Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

stayed home today

Posted by Tammie on 1/08/02 at 09:21 (069185)

Well I am not sure if any of this medicine can make the nervy stuff worse then is or not but I had one of the worse nights and early mornings of my life with nerve pain. It was so bad I was sick anytime I tried to stand on my foot. I did not go to work (that alone will say how bad it was) I never miss work. Ok need some suggestions, Dr. out but she is at the hospital today. Do you think this could be related to the elevail? Or maybe it just was a bad night because I did a 2 day weekend. In any case I am feeling a bit better now but I have just taken some ultram. I was deciding if I should bother her at hospital or wait till tomorrow and see how things are. I am off work now till fri. I felt awfully guilty about not going in but I could not even walk on foot I finally am using a crutch and like I said it is a bit better with the ultram. Thanks for listening. I hope I will be able to read this as I have been unable to read board dont know what is going on .

Re: stayed home today

BrianG on 1/09/02 at 10:19 (069316)

Hi Tammie,

I would try to call the doc today. You have to keep her informed. If you don't, she'll just assume everything is OK, which couldn't be further from the truth. Can you break the Elevil in half? She may want you to start on a lower dose. Put those feet up and rest. Order take out tonight, and have your hubby pick it up on his way home. Rest, rest, rest, even take a nap today :*)

BCG

Laurie R on 1/09/02 at 10:23 (069318)

Dear Tammie , I am so sorry you had to miss work due to your foot pain... It must be bad for you to stay home from the job you love.... I understand the nerve pain , it is like a tooth ache but in your foot. I hope your meds start to help you so you can feel better.. If you do get ahold of your doctor lets us know what she has to say about the meds....My very best to you always ..Much love ,Laurie R

wendyn on 1/09/02 at 13:24 (069353)

According to the good folks at the neuropathy board although Elavil is used to treat nerve pain - it has been implicated in some cases of actually causing neuropathy.

Might be worth asking the doctor if it's okay to try stopping it to see what happens.

Suzanne D on 1/09/02 at 15:07 (069370)

Tammie, how are you today? I DO hope that you are feeling better and had a better night last night! Were you able to get hold of the doctor?

I am thinking of you!

Donna D on 1/09/02 at 20:13 (069416)

Hi Wendyn
Just reading your post, will you please share
the info. on Elevail & Neuropathy.My Dr. wwanted me to start on it for pain,as of now I refused.
Thank's Donna D.
P.S. I never knew so many people had foot pain
till I found this board.

Re: To Donna

wendyn on 1/09/02 at 23:35 (069444)

Hi Donna - it's pretty late here and I'm just whipping through posts before I go to bed.

I believe most of what I found about Elavil possibly causing neuropathy I found at http://www.neuropathy.org

But - I also know that Elavil is often used to TREAT nerve pain. Seems to work sometimes anyway. Some people here have had good results with it.

I had it prescribed for me - but I decided not to go on it. I have something of a medicine phobia - and I decided to wait and see - turned out I found other ways around it.

Let me know if you need more info and I'll try to respond when I have more time.

Merci.

BrianG on 1/09/02 at 10:19 (069316)

Hi Tammie,

I would try to call the doc today. You have to keep her informed. If you don't, she'll just assume everything is OK, which couldn't be further from the truth. Can you break the Elevil in half? She may want you to start on a lower dose. Put those feet up and rest. Order take out tonight, and have your hubby pick it up on his way home. Rest, rest, rest, even take a nap today :*)

BCG

Laurie R on 1/09/02 at 10:23 (069318)

Dear Tammie , I am so sorry you had to miss work due to your foot pain... It must be bad for you to stay home from the job you love.... I understand the nerve pain , it is like a tooth ache but in your foot. I hope your meds start to help you so you can feel better.. If you do get ahold of your doctor lets us know what she has to say about the meds....My very best to you always ..Much love ,Laurie R

wendyn on 1/09/02 at 13:24 (069353)

According to the good folks at the neuropathy board although Elavil is used to treat nerve pain - it has been implicated in some cases of actually causing neuropathy.

Might be worth asking the doctor if it's okay to try stopping it to see what happens.

Suzanne D on 1/09/02 at 15:07 (069370)

Tammie, how are you today? I DO hope that you are feeling better and had a better night last night! Were you able to get hold of the doctor?

I am thinking of you!

Donna D on 1/09/02 at 20:13 (069416)

Hi Wendyn
Just reading your post, will you please share
the info. on Elevail & Neuropathy.My Dr. wwanted me to start on it for pain,as of now I refused.
Thank's Donna D.
P.S. I never knew so many people had foot pain
till I found this board.

Re: To Donna

wendyn on 1/09/02 at 23:35 (069444)

Hi Donna - it's pretty late here and I'm just whipping through posts before I go to bed.

I believe most of what I found about Elavil possibly causing neuropathy I found at http://www.neuropathy.org

But - I also know that Elavil is often used to TREAT nerve pain. Seems to work sometimes anyway. Some people here have had good results with it.

I had it prescribed for me - but I decided not to go on it. I have something of a medicine phobia - and I decided to wait and see - turned out I found other ways around it.

Let me know if you need more info and I'll try to respond when I have more time.

Merci.