Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Going to try "regular shoes" for a day

Posted by Carole C on 1/07/02 at 12:13 (069059)

I've been doing wonderfully with my custom orthotics in my huge SAS shoes during the day, and with my Birkenstocks in the evenings.

Tomorrow through Thursday I have formal meetings at work. It is a scientific conference, which means that I will be sitting listening to scientists deliver papers most of the day, and standing for 10-20 minutes talking with them during the breaks.

Tomorrow I am going to try wearing regular shoes, rather than my new humungous 'manly looking' SAS shoes with orthotics that I have been wearing and that have been healing me so well.

I know this isn't smart, but I just can't go in these shoes. I will put the humungous shoes with orthotics, in my car, and that way if it gets really bad I can go put them on but I will feel like a freak in them. I will let you know how this goes. I sure hope it works out for just a day or two at least.

Carole C

Re: Going to try "regular shoes" for a day

Valerie S on 1/08/02 at 08:22 (069169)

Hi Carole...

I hope you have a chance to read this BEFORE your meetings are all over with. I have been following your posts and watching your progress, and have been very proud of you and happy that you have been feeling better. I think I saw in one of your posts that you were doing a lot better over the last week or so...

I read this post twice, and I am wondering how you are doing in those 'regular' shoes. Be careful not to rush things... unfortunately PF means not always being able to wear the prettiest shoes. I hope everything works out for you, and that you don't have any problems without proper support... I just finished reading a post where you told someone to get custom orthotics because yours were helping you so much.

Please be careful. We all want to see you get better! Sometimes Vanity=Pain, and even though we all know it hurts to be beautiful, is it really worth it?

You should see me in my Birks ... but I can't stand without 'em!

I wish only the best for you... Your friend, Val.

rebecca on 1/08/02 at 13:16 (069216)

I totally agree with Val. I would hate to see you do any harm to your recently improved feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please let us know how they (you) are!!!!

Carole C on 1/08/02 at 16:54 (069245)

Well, too late, I went ahead and did it. This morning I sat and looked at my Easy Spirit tie-up shoes, and at my plain black 'flats' (='pumps'? without heels) with the pointy toes, which I wanted to wear. I decided to compromise and wear the Easy Spirits. They don't have an orthotic and they look about half the size of my SAS/orthotics combination.

I wore them for 9 hours only, and now I'm home with my orthotics back on.

They didn't hurt too much, but then I didn't really do the standing and talking to the other scientists that I said I'd do. It's amazing how much less motivated one is to exchange ideas when scared about hurting one's feet.

So far, so good. My feet don't seem to be harmed, though it feels good to get back into my orthotics. I feel a slight twinge in my left arch but sometimes I feel twinges anyway. I will wear my orthotics until bedtime since I think that for my feet they are a little better than Birkenstocks.

I also discovered a pair of pants that are 2 sizes too big... small enough that they sort of fit without falling off, but big enough that they slop over my shoes. If necessary I can wear my orthotics and SAS shoes with these pants. I am co-chairing a session on Thursday and have to look especially good on that day, and the pants that fit are of a style that is short and shows off my shoes. So probably on Thursday I will wear the 'flats'. I don't want to hurt my feet either. But on the other hand, this is one of those meetings where all the men are wearing very nice suits and ties, and I want to look as nice as I can too as a matter of courtesy.

I'll keep reporting each day. Tomorrow there are a lot of talks, and a reception, and Thursday is the last day.

Carole C

Re: another approach

elliott on 1/08/02 at 21:52 (069280)

You can start your speech by apologizing you're wearing those ugly shoes and tell them why (surely scientists can understand that), or tell a joke about them, or both: Honesty and humor; it works. And maybe some guy there will appreciate that, if you know what I mean (wink wink nod nod).

---

Re: just a thought on shoes...

Suzanne D on 1/09/02 at 06:49 (069298)

Dear Carole,
I thought of you several times yesterday and was glad to read your post last night telling us that you didn't seem to hurt your feet yesterday wearing the 'regular' shoes. You've made such improvement, and I want that to continue for you!

