Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

"I see the light" (?) !!! (one of life's little victories)

Posted by Carole C on 1/04/02 at 16:03 (068719)

I don't know how disabled all of you are or aren't, and probably none of you live alone but there are people here worse off than me and I'm sure at least SOME of you can understand what I'm about to relate.

The lightbulb in my hallway burned out in November and I was too proud to ask for help. I'm a heavy woman of 53 and at that time my PF was so bad that there was no way I was going to be able to climb up and change it. Even standing up seemed like pretty risky business as far as straining my PF. When walking in the hallway I have been fumbling in the dark and/or using a flashlight since it burned out. Well, I just surprised the heck out of myself by climbing up and very carefully changing the lightbulb, FINALLY! Wahoo!!! This was a big victory for me to be able to do it. I didn't hurt my PF or feel like I was in any danger of falling, either.

(grinning from ear to ear!) And I HAVE LIGHT!!!!!!! It's gorgeous. :)

So, what can I give my cool pedorthist for a 'thank you' gift? It's been 24 days since she made my custom orthotics, and I am healing so nicely when I wear them, and from what I can tell from the message board she did an unusually excellent job at a moderate price. Any ideas?

Carole

Re: Let your light SHINE! :-)

Suzanne D on 1/04/02 at 16:12 (068721)

Dear Carole,
That is good news! And there is no 'little' victory!! :-)

As far as some 'thank you' gift, how about a wonderful, heartfelt note to her expressing your feelings and gratitude? From all the posts of yours I have read, I see that you write very well, and I think you could do a good job expressing your appreciation.

I have received a few heartfelt notes from parents during my 22 years of teaching, and I have saved each of them. EVERYTHING that any student or parent has ever given me has been truly appreciated and valued, and I have loved all of them. But, these notes...they were special.

Just a thought from my experiences. And I am sure she would be more than happy to know that you would recommend her services to others as well!

Glad you continue to improve, Carole.

Re: "I see the light" (?) !!! (one of life's little victories)

rebecca h on 1/04/02 at 16:14 (068723)

How about a gift certificate to a nice restaurant? Or department store?
Or maybe just a big bouquet of flowers? Or a positive letter telling her how much she did for you? That might mean more than all the others combined!

I'm so glad you are getting better! May your healing never cease! : )

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 16:21 (068725)

That's a great idea! The point of the gift is not to show her that I'm rich (I'm not), but to show her that what she does truly has made a gigantic difference in my life. So a note is a good idea. Thanks!

Carole C

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 16:26 (068726)

Thank you! You and Suzanne had the same thought about the letter. That sounds really good to me. Maybe I could take her some flowers with the letter attached to it.

And thank you for the good wishes. Sometimes it seems to take FOREVER to heal, but like weight loss, every now and then something happens that makes me see that there has been a change (however slow). I could never have dealt with that light bulb a month ago.

I sure wish the same healing for you! It will happen eventually but I know that you and I both wish it would happen for you sooner! By the way, are you feeling any improvement yet? I've been thinking that 3-4 days after you started resting completely, it might start to improve.

Carole C

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 16:36 (068728)

Oh Rebecca..... I just read your post on the Ask the Foot Doctors board. I hadn't read it when I asked how you are doing.

{{{{{{{{{{ Rebecca! }}}}}}}}}}}

I'm so sorry that you aren't feeling better yet! I wish I knew how long it will be before you are feeling better, but I don't know anything about feet other than my own.

Just hope you know that we really do care.

Carole C

Re: to Rebecca...

Suzanne D on 1/04/02 at 17:17 (068734)

I'm sorry, too, Rebecca, that you have to be off your feet and have so much wrong with them. I know that you have a very good dr. from what I have read, and I know you will get better! But I hope that one of the doctors can answer your question and help give you an idea of what to expect. Did your dr. give you any kind of timetable? When do you go back again?

If I can help in any small way by sending you a website one of your children might like to help keep them occupied or in any other way you can think of, let me know.

