Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Southern Accents

Posted by Necee on 1/07/02 at 21:29 (069131)

I really 'got a kick' out of reading about those Southern accents and Southern sayings. Being from Texas I'm always getting teased about the 'waay thayat I taulk'.
I remember talking to a friend once and I was telling her about my Aunt, she had been put into a nursing home rather quickly, and I said to my friend 'would you believe that they just slapped her in that nursing home', well my friend took it literally! She thought I meant they hit her in the nursing home.
Happy Trails.....
Necee

Re: Southern Accents

Carol C on 1/07/02 at 22:10 (069140)

I am from the SOUTH---Huntsville,ALABAMA, am I am proud of my Southern Accent. My job requires a lot of talk time on the telephone and I am
frequently complimented by people from all over the country on my accent.
It is not extremely southern but just enough to 'be there.'

rebecca on 1/08/02 at 13:01 (069213)

I'm from the south, too. Grew up in Lubbock Texas. When I moved up here to the Chicago area I had a hard time understanding the accent. One day someone on the radio was doing a commercial. They kept talking about the wonderful 'stackings' that were for sale at their store. I couldn't figure out what in the world they were trying to sell. I thought maybe it was something you would buy at a hardware store, you know, to stack things on. But then when they started talking about the great 'stacking stuffers' I figured it out. Stockings! And they think I'M the one with the accent!

Re: Try this one....

Carmen on 1/08/02 at 15:06 (069232)

To me (I'm a minnesotan born and raised...well at least my youth) a toboggan is a SLED.
To the southerners...a toboggan is a HAT.
What in the heck is that??? I meanthey don't have a thing to do with each other except the weather!

John h on 1/08/02 at 16:40 (069243)

Rebecca i did just the opposite from you I moved from Chicago to Lubbock to go through pilot training at Reece AFB. I do remember the dust storms that went well above 12000 feet because I could not top them out at that altitude.

rebecca h on 1/08/02 at 18:21 (069254)

You were in Lubbock? COOL! Believe it or not I loved growing up there.
Sometimes we would have one of those dust storms and right in the middle of it the rain would start coming down except it was mud for a while before it was actually rain. What year were you there?

rebecca h on 1/08/02 at 18:30 (069258)

Funny, funny, about the toboggan thing. By the way, the people around here listen to RACK and roll music. And when they are sick they go to the DAC. And of course they always Lack their doors at night. Unless they here someone knacking. And sometimes all the kids come down with chicken Pax. Even the clacks around here all go tick tack. I don't know if its because we live so close to Kenoooooosha Wisconsin. : )

I'm a stubborn Texan. I still say Ya'll. Though at times I slip and say Ya'll Guys.

Accents are fun. I'm glad we're all different. It kinda makes life interesting. My husband finds it amusing that when I am about to do something I say 'I'm fixin' to do it'

Re: To: Rebecca Re: Southern Accents

Necee on 1/08/02 at 20:32 (069268)

Hey Rebecca my husband was born and raised in Lubbock, but unlike you he hated it there. He complains about it to this day, says its too flat and there are no trees.
Its so funny whenever we take trips, everyone asks us if we are from Texas, my southern accent gives us away all the time!
Happy Trails...
Necee

Re: "Southern Charm"

Suzanne D on 1/08/02 at 20:37 (069269)

Well, I'm fixin' to put my toboggan on my head and go outside and sled down the hill after I write to y'all... :-) :-) :-)

I've enjoyed this discussion - feel right at home!

Thinking of all of you!!

Carole C on 1/08/02 at 20:40 (069270)

Even though I have lived in Louisiana for six years, and in Texas for 13 years before that, and other Southern states almost all of my adult life, I was not brought up here and I think most people here would say that I have a 'No'thern accent'.

But there is a distinctly Southern accent to the way that I live my life! I don't speak fast, or do things precipitously, I don't drive in the snow, and I appreciate a true gentleman when I meet one.