Here's a thought I had: Did you get a Birkenstock catalog when you bought your sandals? I couldn't remember if you bought them at a Birkenstock store or department store. If the latter, you might not have a catalog. If not, sometime go on-line and look for the Birkenstock Tatami dressy shoes. There are some that - especially with pants - would look nice for your meetings, I think.

I tried on a pair of Margaret Tatamis, but unfortunately for me, most of these dressy styles made just for women stop at size 42, and I need a 43. But, in trying them on, I could tell that the arch felt very supportive. Now if my toes had just not hung over the end...:-)

Best wishes to you, Carole! And I also liked Elliott's idea about using humor...You know, 'A funny thing happened to me when I was dressing this morning. My electricity went out just when I was reaching for my shoes in the closet...!' :-)

Got to go...My first graders are coming in!

Re: Back to orthotics for Wednesday

Carole C on 1/09/02 at 07:10 (069299)

When I woke up this morning my feet really hurt. I have no choice. It's back to my huge ugly gross orthotics today. I will wear the too-large long pants that slop over them, and I will try to sit most of the time.

Tomorrow is the day when I have to co-chair a session. Maybe I will be able to wear regular shoes for part of the time. I don't really know yet if I'm slated to talk or not, but if I do I will consider Elliott's tactic.

Gotta run (well hobble, in my orthotics! LOL)

Carole C

Re: Tatami's

Carole C on 1/09/02 at 07:22 (069300)

I think that in the long term your idea is excellent. I got my Birkenstocks in desperation at a fashionable department store, and of the three styles the store carries they were the only one in a 40.

I should look at that catalog, and I should try to get to the actual Birkenstock store here. It's in the French Quarter, an area that requires quite a bit of walking to access. But, I could probably get there these days. I want to be fitted at a Birkenstock store if I'm going to get Tatamis, because the sizes are supposed to run smaller than the regular Birkenstocks and because (let's face it) Birkenstocks are expensive and I need a kind and style that fit.

For today, I think that I will have to wear my orthotics and sit. I will wear a bright scarf and try to be 'radiant' and maybe people won't notice my shoes and the fact that I'm not standing.

Carole C

Carole C on 1/09/02 at 07:26 (069301)

I'll think about it. Thanks for the idea, Elliott. But as for their appreciation, I haven't ever dated one of these scientists! LOL Ethics, you know - - there's research money involved. :)

Carole C

Carole C on 1/09/02 at 12:07 (069346)

I'm glad I'm wearing the orthotics today. My feet still hurt a little from yesterday, and really I don't think anybody is noticing. I have remained seated at the conference tables most of the time. I had to get up to leave for lunch, though (which I'm eating as I type).

Maybe I will just wear them tomorrow too. It's just not worth having my feet hurt again!

Carole C

Valerie S on 1/09/02 at 13:44 (069362)

Carole,

I'm sorry to hear that your 'normal' shoes made your feet hurt. I have had similar experience... feeling it the next day when I go beyond my limits.

It sounds like you are having a better day, now that you're treating those feet right! Just take it easy... hopefully this is just a small setback. Orthotics work better when you wear them!

Remember to put those feet up tonight. Ice 'em if it helps, and stretch. Someday you'll be back to pedalling and wearing pretty shoes....

Val.

Re: Radiant!

Suzanne D on 1/09/02 at 14:59 (069369)

Carole, your comment about wearing a bright scarf and being 'radiant' brought to mind my favorite book of all time - Charlotte's Web - in which one of the words Charlotte writes in the web to describe Wilbur is 'radiant'! (My apologies to any of you who are tired of hearing me relate everything to children!)

At the very end of the book, Wilbur the pig states something like this (not a direct quote):

It is not often in life that one finds a true friend and a good writer; in Charlotte I found both.

That made me think about the fact that on this board I have found true friends and good writers!

Just thought I'd share that with you...Hope your feet feel better tonight!

Carole C on 1/09/02 at 17:58 (069396)

Thank you! And I LOVED Charlotte's Web when I was a little girl. I probably checked it out of my elementary school library a dozen times.