You are in my thoughts and prayers! :-)

Beverly on 1/04/02 at 17:46 (068739)

Carol,

I'm glad you are feeling better. I know how much self-esteem comes from being able to do little fix it stuff for oneself. I have absolutely no mechanical skills. This extends to lightbulbs in ceilings with light fixtures. I remember the first time I tried to change one and was successful, I felt like I was on my way to being a 'handiperson'!
Well, since PF and ankles problems, I let the maintenance man at my apartment do these things for me.
Best wishes,
Beverly

Laurie R on 1/04/02 at 18:04 (068743)

Dear Carol , This is a big deal for someone that has PF .. I am very proud of you for doing this and not hurting your foot. What is did fo rmy wonderful Pod was , I got him and his main nurse two thank you cards and I wrote from my heart. This is the doctor that is going to be doing my surgery . I wrote to each of them and thanked them so much for putting up with me and my foot problems for so long. I also told my Pod about my goal for after surgery . I was really surprised when I went to my next appointment that he thanked me for the card... Not that I wanted a thank you for it , I was thanking him , I was just surprised he remembered . Now that made me feel so good.
I was told a long time ago by my GYN doctor that it makes them feel so good to get thank you cards or letters. I bet it does , everyone likes to hear thank you and how much you appreciate them..

I think flower's would be a great gift to go with your card or letter.

I hope you continue to do better ... My very best to you , Laurie R

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 18:24 (068745)

I guess I could have let the maintenance man do it. But I've always been pretty independent and have taken care of these things by myself, even back when that was not in fashion. So I just couldn't bring myself to ask for help for something like that. Guess I am way too proud about that kind of thing. I was going to ask my ex-boyfriend Frank, the one that moved to Connecticutt a couple of years ago and who dropped by to say hello over the holidays while he was in town. But although he admits to 5'4', when he was here I realized that he is probably closer to 5'1'. I don't know if he could have reached it even on a chair. My new flame Leo is tall, but I get flustered just saying 'hello' to him, and could scarcely ask him the time much less ask him to change my lightbulb. New romances can be like that.

I did ask my property management people to have the maintenance man flip the circuit breaker outside last week, because I couldn't get to it due to rust and lack of strength. But in that case I didn't have a choice.

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 18:28 (068746)

Thank you, Laurie! I will write a letter or card, then. And yes, it was a very big deal for me. It made me feel like I am capable of doing something all by myself. :)

I am going to rest my feet for a day or so, just to be safe, and massage them and stretch and so on, but so far so good. No detectable damage.

Carole

JudyS on 1/04/02 at 19:01 (068749)

Way to go, Carol! Everyone here knows that PF healing is measured in very small increments so kudos to you for achieving at least one of those increments!

Necee on 1/04/02 at 23:41 (068781)

CONGRATULATIONS CAROLE!

What you did was a great achievement, especially someone who suffers with PF. I'm so happy for you and hope that you continue to improve.
Like the other gals suggested, I think sending a letter or a Thank You card is a great idea. Just write from your heart as you did here and I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated.
Happy Trails....
Necee

Re: improving by leaps and bounds this week!!!!!

Carole C on 1/05/02 at 10:00 (068798)

I agree, I'm going to send her a Thank You card. It's the least I can do!

My improvement this week has been nothing short of miraculous. I only had to work two half days (well I was out with a sore throat for the rest). So, I got a lot of rest in. Other than one grocery shopping trip, I've not done much at all.

Today at 9:30 AM I am feeling better than I have since September. I got up early and did three loads of laundry, cleaned the kitchen, and took a shower (including 10 seconds of standing up in the shower for an experiment). And yet my feet feel wonderful still! Pain level only 1.

If this improvement continues at this rate, in a couple of weeks I may be back to a more or less normal life except for my shoes, including more exercise! I am so excited about the possibilities. Of course PF has been a real roller coaster to me so I am trying not to get my heart set on things unfolding as I expect. Still, tomorrow I am planning to go to WalMart to see if my feet can handle that and still feel this good; and I suspect they will. It seems like my feet are bound and determined to heal even when I challenge them a little, which is a big 180 from the way things were. All I can say is *** WOW ***! I sure didn't expect this.

