Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Necee, we have had one bird come to our tree!

Posted by Suzanne D on 1/04/02 at 16:27 (068727)

Dear Necee,
We went back to school Wednesday, and I did as planned and had the children smear peanut butter on pine cones and then roll them in bird seed and sunflower seed. (I followed your suggestions and got a variety of feed!) We bundled up and went outside and hung them on this big cedar someone gave me (their left-over Christmas tree). My first graders were SO excited! The tree is pretty tall, and I put it in a big bucket filled with rocks. Of course I had to reach a lot of the taller branches, but they thought it was great fun to go outside and do this.

Of course, as soon as we came in, they began looking out to see if the birds had arrived yet! I told them that I had a friend (you!) who had told me we would have to give them time. The next morning it was funny: they went straight to our windows and told me they were SURE birds had been there for they knew some of the birdseed was gone! :-) Of course we saw no birds yesterday or today, but then this afternoon after the children left, I was still in the room working, and my college daughter came in for a few minutes. She said, 'Mama, there's a bird in your tree!' I missed it, for by the time I looked out it was gone. But that's a good sign, isn't it? I was happy, and now I am hopeful the children will see some Monday.

The children are really getting into this study! Someone found a neat internet site which I showed them today in which you click on a bird's picture and can also click to hear the bird's chirp as well as a short video clip. I have a connection from my computer to my t.v., so they could see it well that way. They are becoming little ornithologists! (I hope I got that right!)

I wanted to update you on our little project. Thanks for your interest!

Re: Necee, we have had one bird come to our tree!

Necee on 1/04/02 at 23:16 (068778)

Suzanne thats fantastic!
I'm so excited for you and your children. Now that they have discovered a food source there, they will be back. I'm so glad that you gave them a variety of seeds, it should be interesting to see which ones they prefer.
Also I was wondering about a water source for them. If you have a small waterer you could hang it in your tree also.
Keep me posted, and let me know if I can help you in any way.
Happy Trails....
Necee

Suzanne D on 1/05/02 at 13:05 (068822)

Thanks, Necee, for another good suggestion concerning the waterer to hang in the tree. I am going to see about getting one of those!

I appreciate your being such a good 'resource' for our little project! :-)
Have a nice weekend!

Valerie S on 1/05/02 at 15:06 (068833)

Suzanne,

I hope I'm not butting in, but I wanted to tell you how much I loved your story about the pinecone birdfeeders! We made those when I was in Girl Scouts, and I was actually thinking of doing it again... I think the little black squirrel might come and bury it though... ha ha. He steals everything!

I saw this project again on the Do-It-Yourself network, and she put a red ribbon bow on the bottom of the pinecone, saying that birds are attracted to bright colors... If you didn't already, you might be able to tie some red string, yarn, or ribbons into your tree. In the spring, they will take it to weave into their nests too - how festive! Just a thought.

I really enjoyed your success story, and you have inspired me to try it afterall. My cat thanks you too... she's a windowsill pussycat, and will love watching the birds, if I can get them to come...

Good luck and have fun!

Val.

Carmen on 1/05/02 at 19:25 (068872)

Suzanne
How could they not want to visit you and your kids??
;-)
those birds know where kindness is.

Suzanne D on 1/05/02 at 20:51 (068878)

Dear Valerie,
Of course you are not 'butting in'! I love to read everyone's thoughts and comments! Thanks for your idea about the bright ribbons! I had used some light colored yarn - because that is what I had - to tie on the pine cones. I have some bright ribbon, and we can add that to the tree next week. I appreciate the suggestion!

I'm glad you were inspired! I hope you and your cat enjoy your project!

:-) Suzanne

Suzanne D on 1/05/02 at 20:52 (068879)

Dear Carmen,

You are always so sweet! Thanks, and have a GOOD weekend! :-)

Suzanne

Necee on 1/04/02 at 23:16 (068778)

Suzanne thats fantastic!
I'm so excited for you and your children. Now that they have discovered a food source there, they will be back. I'm so glad that you gave them a variety of seeds, it should be interesting to see which ones they prefer.
Also I was wondering about a water source for them. If you have a small waterer you could hang it in your tree also.
Keep me posted, and let me know if I can help you in any way.
Happy Trails....
Necee

Suzanne D on 1/05/02 at 13:05 (068822)

Thanks, Necee, for another good suggestion concerning the waterer to hang in the tree. I am going to see about getting one of those!

I appreciate your being such a good 'resource' for our little project! :-)
Have a nice weekend!

Valerie S on 1/05/02 at 15:06 (068833)

Suzanne,

I hope I'm not butting in, but I wanted to tell you how much I loved your story about the pinecone birdfeeders! We made those when I was in Girl Scouts, and I was actually thinking of doing it again... I think the little black squirrel might come and bury it though... ha ha. He steals everything!

I saw this project again on the Do-It-Yourself network, and she put a red ribbon bow on the bottom of the pinecone, saying that birds are attracted to bright colors... If you didn't already, you might be able to tie some red string, yarn, or ribbons into your tree. In the spring, they will take it to weave into their nests too - how festive! Just a thought.

I really enjoyed your success story, and you have inspired me to try it afterall. My cat thanks you too... she's a windowsill pussycat, and will love watching the birds, if I can get them to come...

Good luck and have fun!

Val.

Carmen on 1/05/02 at 19:25 (068872)

Suzanne
How could they not want to visit you and your kids??
;-)
those birds know where kindness is.

Suzanne D on 1/05/02 at 20:51 (068878)

Dear Valerie,
Of course you are not 'butting in'! I love to read everyone's thoughts and comments! Thanks for your idea about the bright ribbons! I had used some light colored yarn - because that is what I had - to tie on the pine cones. I have some bright ribbon, and we can add that to the tree next week. I appreciate the suggestion!

I'm glad you were inspired! I hope you and your cat enjoy your project!

:-) Suzanne

Suzanne D on 1/05/02 at 20:52 (068879)

Dear Carmen,

You are always so sweet! Thanks, and have a GOOD weekend! :-)

Suzanne