My feet feel kind of like I should have expected them to feel, beat up and hurting. I am going to wear my orthotics again tomorrow. It was stupid to try to wear regular shoes. I was just hoping that I could get away with it. The bright scarf worked today, although I ended up standing and talking for 40 minutes at the reception. I got 'snagged' and couldn't get away until about 10 minutes ago. Even though I had my orthotics on, my feet are just throbbing so! I just put on my Birkenstocks, and I think I'll go ice down.

Carole C.

Carole C on 1/09/02 at 17:59 (069398)

Thank you for the suggestions!!!!! I need them. My feet feel abused and beat up. LOL I will go ice them now, and stretch, and I will keep wearing my orthotics from now on.

Carole C

Carole C on 1/10/02 at 14:16 (069533)

Done with the meetings... back to my good ol' orthotics.

Here is what I learned from this experience: Once you've found what works for you, don't push it! I didn't hurt myself too badly, so I hope that by next week I'll be back to where I was. It was pretty stupid to ditch the orthotics before I felt I was completely healed. They may be ugly but they work.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/10/02 at 14:29 (069535)

Hi, Carole! What's that quote? 'Hope springs eternal in the human breast.'

You weren't stupid; you just hoped that since you had experienced so much success in healing you could wear those prettier shoes for your special meetings.

I'm sorry that set you back a little but hopeful that it won't be for long.

Just another affirmation that what you have been doing are all the right things! Keep up the good work!

I am sure that YOU noticed your shoes more than anyone else at the meetings! They were looking at everything about you, not concentrating on your feet. That's one of the hardest things in dealing with PF for me: having to have it on my mind so much! I get tired just thinking about it! But it's hard to forget when every step hurts...

You take care and rest up. I think you'll be feeling much better in a day or two since you have been recovering so well lately.

PatC on 1/10/02 at 17:56 (069570)

Carole,
Sorry about your set back. I have been there several times and know how you feel. Just keep resting and icing. I have had the flu and a cold for a week and have not done anything except sleep and rest. My feet feel great! I guess I needed more rest.
Suzanne is right about the Tatami's. I have a pair for dress. They look real good with black stocking.

Carole C on 1/10/02 at 18:39 (069574)

That will be really nice. Maybe after a while when my feet are back to where they were, I'll try to get to the Birkenstock store and get fitted for some nice looking Tatami's. I think I need those high arches! Tonight maybe I will look online at the various styles of Tatami's. Clogs don't appeal to me but surely there is some style that would, and that would still have the Tatami high arch. I had black stockings set out to wear with my flats at the meeting, but never did try that. All my lamenting is only due to one day in Easy Spirits, which are much easier on my feet than the flats but do not help me like my ugly orthotics.

At least I know what works for me. I'll try to rest this weekend, and stretch, and wear my custom orthotics. Last night I iced and tonight I'll do that again, thanks for reminding me (I always seem to forget icing, although it helps). I took a nap for an hour and that helped too. It's amazing that after 9 hours in Easy Spirits on Tuesday, my tendons were all inflamed again and I could not sleep well Tuesday night or last night because the muscles and tendons in my legs from knee to ankle really hurt, as well as my feet of course. Now, my tendons have mostly quieted down after wearing my orthotics yesterday and today. Weird! She must have put some New Orleans magic into them. :)

Thanks Pat, and Suzanne. Suzanne, you are right... I think I was just hoping and testing, thinking that since I had been doing so well that maybe I am done with PF. However, I'm not. At least I know now.

Re: ...catalog, Carole?

Suzanne D on 1/11/02 at 13:00 (069636)

Carole, if nothing changes my plans, I hope to go to a Birkenstock store tomorrow. I will ask for a ocuple of catalogs. I already have one; if you would like, I can mail one to you! If you don't mind to e-mail me your mailing address, I will mail the catalog to you.

(email removed)

I like looking on-line, but sometimes my computer is so slow, and all the pictures don't show up. It is nice sometimes to have a 'regular' catalog!

:-) Hope your feet feel better today!

Carole C on 1/11/02 at 18:17 (069678)

Thank you, Suzanne! I just sent you an e-mail with my street address. That would be great! I agree about looking online. The German site is SO SLOW, even with cable modem, and different Birkenstock sites seem to offer different models of Birkenstocks, too.

