Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nasty Flu going around

Posted by Anthony P on 1/05/02 at 15:02 (068831)

Hello everyone , Just wanted to wish you all a Happy New Year .I've been in bed since New Years eve . My wife and kid have this too.
And on top of that I have a infected big toe around the nail and puss is
coming out ,man its painful, I soak it everyday in epsom salt.
IS there anything else that may help ??
My best to all Anthony P

Re: Icky toe

wendyn on 1/05/02 at 15:05 (068832)

Anthony - you MUST see a doctor.

If there is pus coming out and you are ill (flu or not) you need to have it checked.

Re: Infected toe

Valerie S on 1/05/02 at 15:10 (068834)

Anthony,

Sorry to hear that you are sick. Wendy is right... go to the doctor!

I don't know if this is what you might have, but I suffered from ingrown toenails for years, and they would get all oozy and I know how they hurt! You probaby need antibiotics or something, at least... Don't let it go!

I hope you feel better soon.

Val.

Anthony P on 1/05/02 at 15:13 (068835)

Wendy , I did see the doc 2 days ago it hasnt got any better the doc said
my flu antibiotic should help that too

Re: Nasty Flu going around

Carole C on 1/05/02 at 15:19 (068837)

I am not medically trained and my only qualifications are as a mommy of a little girl that survived all the perils of childhood and continued on into adulthood (she's 23 now and still has all her toes! LOL). Anyway, here's my suggestion:

Soaking it is the best thing I can think of (other than seeing a doctor and getting on antibiotics, which you probably need to do!). Meanwhile, soak it several times a day for a long time each time. A short soak once a day won't do much. Soak at least a half hour. Let it air dry between times.

Sorry to hear about your flu! I am so glad that I got my flu shot this year, for the first time since the mid 90's. I got a very mild cold, with slight sore throat, a little sinus, and grumpiness last week, but no flu. A lot of people here seem to be getting the flu lately, too.

Carole C

Re: Thank You ,Wendy Valerie Carole

Anthony P on 1/05/02 at 16:03 (068844)

Thanks for all the Fast advise, I will give that a try Carole :)
Anthony P

wendyn on 1/05/02 at 18:07 (068863)

Anthony - I am happy to hear you had it checked out and that you are on meds.

I had ingrown toe-nails following a rather expensive pedicure, and I did some research on the net.

I found horror stories of people who let them go WAY too long and then ended up with gangrene in their feet. Fortunately mine resolved without infecting - but I would keep a close watch on it.

Antibiotics usually work pretty fast, if you don't see some improvement by Monday - I'd call the doctor.

Don't trim your toenails too short - and try to trim them straight across - also avoid shoes with tight toe boxes. And, if you have a pedicure and you notice that he/she is trimming the toe nails WAY too short...say something (don't sit they're like a dummy like I did.)

Laurie R on 1/05/02 at 19:23 (068871)

Hi Anthony , I am really sorry to hear that you and your family have the nasty flu. I also have it , I have had it now for about 4 days . Both of my girls had it and of course they passed it along to me ... It is so nasty . One good thing is I don't have a fevor , but my head feels like a football feild ... I don't like taking cold meds , plus I take enough meds anyway .... I hope your toe heals fast and that you and your family feels better real soon......Laurie R

Re: Laurie &Anthony, flu bug go away

Tammie on 1/05/02 at 19:29 (068875)

Laurie and Anthony,
Hope that flu bug goes away soon and that you and your families feel better soon! Yes I hear it is around , we have been blessed so far as it has not invaded our home to awaful yet. Also where I work it tends to hit hard and really has not as of yet but we fear it will soon! So keep the chin up and lots of tissues and hot drinks and soup in the house! Wash and wash those hands! LOL that is what is drilled into us at work. Take care and hope that u all feel better real soon!

Tammie on 1/05/02 at 19:35 (068876)

Take good care of that infected toe, my son has just gone thru having two of his ingrown large toenails removed! The pod was horrified that he left go for so long as they to were seepy and infected the pus was nasty stinky! They gave him some kinda foot soak pk and told him to be sure he kept them dry and clean and loose shoes in toe area. He also was put on a antibiotic before they would even do anthing but soak and clean it. They can get very nasty. By the way he had one done by a primary dr. and one by the pod he said pod alllllllll the way mom they know what they are doing and they do not hurt u anywhere near like the family dr. He said they know just where and how to do it. Just a added tidbit , as the one the family doc did had to be redone, along with his other foot.

