Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What next?

Posted by Andrew C on 1/07/02 at 03:53 (069030)

I developed PF in September (caused I think by cycling barefoot) and although it's a lot better it's still not gone completely.

The front inside of my heel is still sensitive to pressure and if I do walk too much I get various aches and pains in the sole. I also find that the edges of my heel sometimes hurt as if they are bruised.

Right now I'm not cycling at all and having rested through most of December I /think/ I'm on the road to recovery. I can now walk for fifteeen/twenty minutes without causing pain but I have a constant low grade 'tenderness' around my sole and the pressure point remains sensitive. I also find it uncomfortable to stand wearing slippers on hard surfaces.

But..it won't get any better. I know that PF can take a long time to heal but I seem to have reached some plateau. I'm wondering if the aching/slipper wearing thing is lack of exercise. Should I perhaps try and ignore it and use my feet more?

Re: What next?

CatherineL on 1/07/02 at 08:23 (069036)

Andrew,

Nooooo. Please don't try to ingore the pain of PF.

My first suggestion would be to wear footwear at all times. Possibly purchase birkenstocks to wear around the house. Antiinflamatories, rest, stretches, taping, icing... but don't ignore it or it will get worse.

Others will offer more great suggestions, as always.

Catherine

Carmen on 1/07/02 at 11:25 (069051)

I am not a doctor and everyone is different but in my own opinion I would definitely NOT recommend 'using the feet more'. Stretching would probably benefit you at this point in your recovery but exercise? NO. Rest is number one. Ditch those slippers immediately...you may as well be barefoot unless they have some great support.

Andrew C on 1/07/02 at 11:32 (069053)

Thanks for the comments. I will try the stretching again but in the early days it hurt like hell so I gave it up. As for the slippers..yeah. I noticed a big improvement over walking bare foot but perhaps I've recovered as far as I can with slippers.

I don't much fancy clumping around the house in shoes (though if it gets rid of PF I'll do it ) but what about trainers?

Re: another barefoot cyclist responds

Carole C on 1/07/02 at 11:52 (069057)

Andrew, your letter almost could have been written by me!

I got PF in September too, I think from cycling on my recumbent bicycle barefoot and without warm-ups and with the seat too far back.

I rested in December quite a bit, like you, and I did not cycle then. I got custom orthotics on December 10th and they have helped a lot. I also have been doing some gentle non-weightbearing stretches, and in December I also was icing my feet.

Right now I'm at the point where I can walk or shop for quite a while, maybe an hour or so without resting and without feeling undue pain. My feet are still tender, like yours, though, and I do not stand or walk except in my Birkestocks or with my custom orthotics. The one exception is for the past few days, when I have been standing from my shower stool for about ten seconds at the end of my shower.

THe big difference between your case and mine is that I think I started out feeling a whole lot more pain (I didn't stop cycling barefoot until October), and I feel like I'm making tremendous progress especially in the last week.

You are right that PF takes a long time to heal. It would probably help you a lot to do some stretching and icing, and to get Birkenstocks or orthotics that are designed to help your feet heal. More exercise might cause your feet to get worse; if you decide to try it, try just a little bit and see how it affects your feet. I've been told that trying to 'walk through the pain' keeps PF from healing.

I have been healing fast, especially in the past two weeks. For me rest, shoes/orthotics designed to help heal my PF, and stretching have all helped a lot.

I hope your feet feel better soon!

Carole C

Carole C on 1/07/02 at 12:02 (069058)

I don't enjoy wearing shoes in the house either (I grew up in Hawaii and I have always spent lots of time barefoot), but I have worn shoes at all times since October when I found this message board.

Don't do the kind of weight bearing stretching that hurts. Do non-weightbearing stretching, and don't let it hurt. If you search the message board, Julie posted some good non-weight bearing stretches. If you can't find them, here's what I do:

Sit on a bed or sofa, with my leg stretched out on the bed or sofa.
Point my toes up towards my face, and inward (pidgeon-toed), and hold for 30 seconds. If that is too long, hold for 10 and work up to 30 eventually.
Repeat.
Do this for both feet 3 times a day; before you get out of bed in the morning, in the evening, and once during the day.

