Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

INFO ON SHOCK WAVE MACHINES ....

Posted by Lis on 1/05/02 at 05:45 (068788)

Hi Gang,
Here are a couple of sites (in English) where you can see the two 'state of the art' shock wave machines I am familiar with. I was wrong to state that my machine was the Orthowave. I called Dr. Vulpiani and found out it was the even more advanced Storz MiniLTH - SL1 - with ultrasound. Storz also make a lot of other sophisticated medical machines.
Storz even supply Bausch and Lomb their laser and other microsurgery machines :
http://www.bausch.com/us/resource/surgical/instruments/index.jsp

Storz Shock wave site:
http://www.storzmedical.com/English/Products/Products.html

Orthowave site: http://www.orthowave.de (select for English at the site)

I know that the FDA is in the process of approving the Orthowave machine. I would imagine that they have or will also pass the Stroz machine because Storz already supplies many USA hospitals and Bausch and Lomb with machines.
I firmly believe that these machines should be used by medical doctors and that insurance should cover them. I think we should all write to congressmen and insurance companies demanding coverage. We were or are all nearly cripples from PF and heelspurs, tendonitis and other conditions and these machines have been proven to help many sufferers.
As far as PF goes, exercises and their respective apparatuses, rest and ice and yoga and anti-inflammatory creams and cortisone, etc. can all help but chronic PF can only be cured with shock wave. The key words here are 'chronic' and 'cured'. By 'chronic' I mean you have had it a long time and you have tried most of the conservative measures and you are still disabled by it. Surgery has a very low success rate and can even aggravate conditions.
Shock Wave treatments here in a private hospital performed by a medical doctor (not covered by insurance or State medical assistance) cost $125.00 per session. I think if a doctor or hospital charges much more than this then they are simply cheating people.
The treatment for chronic Plantar Fasciitis consists, with the Stroz machine, of 5 sessions, one week apart lasting 30 minutes (2700 self administered 'clicks') at a medium low setting. I did it without anesthesia because my doctor informed me that even a needle into the fascia or tendon could do further damage. I chose not to take the risk and I 'bit the bullet'. It hurts but it is tolerable. It feels like a mini-hammer is beating with each click on the already painful site of the condition. You know when the machine is aligned perfectly because it is unfortunately the place it hurts the most!
The doctor will do test shocks to see the highest level of your tolerance - if you chose to do it as I did without anesthesia. The ultrasound on the Stroz machine can help align the shocks but the true indicator is where it hurts the most.
After each session I noted improvement. Eight weeks after my last treatment and I am totally pain free. It is simply gone. They boast an 80 percent success rate. That means that 80 out of a hundred people will experience a complete cure. I guess the other 20 percent will be partial or no relief at all. I hope you are all in the 80 percentile range!!!
The treatment can be repeated 6 to 8 months after the last one if it doesn't work the first time or you only get partial relief. In medicine, 80 percent gives you pretty good odds.
If anyone would like to see medical literature regarding the efficacy of the shock wave treatments I will be happy to look them up on the Internet and post them.
Even though I was a cripple (and a depressive) for over a year but now it's gone, I intend to write whatever letters I can write and research whatever I can find because I am thrilled I found a cure and I know how many people are disabled by PF in the USA and it's just damn unfair that you can't get the same treatment I was able to find in Europe.
My email address is loiserskine@ tin.it if you would like me to clarify anything I have inadvertently left out. Those 'threads' kind of drive me crazy but I will answer those also although I always fear missing one!
Some readers have responded negatively to my postings - that is your prerogative but please don't write me at my personal email site just to send me hate mail. It is not productive and I don't have time for it. I'm not out to step on anyone's vested interest, I just want to help people who have all but given up hope.
KEEP THE FAITH !!!
Lis

Re: INFO ON SHOCK WAVE MACHINES ....

Carmen on 1/05/02 at 08:45 (068792)

I certainly hope no one would step over those bounds and write you hateful mail at your personal address. THAT is stepping over the line.
You may want to post your information on the treatment support page if you haven't already.....people visit there for this type of information.

Dr. Zuckeman on 1/05/02 at 10:40 (068803)

Hello,

I agree with everything you have stated. I was sitting with my the head of my ESWT program and we were talking about insurance coverage. The problem with insurance coverage or a reasonable fee for these treatments depends on a few things.

1. Change the FDA process so that the companies can use this as the reason for the cost of the machine. Do you know an ossatron in Europe is about
$80,000 not the $500,00

2 The company mark up for ESWT machine is really high. In Europe and other areas then the USA the cost of the machine is just too high .

Only allow the use of these machine in an ASC or make the ASC fee maybe $400=500 dollars.

Yes lets write . First we need to write to the FDA. I will have name of this person on Monday for all who wish to write and express their feeling.

