Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

For Paula

Posted by nancy s. on 1/08/02 at 06:56 (069156)

paula, i've seen your couple of posts recently about people's reactions when someone comes on board and is a little offensive. sometimes i'm sure there are overreactions, but i do think amost no one here tries to provoke anything negative. some of us may react negatively to a post containing something offensive, but a little of that is natural -- and some of them really do need to be responded to, if there is info that might actually mislead people.

it's clear you're having a very hard time footwise (and all the other ways foot problems affect one's life), and i really do believe you're in the right place here! a huge number of posts appear here every day, and the vast vast majority of them are helpful, informative, and compassionate. usually weeks or even months go by between the relatively minor skirmishes that occasionally occur. i hope you don't get too offended by them and leave, because i think the people here are really wonderful and can help each other immeasurably (and have), including you.

besides, we leftover hippies (if i'm remembering you correctly!) need company....

all the best to you, paula.
nancy

Re: For Paula

john h on 1/09/02 at 11:18 (069332)

Nancy: I knew from the first moment I saw your picture Nancy S that you were a hippeeeeeee with those socks and sandals. There just had to be a volkeswagen bus parked in your yard.

JudyS on 1/09/02 at 12:05 (069343)

Now John h, it's been well over a year.....why are we still having trouble convincing you that it's not NancyS in that photo who's wearing the sandle/socks combo.......:)
As for me, I was a 19-year-old mother and Navy wife during the Hippie Heyday so I had no time for flower power...

Suzanne D on 1/09/02 at 15:15 (069372)

I hope you are feeling better today, Paula! I am thinking of you. I appreciate everyone who takes the time to write on this board. I enjoy the differences and the varying opinions - as long as respect for one another prevails. I have learned much and received so much support here in the past 5 months! I thank everyone for their friendship and concern.

Take care! :-)

John h on 1/09/02 at 16:54 (069387)

Judy you still have some of the left over hippie in you and I would not be supprised if you and Nancy were right in the middle of Woodstock when it happened. I know you still prefer a standard shift which is a leftover from the 60's unless you are on the NASCAR circuit.

JudyS on 1/09/02 at 20:01 (069415)

Wrong again, John-boy. It's Nancy N who prefers the standard shift! And she's way too young to remember such a thing from the 60's! (she wasn't even born!) As I said, I was changing diapers at the Great Lakes Naval Base when Woodstock occured - I had no time to go party my head off and never could figure out why folks wanted to climb out of their own minds by staying stoned. FYI - I own two cars - one the beautifully utilitarian Ford Explorer with automatic shift that I adore (it has hauled my baseball gear around the countryside faithfully for eight years now), and the other an ancient Mazda RX-7 Turbo two-seater, standard shift, which I adore. Lucky for me I get to choose a car that fits my mood-of-the-day! Notice that I don't own the more sophisticated Benz, Caddy or Infiniti. I guess sophisticated just isn't in my mood makeup! Lucky for me too that my husband drives a Ford pickup truck that I can snag when I'm in a macho mood!

john h on 1/10/02 at 10:57 (069504)

judy you are right! Now I remember you had the roll downed socks with sandals and Nancy had the cat socks. I do not remember the 60's crowd being much into wine. Nancy do you live near the village Jessica Fletcher lives in? Exactly where were you Nancy S and Judy S in the late 60's and what were you doing'

Re: Hippies in Birkenstocks? nahhhhhh...... :)

Carole C on 1/10/02 at 15:26 (069550)

John, really they are not so much a hippie thing! I should know. In 1968 I was living in a commune in Berkeley, marching against the war, doing my own macrame and card-weaving, listening to Bob Dylan, and trying to grow my own vegetables and more. Since that time, the world has changed and so have I. I was even a Navy wife for over a decade, I don't smoke or drink, and for the past couple of decades I've been politically conservative to fatalistic. Never trust anybody over 30! :)

The Birkenstocks that I got in November were my first pair, though! I never really knew anybody that wore them back in California except rich kids whose parents gave them polo horses for Christmas.