Suzanne D on 1/05/02 at 20:54 (068880)

GET WELL SOON - to you and your family!!

Perhaps some antibiotic cream to put on your toe after soaking and drying off might help. Something like bactroban...

Take care!
Suzanne

Re: flu antibiotic??

alan k on 1/06/02 at 07:34 (068898)

I don't think there is such a thing as flu antibiotic. You should continue taking whatever your doctor gave you, but also call her or him again to say your symptoms are not improving, and try and force things a little to make her or him give you a judgement about exactly what is wrong. Seems like the info is not flowing accurately and freely.

You can always go to other patients and popular experience for extra ways to treat ailments and symptoms, but we'll always need doctors for diagnosis and for treatments for which there is no alternative. You should try and get a firm pronouncement on the nature of your condition.

alan k

Re: antibiotics

Carole C on 1/06/02 at 08:19 (068902)

You are right that flu is not cured with antibiotics. Wouldn't it be nice if it could be? :) Anyway, sometimes antibiotics are prescribed to people with the flu to prevent complications which can be even worse than the flu, like bacterial pneumonia.

Carole C

wendyn on 1/06/02 at 09:02 (068917)

Thanks Alan, I thought the same thing.

Flu's aren't treated with antibiotics - but if he has a secondary infection that could be what they're for.

Not all infections respond to all antibiotics - so I still think if it doesn't improve quickly he'd better call the doctor again.

JudyS on 1/06/02 at 10:28 (068935)

I ditto Wendy, Anthony. If there is pus present and you have the flu, then your natural resources are at a low and that toe infection could get much worse. I'm not sure the epsom salts are quite the thing for this. (oops, sorry......I'm a Mom and you KNOW how we can get...!)

JudyS on 1/06/02 at 10:32 (068936)

Oops, sorry again Anthony for sounding like a Mom but.......if you've actually been on an antibiotic already, the toe should have responded by now. Are you sure the doc said he has you on a flu 'antibiotic'? Usually antibiotics are not effective for the flu. I was wondering if it could be some other med he has you on?
OK I admit it.......I just sent my youngest back to college so I'm clearly desperate for somebody to take care of! Hope that toe is better today.

Laurie R on 1/06/02 at 10:49 (068943)

Dear Judy , I know you are to young to be my mom , but you can mother me all you want ....I also have this nasty flu bug . Frist the kids got it and of course then I ... I am just waiting for big baby Rico to get it .. Of course he will think he is dying and have to lay down for a week in bed.. Oh it is so nasty too... It is all in head and it feels like I got kicked in the face ... Last night I started to feel much better , then I woke today and it was all back again... It has been 4 days so far. No fevor thank God , casue I am one that will not go to the doctors unless I am dying......I'm sure most people don't mind to be mothered when they are sick .....My mom comes over yesterday and says to me , you people are always sick... I say thanks mom glad you care....... Glad to see you back mama Judy .... Laurie R

JudyS on 1/06/02 at 11:39 (068951)

I suspect you'd be better at mothering me, Laurie! I got the 'bug from hell' the day after Christmas (my analogy was something like 'a Mac Truck is training on my head').....was totally down for the first four or five days, had to cancel my son's 21st birthday party, had laryngitis for four days, and still have fatigue and congestion minimally.... everyone I know who has had it said it's longetivity is common. We should have been suffering together! Luckily, none of the 'bigger babies' in my house got it.

Re: for Judy...

Suzanne D on 1/06/02 at 12:26 (068958)

I understand where you are coming from on sending your child back to college! :-) Just about the time we get used to them being with us, it's time for them to leave again.

Hope you get some rest now. We'll just have to look forward to spring break now, won't we?!

Re: THANK YOU

Anthony P on 1/06/02 at 17:13 (068987)

Thank you, all for the kind words ,Laurie hope your over this flu in no time . Today I'm feeling better just real weak The toe is still very soar
so wearing a shoe is painful ,its on the left foot that I had the surgery. back to useing crutches again Dont want to mess up anything else
by walking bare foot .The antibiotic I'm taking is Zithromax
Judy (mom) HE HE :)
I'm gonna see the doc tommorow let you all know how it turns out
My Best Anthony P

Re: I think I brought it home...