If it doesn't hurt, you can pull gently on your toes while you do this stretch.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/07/02 at 15:20 (069088)

Perhaps you could get some Birkenstock sandals, Andrew. You wouldn't feel quite so much like you are having to wear shoes all the time, (Before PF, I nearly always kicked my shoes off inside the door and walked barefoot in the house...I understand!) and the sandals might really help you. Mine help me. I got them after reading so much about their benefits on this board. As many suggested, I keep them by my bed at night and slip them on first thing in the morning.

Beat wishes to you!

Andrew C on 1/08/02 at 03:19 (069150)

Thanks, I'll give those a try.

I have this hope that I'm on the home stretch with this thing. It never was so painful as to stop me walking or standing and at present if I'm careful I can do what I want. I'm hoping it'll have gone by the time the weather picks up.

I have real sympathy for those who's PF has crippled them.

Andrew C on 1/08/02 at 03:24 (069152)

We do seem to have a similar case but I think I must have responded to the initial problem earlier. I noticed throughout August that I was getting a 'slight twinge' in front of my heel when I stood up after resting and curiousity drove me to do a web search. As a result my PF was (apart from the time when I did wheight style stretches) nothing more than a slight discomfort.

At present we sound to be at about the same stage, although recently both my hands have started to ache which seems odd. At present I'm putting that down to playing a particular computer game and hopefully it will clear up but the thought of getting something like PF in my hands...!

Re: PF of the hands?? AAgh! LOL

Carole C on 1/08/02 at 16:33 (069240)

PF of the hands! Now THERE's a nightmare! LOL

I hope that the aching in your hands clears up really soon and doe not turn out to be like PF!

I do agree that you apparently responded to the initial problem earlier. During September and most of October October I just figured it would go away all by itself, although I did find this message board sometime in October.

Today I wore 'regular shoes' for 9 hours. These were Easy Spirit lace-up shoes, without orthotics. I seemed to do all right, but I didn't walk or stand much and I was glad to get back in my orthotics when I got home. Still, the fact that I could wear regular shoes for a little while tells me that I'm healing.

Carole C

Carole C on 1/08/02 at 16:36 (069242)

It sounds to me like you are on the home stretch, too! It just takes a terribly long time for this PF to heal. Mine was painful enough that I had to stop walking and standing very much, until recently. It sounds like you are doing pretty well. I'm about to the point where if I'm careful I can do things too, though maybe I'm a little cautious because it hurt SO MUCH back in November and early December. I don't want to risk that again.

Carole C

Andrew C on 1/09/02 at 03:07 (069295)

Hmmph - I had a minor set back.

Yesterday I went for a short walk and half way through (only ten minutes) I got a sharpish pain just behind my forefoot. It didn't go away for the walk back (another ten minutes) and this morning it's still there. It's still not enough to stop me walking but it is a set back.

Carole C on 1/09/02 at 07:35 (069302)

Sorry to hear this!!! I hope you iced your foot down and did your gentle stretching. PF is kind of like that.... better, worse, better worse, etc., and it takes such a long time to heal. Still, it sounds like you are on the mend.

Mine is worse today too, because yesterday I did something stupid (well stupid for me). I wore 'regular shoes' yesterday. So today I am back to wearing my custom orthotics in big ugly SAS shoes. I am just too eager to get back to going barefoot and doing whatever I want.

Carole C

Andrew C on 1/09/02 at 07:41 (069303)

I didn't get a chance to ice it but luckily I have a desk job (Computer Programmer) so I only have to get up when nature calls. I even have a water cooler within reach so in theory I could spend all day sat down.

In practice though I like to get up and walk around a bit and at present I can do so without feeling anything if I'm careful. Unfortunately I currently live alone and tonight is shopping night so I'll have to be very careful.

I might try doing the shopping in trainers but last time I walked a lot in them I got aching toes (presumably because of lack of exercise) which was a bit irritating.

Carole C on 1/09/02 at 12:17 (069348)

This is uncanny... my desk (and I have a desk job too) is also right by the water cooler (only about 6 feet from it), and I also live alone. I used to enjoy walking around now and then at work, but don't do it as much any more due to my feet.

When my feet were really bad, and I had no food at home, I used to go to a drive through Subway or Wendy's and order whatever was most nutritious. That way I could wait longer before having to do grocery shopping.