Carole C

Carole C on 1/05/02 at 10:03 (068799)

Thanks! I achieved yet another one today by standing up for about 10 seconds in the shower (the first time since I bought my shower stool about a month ago). I did it carefully after finishing most of my shower sitting down, and I didn't injure my PF. I'm AMAZED!!!!! Not only that, I feel so clean. (giggle)

Carole C

Re: The male ego likes to help with handiman things.

Beverly on 1/05/02 at 11:34 (068812)

Carole,

I'm glad you are doing better.
Unless northern men are very different from southern men, it is almost in their genes to enjoy being a 'hero.' I never hesitate to ask any available man for simple hero tasks.

For instance, last week there was a big ugly bird standing infront of the front door to my apartment's hallway. I don't like birds. After yelling at it from a distance and finding it did not want to budge, I sat in my truck and waited until a guy walked by, and asked him if he'd shoo away the bird.
Well, he thought it was funny and was glad to help. He had to really shoo it alot to get it to move, and I knew I never would have been that brave. (There is a certain species of big black bird down here in the South that is aggressive and will actually fly in your hair and dive bomb if pissed off.)
Take care,
Beverly

Carole C on 1/05/02 at 12:16 (068816)

Beverly,

I live in the New Orleans metro area! (grin)

Carole C

Re: Good luck on your Wal-Mart trip!

Suzanne D on 1/05/02 at 13:01 (068821)

Carole, I hope that you really ENJOY your Wal-Mart trip!!! I know that you have been looking forward to the time that you might be able to do just that, and it has come sooner than you dared to hope!

I hope your improvement continues!! You sound as if you are making much faster progress than many of us here, and I am VERY HAPPY for you!! :-)

Carole C on 1/05/02 at 14:34 (068827)

It was wonderful! I didn't go to WalMart after all, but went to two grocery stores looking for something that I needed. It was lots of walking, and I did just fine! I may go to WalMart later today or tomorrow.

It seems like once my feet began to heal, they got better a whole lot faster than I would have expected. I will still try to be a little careful though because I don't want to have another setback.

I'm totally puzzled by why I'm recovering so fast. (?) Maybe for once, I'm the lucky one. I do need to write that thank you letter to my pedorthist. I see now why she has the reputation of being a miracle worker.

Carole C

JudyS on 1/06/02 at 10:25 (068934)

Carole, haven't you heard? WalMart is actually GOOD for your feet! :)

Carole C on 1/06/02 at 10:59 (068946)

Yay! I can't wait then :) And if WalMart is GOOD for my feet, then Circuit City and SAMs and CompUSA and the Pet Warehouse and the furniture store and Office Depot, and, and...... well they might ALL be good for my feet! LOL Can you tell that I am excited? LOL I am going to be cautious and logical about this, though, because I've waited this long and I don't want to get set back again.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/04/02 at 16:12 (068721)

Dear Carole,
That is good news! And there is no 'little' victory!! :-)

As far as some 'thank you' gift, how about a wonderful, heartfelt note to her expressing your feelings and gratitude? From all the posts of yours I have read, I see that you write very well, and I think you could do a good job expressing your appreciation.

I have received a few heartfelt notes from parents during my 22 years of teaching, and I have saved each of them. EVERYTHING that any student or parent has ever given me has been truly appreciated and valued, and I have loved all of them. But, these notes...they were special.

Just a thought from my experiences. And I am sure she would be more than happy to know that you would recommend her services to others as well!

Glad you continue to improve, Carole.

rebecca h on 1/04/02 at 16:14 (068723)

How about a gift certificate to a nice restaurant? Or department store?
Or maybe just a big bouquet of flowers? Or a positive letter telling her how much she did for you? That might mean more than all the others combined!

I'm so glad you are getting better! May your healing never cease! : )

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 16:21 (068725)

That's a great idea! The point of the gift is not to show her that I'm rich (I'm not), but to show her that what she does truly has made a gigantic difference in my life. So a note is a good idea. Thanks!

Carole C

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 16:26 (068726)

Thank you! You and Suzanne had the same thought about the letter. That sounds really good to me. Maybe I could take her some flowers with the letter attached to it.

