Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How long can I wear ankle brace without weakening muscles?

Posted by Beverly on 1/04/02 at 17:57 (068741)

I've been wearing an ASO Ankle Stablizer on both ankles for several weeks. It seems to be helping... at least some. I sure can tell the difference if I leave the house without it. I only wear them when going out of the house or if I'm at home and cooking or cleaning. Basically, if I'm going to be on my feet more than five minutes, I usually put them on.

So, how long is it ok to wear an ankle brace? I don't want to weaken the muscles/tendons by wearing it too long. I have PTTD, PF, AT. It is especially helping the PTT.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: What I mean is how many weeks is it ok to wear one?

Beverly on 1/04/02 at 17:58 (068742)

eom..

Re: How long can I wear ankle brace without weakening muscles?

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/04/02 at 21:29 (068768)

I am not familiar with that particular type of brace. If you have advanced PTTD you are much better off wearing a brace that allows you to get around, get activities and exercise done yet protect the PT tendon from further degeneration. You can make up for the potential weakening effects on muscles that a brace can cause via non-weight bearing exercise including swimming. If your PTTD is stage 1 or early stage 2, a functional orthotic such as a Meuller TPD would give you the support and comfort you require without the possibility of muscle atrophy.
Ed

Re: What are these different stages of PTTD? Thanks.

Beverly on 1/05/02 at 11:43 (068813)

Thanks, Dr. Ed.,

I have custom orthodics that do help. My PTT had almost healed until about six weeks ago when I reinjured it. The orthopedic surgeon said it was NOT torn but was was badly bruised and he said he could feel it's puffiness.
I couldn't see any bruise, but he said he could feel it.
My MRI showed slight inflammation but nothing else.
It is painful to walk for more than five or ten minutes.
The brace seems to be helping. My massage therapist says she feels less inflammation than before.

No one has ever mentioned these different stages of PTTD? What are they?

It is very difficult to get into see the doctor more than every couple of months, and that is why so often my followup questions end up on the Board.

I am doing nonweightbearing stretches, and range of motion 3x a day.
I can do about five per stretch and hold for five seconds. That is up from when I first reinjured and could only do it to the point of stretch.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: What I mean is how many weeks is it ok to wear one?

Beverly on 1/04/02 at 17:58 (068742)

eom..

Re: How long can I wear ankle brace without weakening muscles?

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/04/02 at 21:29 (068768)

I am not familiar with that particular type of brace. If you have advanced PTTD you are much better off wearing a brace that allows you to get around, get activities and exercise done yet protect the PT tendon from further degeneration. You can make up for the potential weakening effects on muscles that a brace can cause via non-weight bearing exercise including swimming. If your PTTD is stage 1 or early stage 2, a functional orthotic such as a Meuller TPD would give you the support and comfort you require without the possibility of muscle atrophy.
Ed

Re: What are these different stages of PTTD? Thanks.

Beverly on 1/05/02 at 11:43 (068813)

Thanks, Dr. Ed.,

I have custom orthodics that do help. My PTT had almost healed until about six weeks ago when I reinjured it. The orthopedic surgeon said it was NOT torn but was was badly bruised and he said he could feel it's puffiness.
I couldn't see any bruise, but he said he could feel it.
My MRI showed slight inflammation but nothing else.
It is painful to walk for more than five or ten minutes.
The brace seems to be helping. My massage therapist says she feels less inflammation than before.

No one has ever mentioned these different stages of PTTD? What are they?

It is very difficult to get into see the doctor more than every couple of months, and that is why so often my followup questions end up on the Board.

I am doing nonweightbearing stretches, and range of motion 3x a day.
I can do about five per stretch and hold for five seconds. That is up from when I first reinjured and could only do it to the point of stretch.
Thanks,
Beverly