Carole C

Re: Lubbock

rebecca h on 1/08/02 at 21:26 (069275)

Yep, it's real flat out there. And not many trees, unless you plant them and water them. But didn't he like the jack rabbits and ground squirrels and little horned toads? And the beautiful sunsets? And what about those tumbleweeds? We lived next to a cotton field and had the best time having dirt clod fights. I would like to go back there sometime and visit. Lots of good memories... : )

Re: Reminiscing

Necee on 1/09/02 at 00:05 (069293)

Speaking of sunsets, our ranch sits high on a hill and we enjoy the most beautiful sunsets. As a matter of fact as I was driving home from work today the sky was glowing with this magnificent orange/red sunset.

As a child growing up on a ranch my brother and I got into trouble so many times its not funny. One hot Texas summer day we were playing in the hay barn and we came across a hens nest, there was about a dozen eggs laying there in the hay, well being the mischievous kids that we were we opened the loft door and started throwing the eggs out, well......unknown to us our dad had parked his brand new Chevy truck below the loft door, and guess where all those eggs landed, right on the hood of his new truck! Being summertime and he didn't discover the mishap for several hours, those eggs baked into the hood just ruining his truck, and oh my was he mad! But I think the worst time was when my brother was playing with our dads bird dogs, he had somehow opened the trunk of Moms car and about that time he was called inside for lunch, well being a kid he didn't want the dogs to run off so he put them inside the trunk and closed it.....guess what, he forgot about the dogs and they all suffocated. That was a horrible thing, and my brother cried for days. I'm talking about growing up in the country during the 50's and 60's, times were so different back then. Has anyone ever had a corncob fight? or had so many stick-tights in your socks that you just had to throw them away? Oh what I'd give to just go back there for one more day! (And stay out of trouble of course!)

Well, thinking about the past has helped me forget about my pains for the time being, how it has helped you too!

Happy Trails....
Necee

Re: POP

Carmen on 1/09/02 at 08:20 (069306)

I am going to hve some POP with you guys some day....we'll get together and talk and eat Lutefisk and lefsa!

john h on 1/09/02 at 11:29 (069334)

As I remember Lubbock had more Churches per 1000 people than any city in the U.S. I lived in the West End Apartments near the base. We used those water cooler window deals for air conditioning and during the dust storms they made mud. I gave up on washing my car in Lubbock and I think that is where all Tumbleweed originates. I was there when a giant toranado destroyed Silverton which is north of Lubbock. On more than one occasion I had to break off a landing approach because of a toranado. My wife spent half her nights in our neighbors underground toranado shelter. I did not even bother getting out bed it became so common place. Did watch the Red Raiders play ball.

Carole C on 1/09/02 at 11:56 (069340)

I haven't seen much of Lubbock, but as for the most churches per capita my own subjective survey would implicate Meridian, Mississippi. I lived there for a while too and often wondered how all those churches managed to drum up a congregation. LOL

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/09/02 at 12:16 (069347)

I enjoyed reading that so much, Necee! Yes, I have thrown socks away because they had so many stick-tights in them! I grew up in a very small town, but my grandparents lived on a farm not too far away. I kind of stayed away from the animals as I was scared of most of them, though! :-)

We had fun playing hide-and-seek, riding bikes, and running around the neighborhood without a care in the world during those days. No one had to worry about keeping their children right in their own yards. We had yard sales where we mostly swapped our old ocmic books and games, and put on baqckyard 'circuses', charging our parents 25 cents admission!

Thanks for the memories... :-) My children are ready to come back from PE. Back to 2002!

Re: Rebecca

wendyn on 1/09/02 at 13:16 (069349)

Rebecca - where are you near Chicago?

rebecca on 1/09/02 at 13:35 (069358)

North of Chicago about a mile south of the Wisconsin border. About 20 minutes north of Six Flags. If you're ever in the area we will treat you and you're family to dinner.

wendyn on 1/09/02 at 13:42 (069360)

6 Flags Great America. Went there many times as a kid. I have family in Chicago and - oh for Pete's sake - why isn't the name coming to me? 10 minutes from O'Hare or so - right near Rosemont (the water tower with the big rose). This is nuts - my mind is going.