And thank you for the good wishes. Sometimes it seems to take FOREVER to heal, but like weight loss, every now and then something happens that makes me see that there has been a change (however slow). I could never have dealt with that light bulb a month ago.

I sure wish the same healing for you! It will happen eventually but I know that you and I both wish it would happen for you sooner! By the way, are you feeling any improvement yet? I've been thinking that 3-4 days after you started resting completely, it might start to improve.

Carole C

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 16:36 (068728)

Oh Rebecca..... I just read your post on the Ask the Foot Doctors board. I hadn't read it when I asked how you are doing.

{{{{{{{{{{ Rebecca! }}}}}}}}}}}

I'm so sorry that you aren't feeling better yet! I wish I knew how long it will be before you are feeling better, but I don't know anything about feet other than my own.

Just hope you know that we really do care.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/04/02 at 17:17 (068734)

I'm sorry, too, Rebecca, that you have to be off your feet and have so much wrong with them. I know that you have a very good dr. from what I have read, and I know you will get better! But I hope that one of the doctors can answer your question and help give you an idea of what to expect. Did your dr. give you any kind of timetable? When do you go back again?

If I can help in any small way by sending you a website one of your children might like to help keep them occupied or in any other way you can think of, let me know.

You are in my thoughts and prayers! :-)

Beverly on 1/04/02 at 17:46 (068739)

Carol,

I'm glad you are feeling better. I know how much self-esteem comes from being able to do little fix it stuff for oneself. I have absolutely no mechanical skills. This extends to lightbulbs in ceilings with light fixtures. I remember the first time I tried to change one and was successful, I felt like I was on my way to being a 'handiperson'!
Well, since PF and ankles problems, I let the maintenance man at my apartment do these things for me.
Best wishes,
Beverly

Laurie R on 1/04/02 at 18:04 (068743)

Dear Carol , This is a big deal for someone that has PF .. I am very proud of you for doing this and not hurting your foot. What is did fo rmy wonderful Pod was , I got him and his main nurse two thank you cards and I wrote from my heart. This is the doctor that is going to be doing my surgery . I wrote to each of them and thanked them so much for putting up with me and my foot problems for so long. I also told my Pod about my goal for after surgery . I was really surprised when I went to my next appointment that he thanked me for the card... Not that I wanted a thank you for it , I was thanking him , I was just surprised he remembered . Now that made me feel so good.
I was told a long time ago by my GYN doctor that it makes them feel so good to get thank you cards or letters. I bet it does , everyone likes to hear thank you and how much you appreciate them..

I think flower's would be a great gift to go with your card or letter.

I hope you continue to do better ... My very best to you , Laurie R

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 18:24 (068745)

I guess I could have let the maintenance man do it. But I've always been pretty independent and have taken care of these things by myself, even back when that was not in fashion. So I just couldn't bring myself to ask for help for something like that. Guess I am way too proud about that kind of thing. I was going to ask my ex-boyfriend Frank, the one that moved to Connecticutt a couple of years ago and who dropped by to say hello over the holidays while he was in town. But although he admits to 5'4', when he was here I realized that he is probably closer to 5'1'. I don't know if he could have reached it even on a chair. My new flame Leo is tall, but I get flustered just saying 'hello' to him, and could scarcely ask him the time much less ask him to change my lightbulb. New romances can be like that.

I did ask my property management people to have the maintenance man flip the circuit breaker outside last week, because I couldn't get to it due to rust and lack of strength. But in that case I didn't have a choice.

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 18:28 (068746)

Thank you, Laurie! I will write a letter or card, then. And yes, it was a very big deal for me. It made me feel like I am capable of doing something all by myself. :)

I am going to rest my feet for a day or so, just to be safe, and massage them and stretch and so on, but so far so good. No detectable damage.

Carole

JudyS on 1/04/02 at 19:01 (068749)

Way to go, Carol! Everyone here knows that PF healing is measured in very small increments so kudos to you for achieving at least one of those increments!

