Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

foot pain.... ALL HELP PLEASE.. Im getting desparate!

Posted by Jason H on 1/06/02 at 11:49 (068953)

hello all..season greeetings and stuff...

I am a 30 year old male with foot problems. I think I have tried all the gadgets and the treatments I think of and read about. My Dr. is trying so hard, but to no avail! I have had partial releases on both feet which didnt help and I have also tried RSWT (Radial shock wave Therapy), and it did help with the inital pain in the morning.. but not the pain after standing or walking for more than 10 minutes. Is RSWT the same as ESWT?

Recently, I have experienced pain in the rear of my heel and its killing me. My feet both hurt, and I am out of ideas. I am not sure what else I can do other than chop off the feet at the ankles!

Tried: RSWT, partial release, therapy, massage, casting, insoles, ibuprofin ointments (piroxicam), stretching, ultrasound, Chinese Medicine, accupuncture, western medicines and rest.

What can I do other than exploratory surgery or amputation?

Any help from anyone would be appreciated... Especially the drs...
my email is: (email removed)

Thanks,

Jason

Re: foot pain.... ALL HELP PLEASE.. Im getting desparate!

Carole C on 1/06/02 at 12:50 (068960)

I'm not a doctor; well, I have that title but not in medicine; I have a Ph.D. in physical oceanography, which won't help you much at all!

BUT.. I am a human being and I can tell you are really hurting and I hope that you can find a way to heal your feet! Here are some questions that may help:

For how long have you been having foot problems?
What kind of foot problems? You only got heel pain later on?
What do you and your doctor think precipitated them?
Have you had any consulting opinions?
Are you located in an area with the best medical care available?

Thanks.

Carole C

Dr. David S. Wander on 1/06/02 at 15:39 (068978)

Unfortunately, it does appear that you've been through an awful lot. Has you doctor performed ordered an MRI to rule out other pathologies, and have you have you been evaluated by a rheumatologist? As I'm sure you know, many patients present with heel pain and are treated conservatively and aggressively, for plantar fasciitis/heel pain syndrome. However, there are many other causes of heel pain that can often mimic plantar fasciitis. I recently saw a male patient in his mid 20's that had seen several podiatrists and orthopedic surgeons for heel pain. He used NSAID's, COX-2 inibitors (Vioxx, Celebrex), had injections, castings, night splints, orthoses, physical therapy and was scheduled for surgery. He was referred to me for a 'second opinon' and there were some other findings during his exam that concerned me. I suspected disorders such as Reiter's Syndrome or Ankylosing Spondylitis, so I had blood tests and an MRI performed which did correlate clinically with Reiter's Syndrome. I referred him to a rheumatolotist for additional studies and the diagnosis was confirmed. I'm not going to list the symptoms of Reiter's or Ankylosing Spondylitis (unless someone specifically asks), because my point is simply to be evaluated by a rheumatologist to make sure your diagnosis of plantar fasciitis is correct. I'm sure there's a light at the end of your tunnel, you must simply search and find the right doc. Good luck.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 1/06/02 at 23:16 (069021)

Is the pain on the BACK of the heel? Do you know if you have a shortening or tightness of the achilles tendon? What was the diagnosis you were given??

Cathy G on 2/04/02 at 17:19 (072565)

Dr. Wander
I have been experiencing heel pain for the last 18 months--during the last two months it has been severe enough to keep me off work. Pain is equal in the centre of both heels, strong ache, increased by weight bearning. Occasionally ache switches to back of heel. No pain on getting up--pain starts within 5 minutes of standing even after considerable rest. I have a sister with Reiter's Syndrome. Would my symptoms indicate seeing a rheumatologist? I am currently being treated for plantar fasciitis. Thank you.

Carole C on 1/06/02 at 12:50 (068960)

I'm not a doctor; well, I have that title but not in medicine; I have a Ph.D. in physical oceanography, which won't help you much at all!

BUT.. I am a human being and I can tell you are really hurting and I hope that you can find a way to heal your feet! Here are some questions that may help:

For how long have you been having foot problems?
What kind of foot problems? You only got heel pain later on?
What do you and your doctor think precipitated them?
Have you had any consulting opinions?
Are you located in an area with the best medical care available?

Thanks.

Carole C

Dr. David S. Wander on 1/06/02 at 15:39 (068978)

Unfortunately, it does appear that you've been through an awful lot. Has you doctor performed ordered an MRI to rule out other pathologies, and have you have you been evaluated by a rheumatologist? As I'm sure you know, many patients present with heel pain and are treated conservatively and aggressively, for plantar fasciitis/heel pain syndrome. However, there are many other causes of heel pain that can often mimic plantar fasciitis. I recently saw a male patient in his mid 20's that had seen several podiatrists and orthopedic surgeons for heel pain. He used NSAID's, COX-2 inibitors (Vioxx, Celebrex), had injections, castings, night splints, orthoses, physical therapy and was scheduled for surgery. He was referred to me for a 'second opinon' and there were some other findings during his exam that concerned me. I suspected disorders such as Reiter's Syndrome or Ankylosing Spondylitis, so I had blood tests and an MRI performed which did correlate clinically with Reiter's Syndrome. I referred him to a rheumatolotist for additional studies and the diagnosis was confirmed. I'm not going to list the symptoms of Reiter's or Ankylosing Spondylitis (unless someone specifically asks), because my point is simply to be evaluated by a rheumatologist to make sure your diagnosis of plantar fasciitis is correct. I'm sure there's a light at the end of your tunnel, you must simply search and find the right doc. Good luck.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 1/06/02 at 23:16 (069021)

Is the pain on the BACK of the heel? Do you know if you have a shortening or tightness of the achilles tendon? What was the diagnosis you were given??

Cathy G on 2/04/02 at 17:19 (072565)

Dr. Wander
I have been experiencing heel pain for the last 18 months--during the last two months it has been severe enough to keep me off work. Pain is equal in the centre of both heels, strong ache, increased by weight bearning. Occasionally ache switches to back of heel. No pain on getting up--pain starts within 5 minutes of standing even after considerable rest. I have a sister with Reiter's Syndrome. Would my symptoms indicate seeing a rheumatologist? I am currently being treated for plantar fasciitis. Thank you.