My feet feel better today, but it will be a few more days before I'm back to where I was. I stopped some of my recent riskier practices, like standing for a few seconds at the end of my shower and trying my exercycle a tiny bit. I'm on the straight and narrow, for now! On the other hand, I feel a lot better than I did earlier in the week, because my calf muscles and Achilles tendon and other tendons are not feeling inflamed, swollen, and sore any more. My PF themselves are hurting when I stand for too long, but overall I'm on the road to healing again.

Carole C

Valerie S on 1/08/02 at 08:22 (069169)

Hi Carole...

I hope you have a chance to read this BEFORE your meetings are all over with. I have been following your posts and watching your progress, and have been very proud of you and happy that you have been feeling better. I think I saw in one of your posts that you were doing a lot better over the last week or so...

I read this post twice, and I am wondering how you are doing in those 'regular' shoes. Be careful not to rush things... unfortunately PF means not always being able to wear the prettiest shoes. I hope everything works out for you, and that you don't have any problems without proper support... I just finished reading a post where you told someone to get custom orthotics because yours were helping you so much.

Please be careful. We all want to see you get better! Sometimes Vanity=Pain, and even though we all know it hurts to be beautiful, is it really worth it?

You should see me in my Birks ... but I can't stand without 'em!

I wish only the best for you... Your friend, Val.

rebecca on 1/08/02 at 13:16 (069216)

I totally agree with Val. I would hate to see you do any harm to your recently improved feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please let us know how they (you) are!!!!

Carole C on 1/08/02 at 16:54 (069245)

Well, too late, I went ahead and did it. This morning I sat and looked at my Easy Spirit tie-up shoes, and at my plain black 'flats' (='pumps'? without heels) with the pointy toes, which I wanted to wear. I decided to compromise and wear the Easy Spirits. They don't have an orthotic and they look about half the size of my SAS/orthotics combination.

I wore them for 9 hours only, and now I'm home with my orthotics back on.

They didn't hurt too much, but then I didn't really do the standing and talking to the other scientists that I said I'd do. It's amazing how much less motivated one is to exchange ideas when scared about hurting one's feet.

So far, so good. My feet don't seem to be harmed, though it feels good to get back into my orthotics. I feel a slight twinge in my left arch but sometimes I feel twinges anyway. I will wear my orthotics until bedtime since I think that for my feet they are a little better than Birkenstocks.

I also discovered a pair of pants that are 2 sizes too big... small enough that they sort of fit without falling off, but big enough that they slop over my shoes. If necessary I can wear my orthotics and SAS shoes with these pants. I am co-chairing a session on Thursday and have to look especially good on that day, and the pants that fit are of a style that is short and shows off my shoes. So probably on Thursday I will wear the 'flats'. I don't want to hurt my feet either. But on the other hand, this is one of those meetings where all the men are wearing very nice suits and ties, and I want to look as nice as I can too as a matter of courtesy.

I'll keep reporting each day. Tomorrow there are a lot of talks, and a reception, and Thursday is the last day.

Carole C

elliott on 1/08/02 at 21:52 (069280)

You can start your speech by apologizing you're wearing those ugly shoes and tell them why (surely scientists can understand that), or tell a joke about them, or both: Honesty and humor; it works. And maybe some guy there will appreciate that, if you know what I mean (wink wink nod nod).

---

Re: just a thought on shoes...

Suzanne D on 1/09/02 at 06:49 (069298)

Dear Carole,
I thought of you several times yesterday and was glad to read your post last night telling us that you didn't seem to hurt your feet yesterday wearing the 'regular' shoes. You've made such improvement, and I want that to continue for you!

Here's a thought I had: Did you get a Birkenstock catalog when you bought your sandals? I couldn't remember if you bought them at a Birkenstock store or department store. If the latter, you might not have a catalog. If not, sometime go on-line and look for the Birkenstock Tatami dressy shoes. There are some that - especially with pants - would look nice for your meetings, I think.