Carmen on 1/06/02 at 17:33 (068989)

I got the flu on Christmas day....but I slept 12 hours and woke up with no symptoms.
I think I brought it home to you guys....sorry. :-(
Feel better soon EVERYone!
REST REST REST!!!
Oh! and garlic is great for the flu.

JudyS on 1/06/02 at 20:44 (069003)

So THAT'S where it came from! Carmen you little devil......I thought we were your friends! :)

john h on 1/07/02 at 10:18 (069047)

Don't any of you guys get the flu shot? I do every year and have not had the flu in 30 years. While you are at it get the shot for pneumonia as it last for 10 or more years. Yes I know all you anti flu people will say the flu shot give you the flu but that dog does not hunt.

Re: I am I am!!!!

Carmen on 1/07/02 at 12:44 (069066)

I am your friend! really!!!! I am sorry I got you sick. :-(
Forgiven?

john h on 1/07/02 at 13:47 (069073)

Carmen you sound exactly like Mary. When, as I always do, put them in the washer and put them up she tells me I am loading them wrong or not putting them up properly.

Re: southern accent...

Suzanne D on 1/07/02 at 15:30 (069090)

As someone else with a strong southern accent, I would enjoy talking with your husband! :-) I am full of 'country expressions' which I remember my daddy used to say such as 'I'd like to buy him for what he's worth and sell him for what he THINKS he's worth!', 'You don't miss the water 'till the well runs dry', etc. I didn't realize how many of these expressions were part of my daily speech until I left home and began noticing people getting strange looks on their faces from time to time as I was talking to them! :-) And I DID (oops; I'm capitalizing, too!) have to take note that children often take things quite literally! In one of my early years of teaching, I told a child to go 'crack the window a little bit', and he looked at me with an odd expression, then shrugged his shoulders and said, 'O.K.!' and drew back his fist. I stopped him just in time! I became a little more careful after that!

Carmen on 1/07/02 at 16:00 (069101)

funny funny!!!! On the first date with my husband we went to a really nice Thai restaurant in Little Five Points ,Atlanta and the waitress was explaining the sauce that came with the Basil rolls was a Plum sauce.
He breaks out with 'What the hell is PUMP sauce?'

Ahhhh....I thought to myself....a man after my heart.
ha!
He was a meat and potatos guy until we started dating....I made him Seared Tuna with ginger sauce,homemade spaghetti...etc. He'd never even had turkey bacon before!
You two would have a hoot of a time!

Carmen on 1/07/02 at 16:01 (069102)

Welllll....there really IS a proper way to load.
;-)

Nancy N on 1/07/02 at 16:51 (069113)

Suzanne--

When I was in Ireland about 6 years ago, I said something about cracking the window and got the same strange looks. And I am from Pennsylvania, originally, so it must not be a strictly southern saying.

My mom has had some interesting expressions, mostly inherited from her mother. She often talks about being busier than a one-armed paperhanger, or my personal favorite--'Well, that went over like a pregnant high-jumper!' I didn't realize that it wasn't a commonly-known phrase until I got to college and people would either burst out laughing or look at me like I had six heads when I'd say it.

Suzanne D on 1/07/02 at 20:30 (069124)

Carmen, I guess I've always been somewhat of a 'meat and potatoes' kind of person, too! My daddy never wanted Mama to make any casseroles as he said he liked to know what he was eating and didn't want any of it mixed up! That made him kind of suspicious! :-) Now we didn't eat 'road kill' or anything like that, but I think you get the picture! I can remember as a little girl going to a restaurant (probably for the first time) and asking (a little too loudly), 'What is that weed doing on my plate??' (parsely!) I've 'improved' a little through the years, but of course most of the food I eat is elementary school lunchroom food, so... :-)

Tell your husband to bring you to see me sometime, and I will make him some fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and hot rolls!

Suzanne D on 1/07/02 at 20:34 (069125)

Nancy, I like those expressions! Those are new ones to me! There was an older man who lived a few miles from here - all alone - that we sort of 'adopted' in our family several years ago. He used to call me whenever he thought of a new expression that he hadn't told me to see if I had heard. He always wanted to stump me with a new one, but I had heard most of them!

My daddy used to say, 'That went over like a lead balloon!'