We hippie types went barefoot a lot; some wore hiking boots.

Carole C

Re: For Paula -- john, you're obsessed, aren't you?

nancy s. on 1/12/02 at 04:00 (069720)

john, i just know you wish you'd been a hippie and i'm happy to give you any vicarious experiences you wish.
i never had a VW bus. i rode in a lot of them. but i never had any car till i was 35; that car was 16 years old. it had good vibes, john, that's the only reason i bought it. now i have a '92 aerostar van.

guess what, I HAD TICKETS TO WOODSTOCK but, when my boyfriend and i heard on the radio that it was overrun and no one could get in, we actually believed it and didn't go! we were halfway there -- actually were going to college near there -- but to this day i can't believe we gave up. not only that, i tossed out the tickets, which are worth big bucks now.

in the late sixties i was a freshman & sophomore at a good, progressive liberal arts college in new york state, where a certain member of this board teaches as i write. and yes, john, i was a protester of certain events taking place at that time. now you'll never speak to me again, will you! i was studying literature, piano, and psychology, and just getting by in a number of other courses. i flunked gym because i never went. for that, they put me on ACADEMIC probation, believe it or not.

but i never lived in a commune, and i worked every working calendar day of my life, until pf hit me.

in the pic of me and judy, i'm wearing cat socks AND black boston birks.

yes, i now live only 20 miles from jessica fletcher. she has turned very irreverent in her old age, you wouldn't recognize her.
nancy

Nancy N on 1/12/02 at 09:15 (069731)

John, Judy has it right--I am the one who can't stand automatics (had to drive one in Florida--rental car--and it drove me nuts). Both my cars have been 5-speeds and I intend to continue with those until my left foot/leg falls off. Maybe I just like being in control? :) No fancy cars for me, though I have to admit that I'm totally taken with a friend's new Volvo. Trumps my 93 Saturn (just shy of 100,000 miles and getting a little rattly--but still going strong) any day of the week.

I definitely do not remember the 60s. I was born in 71, so I missed them completely. My parents remember them though--but what's that saying I see all the time? If you remember the 60s, you weren't there?

John h on 1/12/02 at 09:30 (069732)

Everyone protested something in the 60's Nancy. We had protesters protesting protest. My only disappointment is that you flunked Gym which was my favorite subject. Birk Boston's certainly would fit into the hippy mould. How your life might have been changed if you had continued on to Woodstock???? The Air Force had occasion to send me back to college for 8 months in 1970 so there I was living by myself in middle age admist a wild group of college kids. I found that I could get A's by just studying a little bit and going to class. Wonder why I did not figure that out when I was in college in my teens. Take care of yourself dude or dudess!

nancy s. on 1/12/02 at 16:35 (069776)

well there's a new one, john. what did you do in 1970 when you weren't in class?
you're right -- protesters protested protesters and protesting, and THAT'S what was so confusing about the sixties. it was not the pot.
gym was your favorite subject? if i'd known, i'd have worked harder at it, because i just decided i'd rather have you for an ex-husband than dr. lewi.
well who knows, if i'd made it to woodstock, maybe i would've married roger what's-his-name of The Who. roger daltrey. i doubt it, though. i couldn't take all that fringe. but i always liked the 'see me' part of the rock opera 'Tommy.'
you take care, dude.
nancy

John h on 1/13/02 at 18:19 (069892)

Nancy: In 1970 the Air Force decided to send to the U. Of Nebraska at Omaha for a summer and fall term. I did have to take 21 hours in the fall and 6 in the summer so I did work. I lived with a young Army Lt in an apratment complex (a guy Nancy). He flunked out almost immediately as he could not adjust to having all the girls around. It is very different going back to school full time when you have matured. Actually it was a lot of fun because about 3/4 of the students barely studied which made me look good. It was definitely The Age of Acquaris fof me. Alas when I returned to my base they sent me directly back to Vietnam for a second time (probably as punishment for being at school). Mary did not think much of this advanced education no matter how much I told her how it would further my career. Peace dudess!

