Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

what is a plantar flexed metatarsal?

Posted by rebecca h on 1/06/02 at 19:55 (068998)

what is a plantar flexed metetarsal?

Re: what is a plantar flexed metatarsal?

Dr. Zuckeman on 1/06/02 at 20:03 (068999)

This is where one of the metatarsal bone is pointed in a downward position in relationship to the other metatarsal bones next to it. look at the palm of your hand, push the knuckle on the top of the hand down that is what a plantar flexed metatarsal head looks and feels like when the podiatrist is examinating your bones.

rebecca h on 1/06/02 at 20:09 (069001)

And what is the treatment?

Dr. Zuckeman on 1/06/02 at 20:44 (069002)

The treatment will depend on how long you have had the problem and what caused the problem. So here goes the list of treatments.

1. padding/ taping/ shoe adjustment
2 local steriod injection with padding /orthosis
3. orthosis
4 surgery to move the bone into a better position

rebecca h on 1/07/02 at 21:38 (069134)

Well, I don't think I have one. I was just wondering what it was since it appears in the 'ball of foot pain' category. Thanks for the info!

Dr. Zuckeman on 1/06/02 at 20:03 (068999)

This is where one of the metatarsal bone is pointed in a downward position in relationship to the other metatarsal bones next to it. look at the palm of your hand, push the knuckle on the top of the hand down that is what a plantar flexed metatarsal head looks and feels like when the podiatrist is examinating your bones.

rebecca h on 1/06/02 at 20:09 (069001)

And what is the treatment?

Dr. Zuckeman on 1/06/02 at 20:44 (069002)

The treatment will depend on how long you have had the problem and what caused the problem. So here goes the list of treatments.

1. padding/ taping/ shoe adjustment
2 local steriod injection with padding /orthosis
3. orthosis
4 surgery to move the bone into a better position

rebecca h on 1/07/02 at 21:38 (069134)

Well, I don't think I have one. I was just wondering what it was since it appears in the 'ball of foot pain' category. Thanks for the info!