Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

icing feet in winter

Posted by paula on 1/05/02 at 16:38 (068849)

well here's an unusual post. my new physical therapist is not as into icing as the others. then i read a post on this board i think by dr wander discussing ice and heat and prolotherapy and i think ultra sound. i'd just gotten back from pt where she ultra sounded an inflamed area of arch and it felt great. so i thought if heat from ultrasound helps lessen inflammation and pain and heals me why not try heat from moist heating pad. well it is helping me more than ice. it seems to make inflammation, redness, pain go away. i have been an ice maniac for a year and a half. how can heat be helping inflammation? i have no idea. but i now love my heating pad more than my partner and more than my cat and am setting up an alter to worship it.

Re: icing feet in winter

JudyS on 1/06/02 at 11:18 (068948)

Hi Paula - I was reading about your 'heat' therapy and though I'd tell you about a device I have - it's a heating/foot massager from Homedics. I have it on the floor under my desk so I use it frequently when I'm on the computer. I love it! A word to the wise, too....sometimes too much heat can cause tendons/muscles to dehydrate and be too stiff so it helps to drink lots of fluids to balance it out.

John h on 1/06/02 at 16:20 (068982)

Hey Judy how about hiding someone like me or your John under the desk as sort of an automatic foot massager.

JudyS on 1/06/02 at 11:18 (068948)

Hi Paula - I was reading about your 'heat' therapy and though I'd tell you about a device I have - it's a heating/foot massager from Homedics. I have it on the floor under my desk so I use it frequently when I'm on the computer. I love it! A word to the wise, too....sometimes too much heat can cause tendons/muscles to dehydrate and be too stiff so it helps to drink lots of fluids to balance it out.

John h on 1/06/02 at 16:20 (068982)

Hey Judy how about hiding someone like me or your John under the desk as sort of an automatic foot massager.