Carole C

Andrew C on 1/10/02 at 02:58 (069457)

Uncanny indeed, although we live in different countries (I'm in the UK) :)

Not being able to walk and chat at work (and in the evenings) is a real downer. Thankfully my hands are improving again so that was just temporary strain.

My feet have never been so bad as to stop me shopping - only enough to slow me down (and after a period of stretching limp a bit). Given that I normally walk a lot faster than most people I'm actually still faster than most .

I'm now puzzled as to whether or not I do have PF so I'm going to do an 'Ask the Doctor'. What makes me wonder is that my pain comes on as I use my feet and mostly takes the form of sensitivity to pressure. I can't 'walk through' the pain. I also find that Aspirin not only gets rid of the pain but appears to definitely assist in healing.

I also find that taking my shoes off while resting helps as does putting my feet up. It certainly sounds like my problem is mostly caused by swelling.

Scott R on 1/10/02 at 06:54 (069461)

Andrew, don't use an 's' in brackets. It makes everyone's screen place a strike through all of the words that follow in all the subsequent messages in some of the message board views. That sort of 's' is web page coding for 'strikethruogh'

Andrew C on 1/10/02 at 07:43 (069466)

Oops - sorry.

Carole C on 1/10/02 at 15:51 (069557)

I don't know if you have PF or not, but it sounds like it to me (except a milder case than mine).

Mine is worse when my feet are swollen, than when they are not. Icing my feet helps the swelling, too. I just get a bag of frozen peas from my freezer and set my foot on it. Aaah! It feels great if my feet are swollen. Various natural diuretics like pure lemon juice with artificial sweetener mixed with hot water help reduce swelling a little. But, the question remains: Why are your feet swollen? They may need rest over a long period of time in order to heal and to reduce the swelling. That is why mine were swelled up. They were strained from riding my bike barefoot, and this was the cause of the swelling, I believe.

New, good quality shoes also seem to help, even if you have good shoes. Many people here do well with Birkenstocks. The Heel Pain Book (which you can read on this website) has lots of helpful ideas.

Carole C

Andrew C on 1/11/02 at 03:43 (069616)

Last night I found a way that I can restart my exercise cycling. I found that if I set the pedal straps to their highest setting and wear my cycling shoes (hard plastic soles with 'hooks' at either end) then the hook at the heel engages the cycle pedal.

This means I can cycle using my heel and as far as I can tell this has no effect on my PF (or whatever it is). It made me feel a lot better to be able to /do/ some form of exercise again so I'm hoping it will not be a problem.

In the meantime my feet are gradually improving after last weekend's set back. I guess it shows that one day of carelessness can cost you a couple of weeks recovery time. Sigh.

Re: Help - first timer.

Lisa P on 1/15/02 at 12:24 (070037)

I developed PF in June 2001 while trying to do sprints to increase my fitness routine. I am fairly athletic (I like competitive tennis, and walking best) and have always been. This injury has really depressed me. I would rather have broken a bone and gotten it over with... Seems each time i think its getting better, BAM and its back. I have been the podiatrist route, and paid the big bucks for the custom orthotics, which seemed to help a little for a while. However I also ordered those Phase 4 orthotics while waiting for the customer ones. Sometimes I think they help more. This site has helped me because I have been very frustrated with my Podiatrist, because they want to collect my money before I see him, and he has yet to do anything that has really helped my problem. This site has helped me to realize that treating this injury really is trial and error, so maybe I shouldn;t blame him so much. He told me the only thing left for me is physical therapy, and then surgury. I'm definitely not inclined to the surgery because I haven't spoken to many people that it's helped. I'm always cold, so I hate icing. But I'm going to try to become more disciplined with the stretching for a longer period of time and see if that helps. I would have never believed this would have lasted so long...However, from this site, it appears this is usually a long-term affliction. Not encouraging. I've had to start wearing shoes in the shower, because it hurt too much to have my bare feet on the shower tile. Has anyone actually CURED this problem for good over any period of time????

Andrew C on 1/17/02 at 03:27 (070236)

I agree about the depression. In my case I wasn't an athlete - just someone who enjoyed a regular evening/afternoon walk and used an exercise bike.