Nancy N on 1/07/02 at 20:49 (069127)

I saw the paperhanger one in print a few weeks ago, and was surprised--I thought that one was a Grandma original, too. But I wonder if she didn't make up the high-jumper, because nobody else seems to have heard it before. But who knows? :)

john h on 1/08/02 at 10:45 (069192)

It has been a long time but I have eaten oppossum,squirril,raccons, brains and eggs, and some other disgusting parts of animals you do not even want to hear about. Yes this was the old south in western North Carolina. Now days it is steak or prime rib and potatoes. I feed the oppossum,squirrilss,and raccoons regularly in my back yard.

wendyn on 1/05/02 at 15:05 (068832)

Anthony - you MUST see a doctor.

If there is pus coming out and you are ill (flu or not) you need to have it checked.

Re: Infected toe

Valerie S on 1/05/02 at 15:10 (068834)

Anthony,

Sorry to hear that you are sick. Wendy is right... go to the doctor!

I don't know if this is what you might have, but I suffered from ingrown toenails for years, and they would get all oozy and I know how they hurt! You probaby need antibiotics or something, at least... Don't let it go!

I hope you feel better soon.

Val.

Anthony P on 1/05/02 at 15:13 (068835)

Wendy , I did see the doc 2 days ago it hasnt got any better the doc said
my flu antibiotic should help that too

Carole C on 1/05/02 at 15:19 (068837)

I am not medically trained and my only qualifications are as a mommy of a little girl that survived all the perils of childhood and continued on into adulthood (she's 23 now and still has all her toes! LOL). Anyway, here's my suggestion:

Soaking it is the best thing I can think of (other than seeing a doctor and getting on antibiotics, which you probably need to do!). Meanwhile, soak it several times a day for a long time each time. A short soak once a day won't do much. Soak at least a half hour. Let it air dry between times.

Sorry to hear about your flu! I am so glad that I got my flu shot this year, for the first time since the mid 90's. I got a very mild cold, with slight sore throat, a little sinus, and grumpiness last week, but no flu. A lot of people here seem to be getting the flu lately, too.

Carole C

Anthony P on 1/05/02 at 16:03 (068844)

Thanks for all the Fast advise, I will give that a try Carole :)
Anthony P

wendyn on 1/05/02 at 18:07 (068863)

Anthony - I am happy to hear you had it checked out and that you are on meds.

I had ingrown toe-nails following a rather expensive pedicure, and I did some research on the net.

I found horror stories of people who let them go WAY too long and then ended up with gangrene in their feet. Fortunately mine resolved without infecting - but I would keep a close watch on it.

Antibiotics usually work pretty fast, if you don't see some improvement by Monday - I'd call the doctor.

Don't trim your toenails too short - and try to trim them straight across - also avoid shoes with tight toe boxes. And, if you have a pedicure and you notice that he/she is trimming the toe nails WAY too short...say something (don't sit they're like a dummy like I did.)

Laurie R on 1/05/02 at 19:23 (068871)

Hi Anthony , I am really sorry to hear that you and your family have the nasty flu. I also have it , I have had it now for about 4 days . Both of my girls had it and of course they passed it along to me ... It is so nasty . One good thing is I don't have a fevor , but my head feels like a football feild ... I don't like taking cold meds , plus I take enough meds anyway .... I hope your toe heals fast and that you and your family feels better real soon......Laurie R

Re: Laurie &Anthony, flu bug go away

Tammie on 1/05/02 at 19:29 (068875)

Laurie and Anthony,
Hope that flu bug goes away soon and that you and your families feel better soon! Yes I hear it is around , we have been blessed so far as it has not invaded our home to awaful yet. Also where I work it tends to hit hard and really has not as of yet but we fear it will soon! So keep the chin up and lots of tissues and hot drinks and soup in the house! Wash and wash those hands! LOL that is what is drilled into us at work. Take care and hope that u all feel better real soon!

Tammie on 1/05/02 at 19:35 (068876)

Take good care of that infected toe, my son has just gone thru having two of his ingrown large toenails removed! The pod was horrified that he left go for so long as they to were seepy and infected the pus was nasty stinky! They gave him some kinda foot soak pk and told him to be sure he kept them dry and clean and loose shoes in toe area. He also was put on a antibiotic before they would even do anthing but soak and clean it. They can get very nasty. By the way he had one done by a primary dr. and one by the pod he said pod alllllllll the way mom they know what they are doing and they do not hurt u anywhere near like the family dr. He said they know just where and how to do it. Just a added tidbit , as the one the family doc did had to be redone, along with his other foot.

Suzanne D on 1/05/02 at 20:54 (068880)

GET WELL SOON - to you and your family!!