Necee on 1/04/02 at 23:41 (068781)

CONGRATULATIONS CAROLE!

What you did was a great achievement, especially someone who suffers with PF. I'm so happy for you and hope that you continue to improve.
Like the other gals suggested, I think sending a letter or a Thank You card is a great idea. Just write from your heart as you did here and I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated.
Happy Trails....
Necee

Carole C on 1/05/02 at 10:00 (068798)

I agree, I'm going to send her a Thank You card. It's the least I can do!

My improvement this week has been nothing short of miraculous. I only had to work two half days (well I was out with a sore throat for the rest). So, I got a lot of rest in. Other than one grocery shopping trip, I've not done much at all.

Today at 9:30 AM I am feeling better than I have since September. I got up early and did three loads of laundry, cleaned the kitchen, and took a shower (including 10 seconds of standing up in the shower for an experiment). And yet my feet feel wonderful still! Pain level only 1.

If this improvement continues at this rate, in a couple of weeks I may be back to a more or less normal life except for my shoes, including more exercise! I am so excited about the possibilities. Of course PF has been a real roller coaster to me so I am trying not to get my heart set on things unfolding as I expect. Still, tomorrow I am planning to go to WalMart to see if my feet can handle that and still feel this good; and I suspect they will. It seems like my feet are bound and determined to heal even when I challenge them a little, which is a big 180 from the way things were. All I can say is *** WOW ***! I sure didn't expect this.

Carole C

Carole C on 1/05/02 at 10:03 (068799)

Thanks! I achieved yet another one today by standing up for about 10 seconds in the shower (the first time since I bought my shower stool about a month ago). I did it carefully after finishing most of my shower sitting down, and I didn't injure my PF. I'm AMAZED!!!!! Not only that, I feel so clean. (giggle)

Carole C

Beverly on 1/05/02 at 11:34 (068812)

Carole,

I'm glad you are doing better.
Unless northern men are very different from southern men, it is almost in their genes to enjoy being a 'hero.' I never hesitate to ask any available man for simple hero tasks.

For instance, last week there was a big ugly bird standing infront of the front door to my apartment's hallway. I don't like birds. After yelling at it from a distance and finding it did not want to budge, I sat in my truck and waited until a guy walked by, and asked him if he'd shoo away the bird.
Well, he thought it was funny and was glad to help. He had to really shoo it alot to get it to move, and I knew I never would have been that brave. (There is a certain species of big black bird down here in the South that is aggressive and will actually fly in your hair and dive bomb if pissed off.)
Take care,
Beverly

Carole C on 1/05/02 at 12:16 (068816)

Beverly,

I live in the New Orleans metro area! (grin)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/05/02 at 13:01 (068821)

Carole, I hope that you really ENJOY your Wal-Mart trip!!! I know that you have been looking forward to the time that you might be able to do just that, and it has come sooner than you dared to hope!

I hope your improvement continues!! You sound as if you are making much faster progress than many of us here, and I am VERY HAPPY for you!! :-)

Carole C on 1/05/02 at 14:34 (068827)

It was wonderful! I didn't go to WalMart after all, but went to two grocery stores looking for something that I needed. It was lots of walking, and I did just fine! I may go to WalMart later today or tomorrow.

It seems like once my feet began to heal, they got better a whole lot faster than I would have expected. I will still try to be a little careful though because I don't want to have another setback.

I'm totally puzzled by why I'm recovering so fast. (?) Maybe for once, I'm the lucky one. I do need to write that thank you letter to my pedorthist. I see now why she has the reputation of being a miracle worker.

Carole C

JudyS on 1/06/02 at 10:25 (068934)

Carole, haven't you heard? WalMart is actually GOOD for your feet! :)

Carole C on 1/06/02 at 10:59 (068946)

Yay! I can't wait then :) And if WalMart is GOOD for my feet, then Circuit City and SAMs and CompUSA and the Pet Warehouse and the furniture store and Office Depot, and, and...... well they might ALL be good for my feet! LOL Can you tell that I am excited? LOL I am going to be cautious and logical about this, though, because I've waited this long and I don't want to get set back again.

Carole C