I still don't know what trigged my problem but my doctor now thinks it's my arch rather than PF (although most web sites think it's the same thing). It does mean that I never have pain in my heel (only in front and occasionally along the middle) so I've never been unable to walk.

I've found that wearing trainers with a higher than normal arch support has helped a heck of a lot. Since wearing them all the time (when moving at least) I feet are a lot better. I'm now almost completely recovered from the relapse I had weekend before last.

FWIW my depression was eased a lot when I discovered I could go back to using my exercise bike by pedalling on my heels. I guess my body was just pining for some exercise :)

CatherineL on 1/07/02 at 08:23 (069036)

Andrew,

Nooooo. Please don't try to ingore the pain of PF.

My first suggestion would be to wear footwear at all times. Possibly purchase birkenstocks to wear around the house. Antiinflamatories, rest, stretches, taping, icing... but don't ignore it or it will get worse.

Others will offer more great suggestions, as always.

Catherine

Carmen on 1/07/02 at 11:25 (069051)

I am not a doctor and everyone is different but in my own opinion I would definitely NOT recommend 'using the feet more'. Stretching would probably benefit you at this point in your recovery but exercise? NO. Rest is number one. Ditch those slippers immediately...you may as well be barefoot unless they have some great support.

Andrew C on 1/07/02 at 11:32 (069053)

Thanks for the comments. I will try the stretching again but in the early days it hurt like hell so I gave it up. As for the slippers..yeah. I noticed a big improvement over walking bare foot but perhaps I've recovered as far as I can with slippers.

I don't much fancy clumping around the house in shoes (though if it gets rid of PF I'll do it ) but what about trainers?

Carole C on 1/07/02 at 11:52 (069057)

Andrew, your letter almost could have been written by me!

I got PF in September too, I think from cycling on my recumbent bicycle barefoot and without warm-ups and with the seat too far back.

I rested in December quite a bit, like you, and I did not cycle then. I got custom orthotics on December 10th and they have helped a lot. I also have been doing some gentle non-weightbearing stretches, and in December I also was icing my feet.

Right now I'm at the point where I can walk or shop for quite a while, maybe an hour or so without resting and without feeling undue pain. My feet are still tender, like yours, though, and I do not stand or walk except in my Birkestocks or with my custom orthotics. The one exception is for the past few days, when I have been standing from my shower stool for about ten seconds at the end of my shower.

THe big difference between your case and mine is that I think I started out feeling a whole lot more pain (I didn't stop cycling barefoot until October), and I feel like I'm making tremendous progress especially in the last week.

You are right that PF takes a long time to heal. It would probably help you a lot to do some stretching and icing, and to get Birkenstocks or orthotics that are designed to help your feet heal. More exercise might cause your feet to get worse; if you decide to try it, try just a little bit and see how it affects your feet. I've been told that trying to 'walk through the pain' keeps PF from healing.

I have been healing fast, especially in the past two weeks. For me rest, shoes/orthotics designed to help heal my PF, and stretching have all helped a lot.

I hope your feet feel better soon!

Carole C

Carole C on 1/07/02 at 12:02 (069058)

I don't enjoy wearing shoes in the house either (I grew up in Hawaii and I have always spent lots of time barefoot), but I have worn shoes at all times since October when I found this message board.

Don't do the kind of weight bearing stretching that hurts. Do non-weightbearing stretching, and don't let it hurt. If you search the message board, Julie posted some good non-weight bearing stretches. If you can't find them, here's what I do:

Sit on a bed or sofa, with my leg stretched out on the bed or sofa.
Point my toes up towards my face, and inward (pidgeon-toed), and hold for 30 seconds. If that is too long, hold for 10 and work up to 30 eventually.
Repeat.
Do this for both feet 3 times a day; before you get out of bed in the morning, in the evening, and once during the day.

If it doesn't hurt, you can pull gently on your toes while you do this stretch.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/07/02 at 15:20 (069088)

Perhaps you could get some Birkenstock sandals, Andrew. You wouldn't feel quite so much like you are having to wear shoes all the time, (Before PF, I nearly always kicked my shoes off inside the door and walked barefoot in the house...I understand!) and the sandals might really help you. Mine help me. I got them after reading so much about their benefits on this board. As many suggested, I keep them by my bed at night and slip them on first thing in the morning.

Beat wishes to you!