Anyway - I may be there in August...we'll see how I feel about flying closer to the summer.

wendyn on 1/09/02 at 13:44 (069361)

Parkridge Ill.

Carol C on 1/07/02 at 22:10 (069140)

I am from the SOUTH---Huntsville,ALABAMA, am I am proud of my Southern Accent. My job requires a lot of talk time on the telephone and I am
frequently complimented by people from all over the country on my accent.
It is not extremely southern but just enough to 'be there.'

rebecca on 1/08/02 at 13:01 (069213)

I'm from the south, too. Grew up in Lubbock Texas. When I moved up here to the Chicago area I had a hard time understanding the accent. One day someone on the radio was doing a commercial. They kept talking about the wonderful 'stackings' that were for sale at their store. I couldn't figure out what in the world they were trying to sell. I thought maybe it was something you would buy at a hardware store, you know, to stack things on. But then when they started talking about the great 'stacking stuffers' I figured it out. Stockings! And they think I'M the one with the accent!

Carmen on 1/08/02 at 15:06 (069232)

To me (I'm a minnesotan born and raised...well at least my youth) a toboggan is a SLED.
To the southerners...a toboggan is a HAT.
What in the heck is that??? I meanthey don't have a thing to do with each other except the weather!

John h on 1/08/02 at 16:40 (069243)

Rebecca i did just the opposite from you I moved from Chicago to Lubbock to go through pilot training at Reece AFB. I do remember the dust storms that went well above 12000 feet because I could not top them out at that altitude.

rebecca h on 1/08/02 at 18:21 (069254)

You were in Lubbock? COOL! Believe it or not I loved growing up there.
Sometimes we would have one of those dust storms and right in the middle of it the rain would start coming down except it was mud for a while before it was actually rain. What year were you there?

rebecca h on 1/08/02 at 18:30 (069258)

Funny, funny, about the toboggan thing. By the way, the people around here listen to RACK and roll music. And when they are sick they go to the DAC. And of course they always Lack their doors at night. Unless they here someone knacking. And sometimes all the kids come down with chicken Pax. Even the clacks around here all go tick tack. I don't know if its because we live so close to Kenoooooosha Wisconsin. : )

I'm a stubborn Texan. I still say Ya'll. Though at times I slip and say Ya'll Guys.

Accents are fun. I'm glad we're all different. It kinda makes life interesting. My husband finds it amusing that when I am about to do something I say 'I'm fixin' to do it'

Re: To: Rebecca Re: Southern Accents

Necee on 1/08/02 at 20:32 (069268)

Hey Rebecca my husband was born and raised in Lubbock, but unlike you he hated it there. He complains about it to this day, says its too flat and there are no trees.
Its so funny whenever we take trips, everyone asks us if we are from Texas, my southern accent gives us away all the time!
Happy Trails...
Necee

Re: "Southern Charm"

Suzanne D on 1/08/02 at 20:37 (069269)

Well, I'm fixin' to put my toboggan on my head and go outside and sled down the hill after I write to y'all... :-) :-) :-)

I've enjoyed this discussion - feel right at home!

Thinking of all of you!!

Carole C on 1/08/02 at 20:40 (069270)

Even though I have lived in Louisiana for six years, and in Texas for 13 years before that, and other Southern states almost all of my adult life, I was not brought up here and I think most people here would say that I have a 'No'thern accent'.

But there is a distinctly Southern accent to the way that I live my life! I don't speak fast, or do things precipitously, I don't drive in the snow, and I appreciate a true gentleman when I meet one.