nancy s. on 1/14/02 at 05:42 (069943)

having younger students fooling around and not studying would make almost any older student look good, and i'm glad you managed to be one of them, john.
now what were you doing rooming with a guy named nancy. i bet mary didn't buy that one for a second.
nancy

John h on 1/14/02 at 16:15 (069976)

nancy s I tried to keep my roommate on the straight and narrow but alas another good man done in by the women. no, his name was not nancy and as a matter of fact i cannot even remember it. while i was in the apartment hitting the books he was dancing to Janis Joplin somewhere out there in Omaha.

john h on 1/09/02 at 11:18 (069332)

Nancy: I knew from the first moment I saw your picture Nancy S that you were a hippeeeeeee with those socks and sandals. There just had to be a volkeswagen bus parked in your yard.

JudyS on 1/09/02 at 12:05 (069343)

Now John h, it's been well over a year.....why are we still having trouble convincing you that it's not NancyS in that photo who's wearing the sandle/socks combo.......:)
As for me, I was a 19-year-old mother and Navy wife during the Hippie Heyday so I had no time for flower power...

Suzanne D on 1/09/02 at 15:15 (069372)

I hope you are feeling better today, Paula! I am thinking of you. I appreciate everyone who takes the time to write on this board. I enjoy the differences and the varying opinions - as long as respect for one another prevails. I have learned much and received so much support here in the past 5 months! I thank everyone for their friendship and concern.

Take care! :-)

John h on 1/09/02 at 16:54 (069387)

Judy you still have some of the left over hippie in you and I would not be supprised if you and Nancy were right in the middle of Woodstock when it happened. I know you still prefer a standard shift which is a leftover from the 60's unless you are on the NASCAR circuit.

JudyS on 1/09/02 at 20:01 (069415)

Wrong again, John-boy. It's Nancy N who prefers the standard shift! And she's way too young to remember such a thing from the 60's! (she wasn't even born!) As I said, I was changing diapers at the Great Lakes Naval Base when Woodstock occured - I had no time to go party my head off and never could figure out why folks wanted to climb out of their own minds by staying stoned. FYI - I own two cars - one the beautifully utilitarian Ford Explorer with automatic shift that I adore (it has hauled my baseball gear around the countryside faithfully for eight years now), and the other an ancient Mazda RX-7 Turbo two-seater, standard shift, which I adore. Lucky for me I get to choose a car that fits my mood-of-the-day! Notice that I don't own the more sophisticated Benz, Caddy or Infiniti. I guess sophisticated just isn't in my mood makeup! Lucky for me too that my husband drives a Ford pickup truck that I can snag when I'm in a macho mood!

john h on 1/10/02 at 10:57 (069504)

judy you are right! Now I remember you had the roll downed socks with sandals and Nancy had the cat socks. I do not remember the 60's crowd being much into wine. Nancy do you live near the village Jessica Fletcher lives in? Exactly where were you Nancy S and Judy S in the late 60's and what were you doing'

Re: Hippies in Birkenstocks? nahhhhhh...... :)

Carole C on 1/10/02 at 15:26 (069550)

John, really they are not so much a hippie thing! I should know. In 1968 I was living in a commune in Berkeley, marching against the war, doing my own macrame and card-weaving, listening to Bob Dylan, and trying to grow my own vegetables and more. Since that time, the world has changed and so have I. I was even a Navy wife for over a decade, I don't smoke or drink, and for the past couple of decades I've been politically conservative to fatalistic. Never trust anybody over 30! :)

The Birkenstocks that I got in November were my first pair, though! I never really knew anybody that wore them back in California except rich kids whose parents gave them polo horses for Christmas.

We hippie types went barefoot a lot; some wore hiking boots.

