Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

stretching OK for Posterior Tibial problems?

Posted by Ellen J on 1/07/02 at 09:00 (069039)

Hi,
My feet started with Plantar Fasciitis symptoms 2 yrs ago (heel pain in morning). However, now I don't get heel pain at all in the morning--I only get sharp twinges in different areas of the arch and the medial side of the arch (the softer spot toward the back of the arch). If I try to stand on the ball of my feet I get pain and if I stretch (very gentle stretching) I feel a 'pulling' type of pain through the arch and heel. If this is a Posterior Tibial problem, is stretching OK? I'm concerned that all this stretching could further lengthen the tendon if indeed PTT turns out to be one of my problems. I also have Chondromalacia and am therefore trying to stretch the hamstrings. Am fairly thin, so weight doen't seem to be the issue for me.
Thanks,
Ellen J.

Re: stretching OK for Posterior Tibial problems?

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/08/02 at 08:21 (069168)

Avoid weight bearing stretching at this time. Have you been evaluated for any type of orthosis to allow the posterior tendon to function propering

Ellen J on 1/08/02 at 10:31 (069191)

Thanks for your message.
Yes, I have custom orthotics but can't wear them because they put too much pressure on the arch. I find that the best things for my feet are 'Body Cushion' soft arch supports, which gently support, and don't have as high an arch as the custom made ones.
I also recently found 'Sof Soles', and specifically the 'Arch Plus' version works. I have stopped the weight bearing stretching and am doing gentle stretches every hour of the day. My sports watch goes off every hour to remind me to stretch.
Thanks again for your time.
Ellen

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/08/02 at 08:21 (069168)

Avoid weight bearing stretching at this time. Have you been evaluated for any type of orthosis to allow the posterior tendon to function propering

Ellen J on 1/08/02 at 10:31 (069191)

Thanks for your message.
Yes, I have custom orthotics but can't wear them because they put too much pressure on the arch. I find that the best things for my feet are 'Body Cushion' soft arch supports, which gently support, and don't have as high an arch as the custom made ones.
I also recently found 'Sof Soles', and specifically the 'Arch Plus' version works. I have stopped the weight bearing stretching and am doing gentle stretches every hour of the day. My sports watch goes off every hour to remind me to stretch.
Thanks again for your time.
Ellen