Andrew C on 1/08/02 at 03:19 (069150)

Thanks, I'll give those a try.

I have this hope that I'm on the home stretch with this thing. It never was so painful as to stop me walking or standing and at present if I'm careful I can do what I want. I'm hoping it'll have gone by the time the weather picks up.

I have real sympathy for those who's PF has crippled them.

Andrew C on 1/08/02 at 03:24 (069152)

We do seem to have a similar case but I think I must have responded to the initial problem earlier. I noticed throughout August that I was getting a 'slight twinge' in front of my heel when I stood up after resting and curiousity drove me to do a web search. As a result my PF was (apart from the time when I did wheight style stretches) nothing more than a slight discomfort.

At present we sound to be at about the same stage, although recently both my hands have started to ache which seems odd. At present I'm putting that down to playing a particular computer game and hopefully it will clear up but the thought of getting something like PF in my hands...!

Re: PF of the hands?? AAgh! LOL

Carole C on 1/08/02 at 16:33 (069240)

PF of the hands! Now THERE's a nightmare! LOL

I hope that the aching in your hands clears up really soon and doe not turn out to be like PF!

I do agree that you apparently responded to the initial problem earlier. During September and most of October October I just figured it would go away all by itself, although I did find this message board sometime in October.

Today I wore 'regular shoes' for 9 hours. These were Easy Spirit lace-up shoes, without orthotics. I seemed to do all right, but I didn't walk or stand much and I was glad to get back in my orthotics when I got home. Still, the fact that I could wear regular shoes for a little while tells me that I'm healing.

Carole C

Carole C on 1/08/02 at 16:36 (069242)

It sounds to me like you are on the home stretch, too! It just takes a terribly long time for this PF to heal. Mine was painful enough that I had to stop walking and standing very much, until recently. It sounds like you are doing pretty well. I'm about to the point where if I'm careful I can do things too, though maybe I'm a little cautious because it hurt SO MUCH back in November and early December. I don't want to risk that again.

Carole C

Andrew C on 1/09/02 at 03:07 (069295)

Hmmph - I had a minor set back.

Yesterday I went for a short walk and half way through (only ten minutes) I got a sharpish pain just behind my forefoot. It didn't go away for the walk back (another ten minutes) and this morning it's still there. It's still not enough to stop me walking but it is a set back.

Carole C on 1/09/02 at 07:35 (069302)

Sorry to hear this!!! I hope you iced your foot down and did your gentle stretching. PF is kind of like that.... better, worse, better worse, etc., and it takes such a long time to heal. Still, it sounds like you are on the mend.

Mine is worse today too, because yesterday I did something stupid (well stupid for me). I wore 'regular shoes' yesterday. So today I am back to wearing my custom orthotics in big ugly SAS shoes. I am just too eager to get back to going barefoot and doing whatever I want.

Carole C

Andrew C on 1/09/02 at 07:41 (069303)

I didn't get a chance to ice it but luckily I have a desk job (Computer Programmer) so I only have to get up when nature calls. I even have a water cooler within reach so in theory I could spend all day sat down.

In practice though I like to get up and walk around a bit and at present I can do so without feeling anything if I'm careful. Unfortunately I currently live alone and tonight is shopping night so I'll have to be very careful.

I might try doing the shopping in trainers but last time I walked a lot in them I got aching toes (presumably because of lack of exercise) which was a bit irritating.

Carole C on 1/09/02 at 12:17 (069348)

This is uncanny... my desk (and I have a desk job too) is also right by the water cooler (only about 6 feet from it), and I also live alone. I used to enjoy walking around now and then at work, but don't do it as much any more due to my feet.

When my feet were really bad, and I had no food at home, I used to go to a drive through Subway or Wendy's and order whatever was most nutritious. That way I could wait longer before having to do grocery shopping.

Carole C

Andrew C on 1/10/02 at 02:58 (069457)

Uncanny indeed, although we live in different countries (I'm in the UK) :)

Not being able to walk and chat at work (and in the evenings) is a real downer. Thankfully my hands are improving again so that was just temporary strain.

My feet have never been so bad as to stop me shopping - only enough to slow me down (and after a period of stretching limp a bit). Given that I normally walk a lot faster than most people I'm actually still faster than most .