I tried on a pair of Margaret Tatamis, but unfortunately for me, most of these dressy styles made just for women stop at size 42, and I need a 43. But, in trying them on, I could tell that the arch felt very supportive. Now if my toes had just not hung over the end...:-)

Best wishes to you, Carole! And I also liked Elliott's idea about using humor...You know, 'A funny thing happened to me when I was dressing this morning. My electricity went out just when I was reaching for my shoes in the closet...!' :-)

Got to go...My first graders are coming in!

Carole C on 1/09/02 at 07:10 (069299)

When I woke up this morning my feet really hurt. I have no choice. It's back to my huge ugly gross orthotics today. I will wear the too-large long pants that slop over them, and I will try to sit most of the time.

Tomorrow is the day when I have to co-chair a session. Maybe I will be able to wear regular shoes for part of the time. I don't really know yet if I'm slated to talk or not, but if I do I will consider Elliott's tactic.

Gotta run (well hobble, in my orthotics! LOL)

Carole C

Re: Tatami's

Carole C on 1/09/02 at 07:22 (069300)

I think that in the long term your idea is excellent. I got my Birkenstocks in desperation at a fashionable department store, and of the three styles the store carries they were the only one in a 40.

I should look at that catalog, and I should try to get to the actual Birkenstock store here. It's in the French Quarter, an area that requires quite a bit of walking to access. But, I could probably get there these days. I want to be fitted at a Birkenstock store if I'm going to get Tatamis, because the sizes are supposed to run smaller than the regular Birkenstocks and because (let's face it) Birkenstocks are expensive and I need a kind and style that fit.

For today, I think that I will have to wear my orthotics and sit. I will wear a bright scarf and try to be 'radiant' and maybe people won't notice my shoes and the fact that I'm not standing.

Carole C

Carole C on 1/09/02 at 07:26 (069301)

I'll think about it. Thanks for the idea, Elliott. But as for their appreciation, I haven't ever dated one of these scientists! LOL Ethics, you know - - there's research money involved. :)

Carole C

Carole C on 1/09/02 at 12:07 (069346)

I'm glad I'm wearing the orthotics today. My feet still hurt a little from yesterday, and really I don't think anybody is noticing. I have remained seated at the conference tables most of the time. I had to get up to leave for lunch, though (which I'm eating as I type).

Maybe I will just wear them tomorrow too. It's just not worth having my feet hurt again!

Carole C

Valerie S on 1/09/02 at 13:44 (069362)

Carole,

I'm sorry to hear that your 'normal' shoes made your feet hurt. I have had similar experience... feeling it the next day when I go beyond my limits.

It sounds like you are having a better day, now that you're treating those feet right! Just take it easy... hopefully this is just a small setback. Orthotics work better when you wear them!

Remember to put those feet up tonight. Ice 'em if it helps, and stretch. Someday you'll be back to pedalling and wearing pretty shoes....

Val.

Suzanne D on 1/09/02 at 14:59 (069369)

Carole, your comment about wearing a bright scarf and being 'radiant' brought to mind my favorite book of all time - Charlotte's Web - in which one of the words Charlotte writes in the web to describe Wilbur is 'radiant'! (My apologies to any of you who are tired of hearing me relate everything to children!)

At the very end of the book, Wilbur the pig states something like this (not a direct quote):

It is not often in life that one finds a true friend and a good writer; in Charlotte I found both.

That made me think about the fact that on this board I have found true friends and good writers!

Just thought I'd share that with you...Hope your feet feel better tonight!

Carole C on 1/09/02 at 17:58 (069396)

Thank you! And I LOVED Charlotte's Web when I was a little girl. I probably checked it out of my elementary school library a dozen times.

My feet feel kind of like I should have expected them to feel, beat up and hurting. I am going to wear my orthotics again tomorrow. It was stupid to try to wear regular shoes. I was just hoping that I could get away with it. The bright scarf worked today, although I ended up standing and talking for 40 minutes at the reception. I got 'snagged' and couldn't get away until about 10 minutes ago. Even though I had my orthotics on, my feet are just throbbing so! I just put on my Birkenstocks, and I think I'll go ice down.

Carole C.

Carole C on 1/09/02 at 17:59 (069398)

Thank you for the suggestions!!!!! I need them. My feet feel abused and beat up. LOL I will go ice them now, and stretch, and I will keep wearing my orthotics from now on.

