Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posterior heel spur

Posted by John D on 1/08/02 at 03:20 (069151)

I can find lots of advice about plantar fasciitis (PF), but virtually nothing about treatment for posterior heel spurs (PHS). X-ray shows I have PHS on right foot. Back of heel is swollen. Pain occurence is very similar to that described for PF, but at the back of the heel in region where Achilles tendon is anchored. Sonar scan said to indicate minor tearing at the base of the achilles tendon, but I am very dubious about this. Can you help me, please?

Regards
John Duval

Re: Posterior heel spur

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/08/02 at 08:17 (069166)

The treatment for insertional achilles tendonitis is physical therapy. heel lifts. nsaid, possible orthosis if there is a biomechical conponent,
to your problem. Avoid shoe pressure in the area.

Avoid local steriod injections they can rupture the tendon.

If the area become chronic and nothing works then ESWT is very effective for healing the tears and relieving the pain

Re: Posterior heel spur

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/08/02 at 08:17 (069166)

The treatment for insertional achilles tendonitis is physical therapy. heel lifts. nsaid, possible orthosis if there is a biomechical conponent,
to your problem. Avoid shoe pressure in the area.

Avoid local steriod injections they can rupture the tendon.

If the area become chronic and nothing works then ESWT is very effective for healing the tears and relieving the pain