Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Please help with advice on post op recovery of PF and heel spur surgery....This is long...

Posted by Crystal S on 1/09/02 at 19:55 (069413)

Hi,I had heel spur and PF release surgery on Oct.3rd,2001 and I still can not walk very good.The podiatrist that I was seeing at that time that performed the surgery had me on my foot immediately.He made his incision on the outer side of my left heel and closed it with staples.Well the staples were taken out after 3 weeks.After they had been removed the incision came back open so I went back in to the doctor.Well he never even looked at it,his nurse came in put some steri strips on it and said it was fine.Well this was the way my post op appointments continued me going in and the doctor never even looking at my foot and his nurse telling me it was fine.They had put me in a shoe that has a hard bottom and velcros across the top after surgery but that just hurt worse.So they gave me a different shoe that is like rubber inside and it helped a tiny bit but it has no arch support so it to hurts to walk in it after a little while.They used a machine that puts out heat and some stuff that smelled like Icy Hot or Bengay all over my foot for some therapy but my foot was so sore that it hurt more than felt good.Then another time they used a machine that has these pads and sends out impulses for therapy.Neither of these helped and
the doctor LITERALLY never stayed in the room over a minute.Then my foot started looking infected so I went back AGAIN and it was still open and definitely had some infection.Well this time he actually looked at it and told me not to worry about it to not put neosporin on it to use Betadine on it which irratated it more.By this point it was the beginning of November and I still could hardly walk.Well I was scheduled for a hysterectomy on Nov. 9th,2001 so I was not going to be able to go to the foot doc for awhile.I made the decision to not go back to him.So after I was recovered I went to a new podiatrist.She said that she thought my foot was possibly infected and for me to keep it covered and use neosporin on it and she put me on an antibiotic for 10 days and that I might have to have it cut back open to clean it up and sew it back up better (It was still open).Then I was supposed to come back for her to decide what we were going to do next.The neosporin did the trick and it healed and closed up with a big thick scar though and is still sore to the touch even now.Well when I went back I saw her husband instead and he said that he had never seen anyone do surgery on the outside part of the heel because that all of the nerves are on that side that run down into the foot and that it is better to do the inside part.So he thinks that I may have an entrapped nerve due to this.Plus where it was not closed properly it has formed an enormous amount of scar tissue.Plus he asked how long I was told to stay off of my foot was it at least a week or two? I said no I was told that I could be on it immediately and could drive in a week if wanted to.He said well you were allowed to get on it to soon.So he suggested that I get a cortisone shot to help with the inflamation etc.It hurt like crazy because my foot is SOOOO sore still.After he did the shot he said there was no doubt I was going to have to have it opened back up and get some of that scar tissue out of there.I am supposed to go back in 3 weeks to see what we do next.My primary care doctor has ordered a bone scan for the 22nd of Jan but the podiatrist says it will be positive because of the surgery so there is no need to do it.What on earth do I do next? I still have TERRIBLE pain every day.I can't hardly walk through a store.I am 29 years old and have 2 kids I need some help!! I am so furious with the other doctor for the poor care that I received and am beginning to wonder if I shouldn't do something about it.What repercusions do I have here?? I came out and asked the new doctor if the other one was to blame for my problems and he said 'oh no I wouldn't say that' but I know good and well that he is at least partly responsible,this new doctor just doesn't want any part of that.So someone please help me...tell me what to do next??? Are the procedures that I have mentioned standard.Where do the doctors on here do heel spur surgery? On the outside or inside of the heel? How much has been done right during this surgery? My foot is no better and maybe worse since this last shot the pain is in the heel really bad,in the incision area and in the arch.I can't even wiggle my toes without pain and in the meantime my other foot which still has a spur and PF is just getting worse because I tend to use it more.I would really appreciate any advice and help.I know when I go back my doctor he is going to want to schedule surgery and I am frankly scared to go through this all over again on the same foot.I just don't know what to do.Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any help.

Crystal

Re: Please help with advice on post op recovery of PF and heel spur surgery....This is long...

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/10/02 at 11:44 (069512)

Hi
So sorry you are in such bad pain. Here are some my thoughs. The bone scan is going to be positive due to the recent surgery unless it is labeled with white blood cells, this is called an indium scan An mri would be better to rule out any abcess or infection. Now lets assume that there is no infection, heel spur surgery especially the open type can take six months or more to start to feel better.

I would get you non-weight bearing with a cast if there is no infection. . It is much too soon for another surgery unless the treating doctor can be 100 percent positive that there is a nerve entrapement

Re: Please help with advice on post op recovery of PF and heel spur surgery....This is long...

Crystal S on 1/10/02 at 15:13 (069546)

Hi Dr. Zuckerman,
Thank you so much for responding.What do you mean by non-weight bearing with a cast? Do you literally mean a cast like if you have a broken bone? How does the doctor know if there is definitely nerve entrapment? What about the need for repeat surgery due to scar tissue buildup? I really appreciate your advice.I am trying to educate myself so that I am aware of all of my options.At this point I am regretting ever having any surgery at all.We had tried strapping,injections,medicine,therapy,etc and I thought this was my only option left.Now I really wonder.

Crystal

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/10/02 at 16:05 (069559)

Hi,

Nerve entrapement can be a tough problem to rule out. Experience, the use of local anesthetic can help to make this detemination. You need to know the anatomy and what nerves could be entraped to make the diagnosis

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/10/02 at 11:44 (069512)

Hi
So sorry you are in such bad pain. Here are some my thoughs. The bone scan is going to be positive due to the recent surgery unless it is labeled with white blood cells, this is called an indium scan An mri would be better to rule out any abcess or infection. Now lets assume that there is no infection, heel spur surgery especially the open type can take six months or more to start to feel better.

I would get you non-weight bearing with a cast if there is no infection. . It is much too soon for another surgery unless the treating doctor can be 100 percent positive that there is a nerve entrapement

Crystal S on 1/10/02 at 15:13 (069546)

Hi Dr. Zuckerman,
Thank you so much for responding.What do you mean by non-weight bearing with a cast? Do you literally mean a cast like if you have a broken bone? How does the doctor know if there is definitely nerve entrapment? What about the need for repeat surgery due to scar tissue buildup? I really appreciate your advice.I am trying to educate myself so that I am aware of all of my options.At this point I am regretting ever having any surgery at all.We had tried strapping,injections,medicine,therapy,etc and I thought this was my only option left.Now I really wonder.

Crystal

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/10/02 at 16:05 (069559)

Hi,

Nerve entrapement can be a tough problem to rule out. Experience, the use of local anesthetic can help to make this detemination. You need to know the anatomy and what nerves could be entraped to make the diagnosis