Lis on 1/05/02 at 10:55 (068805)

Dr. Z,
I asked Dr. Vulpiani. The Storz machine with ultrasound costs $250,000.00 here. Very expensive regrettably because it is a great machine.
I will write to anyone you can give me an address for to complain about the treatments not being covered by insurance. It angers me that so many people could benefit but can't pay for it out of pocket. I could because it only costs $600.00 not $6,000.00 for 5 sessions here. Otherwsie I would still be a cripple.
Looking forward to any addresses you can give us. We'll blanket them with letters !!!
Lis

Christine F on 1/06/02 at 08:56 (068915)

I have a question.....I know you stated you had no pain after treatment, but is your pf still as tight as a piano wire? Or is everything fulled streached out and are you cured completley? I have experienced unbareable pf in both feet. I have tried everything, my Dr and physical therapists all have said they have never seen it this bad in someone so young and average-under weight. I have seen absolutly zero results in 6 months and am doing everything I am supossed to be doing. Although it has only been 6 months, I wouldn't hesetate getting this treatment if it is a guarentee. Why haven't all pf gone for this treatment?

Dr. Zuckeman on 1/06/02 at 09:24 (068923)

There is very specific indications for ESWT. The pain has to be located where the plantar fascia inserts into the bottom of the heel. All other reasons such as nerve damaged , tendon tear, stress fracture, lower back involvement to name a few condition. Nothing is 100% perfect as a treatment but ESWT is a good one if you are in pain and have plantar fasciitis at the insertion of the plantar fascia.

Christine F on 1/06/02 at 09:37 (068927)

So if I have pf all over my feet (under my arches is the most tender spot to touch) I wouldn't be a candidate? What are my options then?
Nerve damage.....is that why if the 8 cortsone shots that were injected in my right foot 3 days ago don't work they want to do blood work on me?? What would that prove? I don't have pain in any other part of my body, or joints, how would one detect nerve damage?

JudyS on 1/06/02 at 10:57 (068945)

Thank you, Lis, for your excellent information here. You've given us that much more to work with in our quest for ESWT knowledge and advancement.

Dr. Zuckeman on 1/06/02 at 15:30 (068976)

Hi,
Under the arch could be a problem with your posterior tibial tendon No more steriod injections in your feet. !! Blood work will help to determine
any arthritic problem that may be going on . Very important to do these tests since you have bilateral pf. Blood work won't rule out any nerve damage or involvement.

Carmen on 1/05/02 at 08:45 (068792)

I certainly hope no one would step over those bounds and write you hateful mail at your personal address. THAT is stepping over the line.
You may want to post your information on the treatment support page if you haven't already.....people visit there for this type of information.

Dr. Zuckeman on 1/05/02 at 10:40 (068803)

Hello,

I agree with everything you have stated. I was sitting with my the head of my ESWT program and we were talking about insurance coverage. The problem with insurance coverage or a reasonable fee for these treatments depends on a few things.

1. Change the FDA process so that the companies can use this as the reason for the cost of the machine. Do you know an ossatron in Europe is about
$80,000 not the $500,00

2 The company mark up for ESWT machine is really high. In Europe and other areas then the USA the cost of the machine is just too high .

Only allow the use of these machine in an ASC or make the ASC fee maybe $400=500 dollars.

Yes lets write . First we need to write to the FDA. I will have name of this person on Monday for all who wish to write and express their feeling.

Lis on 1/05/02 at 10:55 (068805)

Dr. Z,
I asked Dr. Vulpiani. The Storz machine with ultrasound costs $250,000.00 here. Very expensive regrettably because it is a great machine.
I will write to anyone you can give me an address for to complain about the treatments not being covered by insurance. It angers me that so many people could benefit but can't pay for it out of pocket. I could because it only costs $600.00 not $6,000.00 for 5 sessions here. Otherwsie I would still be a cripple.
Looking forward to any addresses you can give us. We'll blanket them with letters !!!
Lis

Christine F on 1/06/02 at 08:56 (068915)

I have a question.....I know you stated you had no pain after treatment, but is your pf still as tight as a piano wire? Or is everything fulled streached out and are you cured completley? I have experienced unbareable pf in both feet. I have tried everything, my Dr and physical therapists all have said they have never seen it this bad in someone so young and average-under weight. I have seen absolutly zero results in 6 months and am doing everything I am supossed to be doing. Although it has only been 6 months, I wouldn't hesetate getting this treatment if it is a guarentee. Why haven't all pf gone for this treatment?

Dr. Zuckeman on 1/06/02 at 09:24 (068923)

There is very specific indications for ESWT. The pain has to be located where the plantar fascia inserts into the bottom of the heel. All other reasons such as nerve damaged , tendon tear, stress fracture, lower back involvement to name a few condition. Nothing is 100% perfect as a treatment but ESWT is a good one if you are in pain and have plantar fasciitis at the insertion of the plantar fascia.

Christine F on 1/06/02 at 09:37 (068927)

So if I have pf all over my feet (under my arches is the most tender spot to touch) I wouldn't be a candidate? What are my options then?
Nerve damage.....is that why if the 8 cortsone shots that were injected in my right foot 3 days ago don't work they want to do blood work on me?? What would that prove? I don't have pain in any other part of my body, or joints, how would one detect nerve damage?

JudyS on 1/06/02 at 10:57 (068945)

Thank you, Lis, for your excellent information here. You've given us that much more to work with in our quest for ESWT knowledge and advancement.

Dr. Zuckeman on 1/06/02 at 15:30 (068976)

Hi,
Under the arch could be a problem with your posterior tibial tendon No more steriod injections in your feet. !! Blood work will help to determine
any arthritic problem that may be going on . Very important to do these tests since you have bilateral pf. Blood work won't rule out any nerve damage or involvement.