Perhaps some antibiotic cream to put on your toe after soaking and drying off might help. Something like bactroban...

Take care!
Suzanne

alan k on 1/06/02 at 07:34 (068898)

I don't think there is such a thing as flu antibiotic. You should continue taking whatever your doctor gave you, but also call her or him again to say your symptoms are not improving, and try and force things a little to make her or him give you a judgement about exactly what is wrong. Seems like the info is not flowing accurately and freely.

You can always go to other patients and popular experience for extra ways to treat ailments and symptoms, but we'll always need doctors for diagnosis and for treatments for which there is no alternative. You should try and get a firm pronouncement on the nature of your condition.

alan k

Re: antibiotics

Carole C on 1/06/02 at 08:19 (068902)

You are right that flu is not cured with antibiotics. Wouldn't it be nice if it could be? :) Anyway, sometimes antibiotics are prescribed to people with the flu to prevent complications which can be even worse than the flu, like bacterial pneumonia.

Carole C

wendyn on 1/06/02 at 09:02 (068917)

Thanks Alan, I thought the same thing.

Flu's aren't treated with antibiotics - but if he has a secondary infection that could be what they're for.

Not all infections respond to all antibiotics - so I still think if it doesn't improve quickly he'd better call the doctor again.

JudyS on 1/06/02 at 10:28 (068935)

I ditto Wendy, Anthony. If there is pus present and you have the flu, then your natural resources are at a low and that toe infection could get much worse. I'm not sure the epsom salts are quite the thing for this. (oops, sorry......I'm a Mom and you KNOW how we can get...!)

JudyS on 1/06/02 at 10:32 (068936)

Oops, sorry again Anthony for sounding like a Mom but.......if you've actually been on an antibiotic already, the toe should have responded by now. Are you sure the doc said he has you on a flu 'antibiotic'? Usually antibiotics are not effective for the flu. I was wondering if it could be some other med he has you on?
OK I admit it.......I just sent my youngest back to college so I'm clearly desperate for somebody to take care of! Hope that toe is better today.

Laurie R on 1/06/02 at 10:49 (068943)

Dear Judy , I know you are to young to be my mom , but you can mother me all you want ....I also have this nasty flu bug . Frist the kids got it and of course then I ... I am just waiting for big baby Rico to get it .. Of course he will think he is dying and have to lay down for a week in bed.. Oh it is so nasty too... It is all in head and it feels like I got kicked in the face ... Last night I started to feel much better , then I woke today and it was all back again... It has been 4 days so far. No fevor thank God , casue I am one that will not go to the doctors unless I am dying......I'm sure most people don't mind to be mothered when they are sick .....My mom comes over yesterday and says to me , you people are always sick... I say thanks mom glad you care....... Glad to see you back mama Judy .... Laurie R

JudyS on 1/06/02 at 11:39 (068951)

I suspect you'd be better at mothering me, Laurie! I got the 'bug from hell' the day after Christmas (my analogy was something like 'a Mac Truck is training on my head').....was totally down for the first four or five days, had to cancel my son's 21st birthday party, had laryngitis for four days, and still have fatigue and congestion minimally.... everyone I know who has had it said it's longetivity is common. We should have been suffering together! Luckily, none of the 'bigger babies' in my house got it.

Re: for Judy...

Suzanne D on 1/06/02 at 12:26 (068958)

I understand where you are coming from on sending your child back to college! :-) Just about the time we get used to them being with us, it's time for them to leave again.

Hope you get some rest now. We'll just have to look forward to spring break now, won't we?!

Re: THANK YOU

Anthony P on 1/06/02 at 17:13 (068987)

Thank you, all for the kind words ,Laurie hope your over this flu in no time . Today I'm feeling better just real weak The toe is still very soar
so wearing a shoe is painful ,its on the left foot that I had the surgery. back to useing crutches again Dont want to mess up anything else
by walking bare foot .The antibiotic I'm taking is Zithromax
Judy (mom) HE HE :)
I'm gonna see the doc tommorow let you all know how it turns out
My Best Anthony P

Carmen on 1/06/02 at 17:33 (068989)

I got the flu on Christmas day....but I slept 12 hours and woke up with no symptoms.
I think I brought it home to you guys....sorry. :-(
Feel better soon EVERYone!
REST REST REST!!!
Oh! and garlic is great for the flu.

