Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS and Custom Orthotics

Posted by Don on 1/05/02 at 18:52 (068866)

Has anyone out there had any relief from TTS symptoms using custom orthotics? Also has anyone experienced TTS and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome at the same time? I think I have both. CTS is just beginning I think. Thanks

Re: TTS and Custom Orthotics

wendyn on 1/05/02 at 23:23 (068892)

Yes and Yes.

Yes - I have experienced A LOT of relief with orthotics, BUT I also firmly believe that my previous pair of very hard plastic orthotics may have actually CAUSED a lot of my problems.

I have mild CTS and TTS as well.

I type a lot, and I have some pretty significant structural problems with my feet.

And I have teeny tiny wrists and teeny tiny ankles.

If you are having numbness, pain and tingling in hands and feet - you must see a doctor for a full medical.

There are things like B12, low thyroid, and diabetes which can all present with similar symptoms. You need to have those ruled out.

Carol C on 1/06/02 at 01:10 (068894)

I never tried Orthotics so I can not speak for them....but I can certianly speak for Carpal Tunnel and Tarsal Tunnel at the same time. I had surgery for Carpal AND Tarsal Tunnel Releases, both on my left side on November 19th. I have also been diagnosed with Right Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
SO...YES!!! It is possible to have both Carpal and Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome
concurrently. And...may I suggest that you think long and hard about having the surgery for both done at the same time. I am sure I will look
back on this some day and be glad that I had them both done at the same
time, but right now, I am still questioning my sanity in having done so.
Good luck to you.

eileenc on 1/06/02 at 09:03 (068918)

May I ask; what are your orthotics made of? I had softer ones made, but the arch was too high ( made for a PF diagnosis) and cut into the inflammed area.

I read on this board a long time ago ( from Dr. Davis?) that a different part of the orthotic should be built up. What area? I know that I walk and stand on the outside of my foot as a result of my injuries.

Re: That is interesting EileenC

Carol C on 1/06/02 at 09:30 (068926)

One of my struggles right now as a post of TTS patient is trying to make myself put my foot flat on the floor as I walk. I find myself always
turning my foot to the outer edge away from the surgical site as I walk.
I try to constantly remind myself to walk with my foot flat but it just
does not occur naturally unless I am looking at my foot and reminding
myself to do so. Anyone have any ideas on why we do this? I was
guessing it is just because I have an 'Open' surgical incision that is
having to heal on its own from the inside out, but if others are doing
it as well, maybe there is more to it.
Thanks

Marty B on 1/06/02 at 22:39 (069018)

4 years ago I tore me plantar and was given some look a like ice scrapers as orthodics. Now I have full blown TTS. If you don't have nerve damage on the bottom of your feet you might be ok. Don't have allot of knowledge about this only my own experiences. I do know that my nerve was aggravated and maybe even damage because of those orthodics.

-Marty

Mike S. on 1/06/02 at 23:20 (069023)

I too have those 'hard plastic orthotics' and am very suspicious of them causing or exacerbating my TTS. I started wearing them after my bilateral neuroma surgery to take some weight off the metatarsals. I didn't NEED to wear them. Now since the surgery, I have TTS worse than I used to AND (here's the spin) now if I don't wear them, my feet hurt more, if I don't wear them for a day, I'm almost crippled. I can't figure out what causes what!

SonnyK on 1/08/02 at 23:24 (069290)

I had TTS surgery in August and had inserts made...it is a little uncomfortable for me to wear them.....I get a cramp in my whole foot alot when I wear them...anyone else get cramps...like really painful ones? The inserts don't seem to make a differnce with my TTS but my ortho says give it time...i have heard a year of recovery for TTS surgery.

wendyn on 1/05/02 at 23:23 (068892)

Yes and Yes.

Yes - I have experienced A LOT of relief with orthotics, BUT I also firmly believe that my previous pair of very hard plastic orthotics may have actually CAUSED a lot of my problems.

I have mild CTS and TTS as well.

I type a lot, and I have some pretty significant structural problems with my feet.

And I have teeny tiny wrists and teeny tiny ankles.

If you are having numbness, pain and tingling in hands and feet - you must see a doctor for a full medical.

There are things like B12, low thyroid, and diabetes which can all present with similar symptoms. You need to have those ruled out.

Carol C on 1/06/02 at 01:10 (068894)

I never tried Orthotics so I can not speak for them....but I can certianly speak for Carpal Tunnel and Tarsal Tunnel at the same time. I had surgery for Carpal AND Tarsal Tunnel Releases, both on my left side on November 19th. I have also been diagnosed with Right Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
SO...YES!!! It is possible to have both Carpal and Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome
concurrently. And...may I suggest that you think long and hard about having the surgery for both done at the same time. I am sure I will look
back on this some day and be glad that I had them both done at the same
time, but right now, I am still questioning my sanity in having done so.
Good luck to you.

eileenc on 1/06/02 at 09:03 (068918)

May I ask; what are your orthotics made of? I had softer ones made, but the arch was too high ( made for a PF diagnosis) and cut into the inflammed area.

I read on this board a long time ago ( from Dr. Davis?) that a different part of the orthotic should be built up. What area? I know that I walk and stand on the outside of my foot as a result of my injuries.

Re: That is interesting EileenC

Carol C on 1/06/02 at 09:30 (068926)

One of my struggles right now as a post of TTS patient is trying to make myself put my foot flat on the floor as I walk. I find myself always
turning my foot to the outer edge away from the surgical site as I walk.
I try to constantly remind myself to walk with my foot flat but it just
does not occur naturally unless I am looking at my foot and reminding
myself to do so. Anyone have any ideas on why we do this? I was
guessing it is just because I have an 'Open' surgical incision that is
having to heal on its own from the inside out, but if others are doing
it as well, maybe there is more to it.
Thanks

Marty B on 1/06/02 at 22:39 (069018)

4 years ago I tore me plantar and was given some look a like ice scrapers as orthodics. Now I have full blown TTS. If you don't have nerve damage on the bottom of your feet you might be ok. Don't have allot of knowledge about this only my own experiences. I do know that my nerve was aggravated and maybe even damage because of those orthodics.

-Marty

Mike S. on 1/06/02 at 23:20 (069023)

I too have those 'hard plastic orthotics' and am very suspicious of them causing or exacerbating my TTS. I started wearing them after my bilateral neuroma surgery to take some weight off the metatarsals. I didn't NEED to wear them. Now since the surgery, I have TTS worse than I used to AND (here's the spin) now if I don't wear them, my feet hurt more, if I don't wear them for a day, I'm almost crippled. I can't figure out what causes what!

SonnyK on 1/08/02 at 23:24 (069290)

I had TTS surgery in August and had inserts made...it is a little uncomfortable for me to wear them.....I get a cramp in my whole foot alot when I wear them...anyone else get cramps...like really painful ones? The inserts don't seem to make a differnce with my TTS but my ortho says give it time...i have heard a year of recovery for TTS surgery.