Carole C

Carole C on 1/10/02 at 14:16 (069533)

Done with the meetings... back to my good ol' orthotics.

Here is what I learned from this experience: Once you've found what works for you, don't push it! I didn't hurt myself too badly, so I hope that by next week I'll be back to where I was. It was pretty stupid to ditch the orthotics before I felt I was completely healed. They may be ugly but they work.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/10/02 at 14:29 (069535)

Hi, Carole! What's that quote? 'Hope springs eternal in the human breast.'

You weren't stupid; you just hoped that since you had experienced so much success in healing you could wear those prettier shoes for your special meetings.

I'm sorry that set you back a little but hopeful that it won't be for long.

Just another affirmation that what you have been doing are all the right things! Keep up the good work!

I am sure that YOU noticed your shoes more than anyone else at the meetings! They were looking at everything about you, not concentrating on your feet. That's one of the hardest things in dealing with PF for me: having to have it on my mind so much! I get tired just thinking about it! But it's hard to forget when every step hurts...

You take care and rest up. I think you'll be feeling much better in a day or two since you have been recovering so well lately.

PatC on 1/10/02 at 17:56 (069570)

Carole,
Sorry about your set back. I have been there several times and know how you feel. Just keep resting and icing. I have had the flu and a cold for a week and have not done anything except sleep and rest. My feet feel great! I guess I needed more rest.
Suzanne is right about the Tatami's. I have a pair for dress. They look real good with black stocking.

Carole C on 1/10/02 at 18:39 (069574)

That will be really nice. Maybe after a while when my feet are back to where they were, I'll try to get to the Birkenstock store and get fitted for some nice looking Tatami's. I think I need those high arches! Tonight maybe I will look online at the various styles of Tatami's. Clogs don't appeal to me but surely there is some style that would, and that would still have the Tatami high arch. I had black stockings set out to wear with my flats at the meeting, but never did try that. All my lamenting is only due to one day in Easy Spirits, which are much easier on my feet than the flats but do not help me like my ugly orthotics.

At least I know what works for me. I'll try to rest this weekend, and stretch, and wear my custom orthotics. Last night I iced and tonight I'll do that again, thanks for reminding me (I always seem to forget icing, although it helps). I took a nap for an hour and that helped too. It's amazing that after 9 hours in Easy Spirits on Tuesday, my tendons were all inflamed again and I could not sleep well Tuesday night or last night because the muscles and tendons in my legs from knee to ankle really hurt, as well as my feet of course. Now, my tendons have mostly quieted down after wearing my orthotics yesterday and today. Weird! She must have put some New Orleans magic into them. :)

Thanks Pat, and Suzanne. Suzanne, you are right... I think I was just hoping and testing, thinking that since I had been doing so well that maybe I am done with PF. However, I'm not. At least I know now.

Suzanne D on 1/11/02 at 13:00 (069636)

Carole, if nothing changes my plans, I hope to go to a Birkenstock store tomorrow. I will ask for a ocuple of catalogs. I already have one; if you would like, I can mail one to you! If you don't mind to e-mail me your mailing address, I will mail the catalog to you.

(email removed)

I like looking on-line, but sometimes my computer is so slow, and all the pictures don't show up. It is nice sometimes to have a 'regular' catalog!

:-) Hope your feet feel better today!

Carole C on 1/11/02 at 18:17 (069678)

Thank you, Suzanne! I just sent you an e-mail with my street address. That would be great! I agree about looking online. The German site is SO SLOW, even with cable modem, and different Birkenstock sites seem to offer different models of Birkenstocks, too.

My feet feel better today, but it will be a few more days before I'm back to where I was. I stopped some of my recent riskier practices, like standing for a few seconds at the end of my shower and trying my exercycle a tiny bit. I'm on the straight and narrow, for now! On the other hand, I feel a lot better than I did earlier in the week, because my calf muscles and Achilles tendon and other tendons are not feeling inflamed, swollen, and sore any more. My PF themselves are hurting when I stand for too long, but overall I'm on the road to healing again.

Carole C