JudyS on 1/06/02 at 20:44 (069003)

So THAT'S where it came from! Carmen you little devil......I thought we were your friends! :)

john h on 1/07/02 at 10:18 (069047)

Don't any of you guys get the flu shot? I do every year and have not had the flu in 30 years. While you are at it get the shot for pneumonia as it last for 10 or more years. Yes I know all you anti flu people will say the flu shot give you the flu but that dog does not hunt.

Re: I am I am!!!!

Carmen on 1/07/02 at 12:44 (069066)

I am your friend! really!!!! I am sorry I got you sick. :-(
Forgiven?

john h on 1/07/02 at 13:47 (069073)

Carmen you sound exactly like Mary. When, as I always do, put them in the washer and put them up she tells me I am loading them wrong or not putting them up properly.

Suzanne D on 1/07/02 at 15:30 (069090)

As someone else with a strong southern accent, I would enjoy talking with your husband! :-) I am full of 'country expressions' which I remember my daddy used to say such as 'I'd like to buy him for what he's worth and sell him for what he THINKS he's worth!', 'You don't miss the water 'till the well runs dry', etc. I didn't realize how many of these expressions were part of my daily speech until I left home and began noticing people getting strange looks on their faces from time to time as I was talking to them! :-) And I DID (oops; I'm capitalizing, too!) have to take note that children often take things quite literally! In one of my early years of teaching, I told a child to go 'crack the window a little bit', and he looked at me with an odd expression, then shrugged his shoulders and said, 'O.K.!' and drew back his fist. I stopped him just in time! I became a little more careful after that!

Carmen on 1/07/02 at 16:00 (069101)

funny funny!!!! On the first date with my husband we went to a really nice Thai restaurant in Little Five Points ,Atlanta and the waitress was explaining the sauce that came with the Basil rolls was a Plum sauce.
He breaks out with 'What the hell is PUMP sauce?'

Ahhhh....I thought to myself....a man after my heart.
ha!
He was a meat and potatos guy until we started dating....I made him Seared Tuna with ginger sauce,homemade spaghetti...etc. He'd never even had turkey bacon before!
You two would have a hoot of a time!

Carmen on 1/07/02 at 16:01 (069102)

Welllll....there really IS a proper way to load.
;-)

Nancy N on 1/07/02 at 16:51 (069113)

Suzanne--

When I was in Ireland about 6 years ago, I said something about cracking the window and got the same strange looks. And I am from Pennsylvania, originally, so it must not be a strictly southern saying.

My mom has had some interesting expressions, mostly inherited from her mother. She often talks about being busier than a one-armed paperhanger, or my personal favorite--'Well, that went over like a pregnant high-jumper!' I didn't realize that it wasn't a commonly-known phrase until I got to college and people would either burst out laughing or look at me like I had six heads when I'd say it.

Suzanne D on 1/07/02 at 20:30 (069124)

Carmen, I guess I've always been somewhat of a 'meat and potatoes' kind of person, too! My daddy never wanted Mama to make any casseroles as he said he liked to know what he was eating and didn't want any of it mixed up! That made him kind of suspicious! :-) Now we didn't eat 'road kill' or anything like that, but I think you get the picture! I can remember as a little girl going to a restaurant (probably for the first time) and asking (a little too loudly), 'What is that weed doing on my plate??' (parsely!) I've 'improved' a little through the years, but of course most of the food I eat is elementary school lunchroom food, so... :-)

Tell your husband to bring you to see me sometime, and I will make him some fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and hot rolls!

Suzanne D on 1/07/02 at 20:34 (069125)

Nancy, I like those expressions! Those are new ones to me! There was an older man who lived a few miles from here - all alone - that we sort of 'adopted' in our family several years ago. He used to call me whenever he thought of a new expression that he hadn't told me to see if I had heard. He always wanted to stump me with a new one, but I had heard most of them!

My daddy used to say, 'That went over like a lead balloon!'

Nancy N on 1/07/02 at 20:49 (069127)

I saw the paperhanger one in print a few weeks ago, and was surprised--I thought that one was a Grandma original, too. But I wonder if she didn't make up the high-jumper, because nobody else seems to have heard it before. But who knows? :)

john h on 1/08/02 at 10:45 (069192)

It has been a long time but I have eaten oppossum,squirril,raccons, brains and eggs, and some other disgusting parts of animals you do not even want to hear about. Yes this was the old south in western North Carolina. Now days it is steak or prime rib and potatoes. I feed the oppossum,squirrilss,and raccoons regularly in my back yard.