that my feet can stand, for the shower.

Carole C

Re: Rebecca

wendyn on 1/06/02 at 22:20 (069011)

Rebecca Rebecca Rebecca.

Go ahead an call me a pain in the a**...won't be the first time I've been accused of that - happens daily at work.

Does
your
doctor
know
that
you're
using
a
wheel
chair?

It is important for him/her to know. It may change the way your treatment goes, and they may be able to explain stretches and exercises and things you need to be doing if you're not walking around.

Please please make sure you talk to your doctor about what's happening and that you are finding this the only way.

I am worried about you.

Re: try using capitals :-) (nm)

elliott on 1/06/02 at 22:33 (069017)

Re: ELLIOTT !!!!!! :) EOM

Laurie R on 1/06/02 at 22:57 (069020)

EOM

Re: wendy

rebecca on 1/08/02 at 12:52 (069212)

Dear Wendy,

It is such a pain having someone worried about me!!! I am sooooo offended. NOT. (those caps were especially for elliot) I sincerely appreciate your concern.

Actually, I am doing an experiment to see if messages this 'far gone' on the message board actually get read. : )

Now, to your question. I emailed my doctor today about using the wheelchair. He actually phoned me (even though its long distance) and we talked about it. He said it would be better for me to be up and about, as long as the pain is tolerable. Soooo.....I guess I'm back on my feet now. At least as much as I can stand. I also go back next week for further treatment and evaluation. The doctor wanted me to come in sooner but I can't because of an out-of-town trip with my husband.

So...do messages this far gone get read?!!!

see ya around the message boards
rebecca

Re: Well, I read it!

elliott on 1/08/02 at 13:26 (069222)

I usually don't read stuff after it drops off the first page, but I recently discovered the 'Messages Posted Since Your Last Visit' feature on the main message board. Check it out! If I haven't checked the boards in a little while, that feature can be useful to see what new posts there are, if any--often none, so this saves time from clicking on each board. (But I wish there were an easy way to see which board the message has been posted on. Scott?) If away too long, there are just too many posts that it's not worth it. But I saw yours!! I won't tell Wendy; let's see if she notices (but she's so popular that others might email her to let her know, thereby ruining the experiment).

---

Re: and it's starting to look like wendyn failed the test :-) (nm)

elliott on 1/08/02 at 21:32 (069276)

Re: To Elliott - my nemesis (sp?)

wendyn on 1/09/02 at 13:38 (069359)

Ha for you.

I actually always use the 'View in Reverse'. I read magazines backwards too.

I banned myself from the board last night because I was never going to find anything nice to say.

Re: you get no credit :-)

elliott on 1/09/02 at 23:27 (069442)

I don't have to believe you, cuz Rebecca already tipped you off to these posts in her EARLIER post appearing in your 'But first a disclaimer' thread. And you posted several replies on other boards after these posts appeared without replying here. Ha for you. :-)

You read magazines backwards? You have something in common with us men. I read somehere (backwards, of course :-)) that women typically read a magazine in order, as they trust whoever put it together. Men, OTOH, expect come-ons in the beginning and so turn to the end first where they expect to see the useful stuff hidden.

---

wendyn on 1/09/02 at 23:40 (069446)

Elliott - we are on the board at the same time - too bad we don't both have IM.

Kay - I phess up. I missed Rebecca's response the first time - BUT I have an excuse. I was sneaking through a few posts when I was at work - and I must have missed that one. I try to get them all - but I'm imperfect.

But it just felt so good to say 'HA' anyway.

rebecca h on 1/10/02 at 01:42 (069454)

you guys are crackin' me up.

Re: progress!

elliott on 1/10/02 at 10:17 (069490)

In previous threads between me and Wendy, others chuckle at just Wendy's humor. Now I get to share. She said 'you guys'!

-----