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/12/02 at 04:00 (069720)

john, i just know you wish you'd been a hippie and i'm happy to give you any vicarious experiences you wish.
i never had a VW bus. i rode in a lot of them. but i never had any car till i was 35; that car was 16 years old. it had good vibes, john, that's the only reason i bought it. now i have a '92 aerostar van.

guess what, I HAD TICKETS TO WOODSTOCK but, when my boyfriend and i heard on the radio that it was overrun and no one could get in, we actually believed it and didn't go! we were halfway there -- actually were going to college near there -- but to this day i can't believe we gave up. not only that, i tossed out the tickets, which are worth big bucks now.

in the late sixties i was a freshman & sophomore at a good, progressive liberal arts college in new york state, where a certain member of this board teaches as i write. and yes, john, i was a protester of certain events taking place at that time. now you'll never speak to me again, will you! i was studying literature, piano, and psychology, and just getting by in a number of other courses. i flunked gym because i never went. for that, they put me on ACADEMIC probation, believe it or not.

but i never lived in a commune, and i worked every working calendar day of my life, until pf hit me.

in the pic of me and judy, i'm wearing cat socks AND black boston birks.

yes, i now live only 20 miles from jessica fletcher. she has turned very irreverent in her old age, you wouldn't recognize her.
nancy

Nancy N on 1/12/02 at 09:15 (069731)

John, Judy has it right--I am the one who can't stand automatics (had to drive one in Florida--rental car--and it drove me nuts). Both my cars have been 5-speeds and I intend to continue with those until my left foot/leg falls off. Maybe I just like being in control? :) No fancy cars for me, though I have to admit that I'm totally taken with a friend's new Volvo. Trumps my 93 Saturn (just shy of 100,000 miles and getting a little rattly--but still going strong) any day of the week.

I definitely do not remember the 60s. I was born in 71, so I missed them completely. My parents remember them though--but what's that saying I see all the time? If you remember the 60s, you weren't there?

John h on 1/12/02 at 09:30 (069732)

Everyone protested something in the 60's Nancy. We had protesters protesting protest. My only disappointment is that you flunked Gym which was my favorite subject. Birk Boston's certainly would fit into the hippy mould. How your life might have been changed if you had continued on to Woodstock???? The Air Force had occasion to send me back to college for 8 months in 1970 so there I was living by myself in middle age admist a wild group of college kids. I found that I could get A's by just studying a little bit and going to class. Wonder why I did not figure that out when I was in college in my teens. Take care of yourself dude or dudess!

nancy s. on 1/12/02 at 16:35 (069776)

well there's a new one, john. what did you do in 1970 when you weren't in class?
you're right -- protesters protested protesters and protesting, and THAT'S what was so confusing about the sixties. it was not the pot.
gym was your favorite subject? if i'd known, i'd have worked harder at it, because i just decided i'd rather have you for an ex-husband than dr. lewi.
well who knows, if i'd made it to woodstock, maybe i would've married roger what's-his-name of The Who. roger daltrey. i doubt it, though. i couldn't take all that fringe. but i always liked the 'see me' part of the rock opera 'Tommy.'
you take care, dude.
nancy

John h on 1/13/02 at 18:19 (069892)

Nancy: In 1970 the Air Force decided to send to the U. Of Nebraska at Omaha for a summer and fall term. I did have to take 21 hours in the fall and 6 in the summer so I did work. I lived with a young Army Lt in an apratment complex (a guy Nancy). He flunked out almost immediately as he could not adjust to having all the girls around. It is very different going back to school full time when you have matured. Actually it was a lot of fun because about 3/4 of the students barely studied which made me look good. It was definitely The Age of Acquaris fof me. Alas when I returned to my base they sent me directly back to Vietnam for a second time (probably as punishment for being at school). Mary did not think much of this advanced education no matter how much I told her how it would further my career. Peace dudess!

nancy s. on 1/14/02 at 05:42 (069943)

having younger students fooling around and not studying would make almost any older student look good, and i'm glad you managed to be one of them, john.
now what were you doing rooming with a guy named nancy. i bet mary didn't buy that one for a second.
nancy

John h on 1/14/02 at 16:15 (069976)

nancy s I tried to keep my roommate on the straight and narrow but alas another good man done in by the women. no, his name was not nancy and as a matter of fact i cannot even remember it. while i was in the apartment hitting the books he was dancing to Janis Joplin somewhere out there in Omaha.