I'm now puzzled as to whether or not I do have PF so I'm going to do an 'Ask the Doctor'. What makes me wonder is that my pain comes on as I use my feet and mostly takes the form of sensitivity to pressure. I can't 'walk through' the pain. I also find that Aspirin not only gets rid of the pain but appears to definitely assist in healing.

I also find that taking my shoes off while resting helps as does putting my feet up. It certainly sounds like my problem is mostly caused by swelling.

Scott R on 1/10/02 at 06:54 (069461)

Andrew, don't use an 's' in brackets. It makes everyone's screen place a strike through all of the words that follow in all the subsequent messages in some of the message board views. That sort of 's' is web page coding for 'strikethruogh'

Andrew C on 1/10/02 at 07:43 (069466)

Oops - sorry.

Carole C on 1/10/02 at 15:51 (069557)

I don't know if you have PF or not, but it sounds like it to me (except a milder case than mine).

Mine is worse when my feet are swollen, than when they are not. Icing my feet helps the swelling, too. I just get a bag of frozen peas from my freezer and set my foot on it. Aaah! It feels great if my feet are swollen. Various natural diuretics like pure lemon juice with artificial sweetener mixed with hot water help reduce swelling a little. But, the question remains: Why are your feet swollen? They may need rest over a long period of time in order to heal and to reduce the swelling. That is why mine were swelled up. They were strained from riding my bike barefoot, and this was the cause of the swelling, I believe.

New, good quality shoes also seem to help, even if you have good shoes. Many people here do well with Birkenstocks. The Heel Pain Book (which you can read on this website) has lots of helpful ideas.

Carole C

Andrew C on 1/11/02 at 03:43 (069616)

Last night I found a way that I can restart my exercise cycling. I found that if I set the pedal straps to their highest setting and wear my cycling shoes (hard plastic soles with 'hooks' at either end) then the hook at the heel engages the cycle pedal.

This means I can cycle using my heel and as far as I can tell this has no effect on my PF (or whatever it is). It made me feel a lot better to be able to /do/ some form of exercise again so I'm hoping it will not be a problem.

In the meantime my feet are gradually improving after last weekend's set back. I guess it shows that one day of carelessness can cost you a couple of weeks recovery time. Sigh.

Lisa P on 1/15/02 at 12:24 (070037)

I developed PF in June 2001 while trying to do sprints to increase my fitness routine. I am fairly athletic (I like competitive tennis, and walking best) and have always been. This injury has really depressed me. I would rather have broken a bone and gotten it over with... Seems each time i think its getting better, BAM and its back. I have been the podiatrist route, and paid the big bucks for the custom orthotics, which seemed to help a little for a while. However I also ordered those Phase 4 orthotics while waiting for the customer ones. Sometimes I think they help more. This site has helped me because I have been very frustrated with my Podiatrist, because they want to collect my money before I see him, and he has yet to do anything that has really helped my problem. This site has helped me to realize that treating this injury really is trial and error, so maybe I shouldn;t blame him so much. He told me the only thing left for me is physical therapy, and then surgury. I'm definitely not inclined to the surgery because I haven't spoken to many people that it's helped. I'm always cold, so I hate icing. But I'm going to try to become more disciplined with the stretching for a longer period of time and see if that helps. I would have never believed this would have lasted so long...However, from this site, it appears this is usually a long-term affliction. Not encouraging. I've had to start wearing shoes in the shower, because it hurt too much to have my bare feet on the shower tile. Has anyone actually CURED this problem for good over any period of time????

Andrew C on 1/17/02 at 03:27 (070236)

I agree about the depression. In my case I wasn't an athlete - just someone who enjoyed a regular evening/afternoon walk and used an exercise bike.

I still don't know what trigged my problem but my doctor now thinks it's my arch rather than PF (although most web sites think it's the same thing). It does mean that I never have pain in my heel (only in front and occasionally along the middle) so I've never been unable to walk.

I've found that wearing trainers with a higher than normal arch support has helped a heck of a lot. Since wearing them all the time (when moving at least) I feet are a lot better. I'm now almost completely recovered from the relapse I had weekend before last.

FWIW my depression was eased a lot when I discovered I could go back to using my exercise bike by pedalling on my heels. I guess my body was just pining for some exercise :)