Carole C

Re: Lubbock

rebecca h on 1/08/02 at 21:26 (069275)

Yep, it's real flat out there. And not many trees, unless you plant them and water them. But didn't he like the jack rabbits and ground squirrels and little horned toads? And the beautiful sunsets? And what about those tumbleweeds? We lived next to a cotton field and had the best time having dirt clod fights. I would like to go back there sometime and visit. Lots of good memories... : )

Necee on 1/09/02 at 00:05 (069293)

Speaking of sunsets, our ranch sits high on a hill and we enjoy the most beautiful sunsets. As a matter of fact as I was driving home from work today the sky was glowing with this magnificent orange/red sunset.

As a child growing up on a ranch my brother and I got into trouble so many times its not funny. One hot Texas summer day we were playing in the hay barn and we came across a hens nest, there was about a dozen eggs laying there in the hay, well being the mischievous kids that we were we opened the loft door and started throwing the eggs out, well......unknown to us our dad had parked his brand new Chevy truck below the loft door, and guess where all those eggs landed, right on the hood of his new truck! Being summertime and he didn't discover the mishap for several hours, those eggs baked into the hood just ruining his truck, and oh my was he mad! But I think the worst time was when my brother was playing with our dads bird dogs, he had somehow opened the trunk of Moms car and about that time he was called inside for lunch, well being a kid he didn't want the dogs to run off so he put them inside the trunk and closed it.....guess what, he forgot about the dogs and they all suffocated. That was a horrible thing, and my brother cried for days. I'm talking about growing up in the country during the 50's and 60's, times were so different back then. Has anyone ever had a corncob fight? or had so many stick-tights in your socks that you just had to throw them away? Oh what I'd give to just go back there for one more day! (And stay out of trouble of course!)

Well, thinking about the past has helped me forget about my pains for the time being, how it has helped you too!

Happy Trails....
Necee

Re: POP

Carmen on 1/09/02 at 08:20 (069306)

I am going to hve some POP with you guys some day....we'll get together and talk and eat Lutefisk and lefsa!

john h on 1/09/02 at 11:29 (069334)

As I remember Lubbock had more Churches per 1000 people than any city in the U.S. I lived in the West End Apartments near the base. We used those water cooler window deals for air conditioning and during the dust storms they made mud. I gave up on washing my car in Lubbock and I think that is where all Tumbleweed originates. I was there when a giant toranado destroyed Silverton which is north of Lubbock. On more than one occasion I had to break off a landing approach because of a toranado. My wife spent half her nights in our neighbors underground toranado shelter. I did not even bother getting out bed it became so common place. Did watch the Red Raiders play ball.

Carole C on 1/09/02 at 11:56 (069340)

I haven't seen much of Lubbock, but as for the most churches per capita my own subjective survey would implicate Meridian, Mississippi. I lived there for a while too and often wondered how all those churches managed to drum up a congregation. LOL

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/09/02 at 12:16 (069347)

I enjoyed reading that so much, Necee! Yes, I have thrown socks away because they had so many stick-tights in them! I grew up in a very small town, but my grandparents lived on a farm not too far away. I kind of stayed away from the animals as I was scared of most of them, though! :-)

We had fun playing hide-and-seek, riding bikes, and running around the neighborhood without a care in the world during those days. No one had to worry about keeping their children right in their own yards. We had yard sales where we mostly swapped our old ocmic books and games, and put on baqckyard 'circuses', charging our parents 25 cents admission!

Thanks for the memories... :-) My children are ready to come back from PE. Back to 2002!

wendyn on 1/09/02 at 13:16 (069349)

Rebecca - where are you near Chicago?

rebecca on 1/09/02 at 13:35 (069358)

North of Chicago about a mile south of the Wisconsin border. About 20 minutes north of Six Flags. If you're ever in the area we will treat you and you're family to dinner.

wendyn on 1/09/02 at 13:42 (069360)

6 Flags Great America. Went there many times as a kid. I have family in Chicago and - oh for Pete's sake - why isn't the name coming to me? 10 minutes from O'Hare or so - right near Rosemont (the water tower with the big rose). This is nuts - my mind is going.

Anyway - I may be there in August...we'll see how I feel about flying closer to the summer.

wendyn on 1/09/02 at 13:44 (069361)

Parkridge Ill.