Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A very imporant poll

Posted by wendyn on 1/09/02 at 23:43 (069447)

In the interest of Science and VERY IMPORTANT THINGS - a poll

(taken here so that Scott does not ban Elliott and I from the Doctors board)

Do you read magazines from backwards or fowards?

Re: Forwards

wendyn on 1/09/02 at 23:44 (069448)

I am no longer able to type - should read FORWARDS

But for the record - I read them backward

Re: backwards

elliott on 1/09/02 at 23:49 (069449)

except when I'm suffering from PMS. :-)

Re: A very imporant poll

Laurie R on 1/10/02 at 00:42 (069451)

Wendy I have no clue if you are joking or what , as you know I am very dyslexic and I have always read magazines backwards . I also thought it was due to my dyslexia . I start off in the front , then I always end up looking backwards , beack to front ..... Laurie R

Laurie R on 1/10/02 at 00:43 (069452)

eom

rebecca h on 1/10/02 at 02:02 (069455)

Neither forwards nor backwards. I just look at the index and go to the articles that look interesting.

Nancy N on 1/10/02 at 05:47 (069459)

Some of each. I'll check out the index at some point, but if I am just flipping through I tend to start from the back. No idea why.

BG CPed on 1/10/02 at 06:42 (069460)

Sometimes from the back but most of my literary pursuits start from the center, I think it is because of those 3 thicker pages in the middle always make it open first. My other habit is to first remove all of those blow cards and tear out marketing ads and toss em

Rick R on 1/10/02 at 07:26 (069464)

Thank goodness for science. Back to front. But then again I used to write backwards too (no kidding!). I believe that if I went to school in these sensitive and caring times I would have been labeled as dyslexic and culled from the herd. But back in my day after the 10 mile barefoot walk to school in the snow, my fragile little ego was shattered by constant reminders that I cared less than the other little darlings.

Rick

Richard, C.Ped on 1/10/02 at 08:06 (069469)

I have never thought about it until now. I do tend to flip from back to front. Hmmmmm......
Richard

Re: Is anyone left-handed here?

Valerie S on 1/10/02 at 09:31 (069480)

Hi. It seems that just about everyone says they read from back to front... so do I. I like looking at the last article inside the back cover. I also tear out the ads and cards ASAP, for easy flipping.

I think it's easier to flip from back to front, but I'm not sure why that is... I wonder if whether you are right or left-handed has anything to do with how you hold a magazine? I'm right-handed.

Plus, the front of the magazine in almost always full of ads anyways.

V.

Steve P on 1/10/02 at 09:48 (069484)

Wendy --- Years ago there was an engineering study that showed that RIGHT HANDED people hold a magazine a certain way & that it is easier for them (right handers) to flip through from back page to front page.

Since about 90% of the world is right-handed, I guess a lot of us go thru mags from back to front!

Necee on 1/10/02 at 10:00 (069486)

Well, I read a magazine from front to back. And Richard if you tear out all the adds theres not much left to look at. Guess thats why I only subscribe to one, COUNTRY LIVING! What else!
Happy Trails......
Necee

PatC on 1/10/02 at 10:11 (069488)

Well I guess that I'm different from the majority. I read from front to back. First I skim the articles and then go back to ones I really want to read.

john h on 1/10/02 at 10:39 (069498)

Actually it sort of depends on the reading material and how I feel that day. I certainly did not start War and Peace from the back. I generally start Playboy in the middle. I start Newsweek in the back page because I always like to read the editorial. I look at the index of many materials and read what interest me most first. I always read Scott's post last sentence first to see if I have been excommunicated from the board. Those languages that read from right to left or up and down create further problems. Hasta lavista Wendy.

BrianG on 1/10/02 at 12:12 (069516)

I only look at the pictures :*)

Re: same here!

Suzanne D on 1/10/02 at 14:10 (069532)

What Rebecca said applies to me as well: I generally look at the index and go to what seems most interesting to me first. Probably because I don't look at too many magazines at home - usually somewhere like at the doctor or dentist, and I suppose I would go to what interested me first in case they called me back before I got through the whole thing!

Re: A different answer!

Carole C on 1/10/02 at 15:03 (069541)

I'm different from all of you. I don't read magazines! I don't like them and to me they are about as worthless as comic books. The only times I might pick one up is in the doctor's office, and then I just let it fall open, look at the picture, and throw it back on the table. These days when I go to my doctor's office, I bring my iPAQ pocket PC, which provides me with plenty to read and lots of entertainment, so that I don't have to look at the magazines.

I read journals by the article. I skim the table of contents, and go to the most interesting one first.

Carole C

wendyn on 1/10/02 at 19:45 (069581)

No Laurie - I wasn't kidding, and I certainly wasn't picking on dyslexia!

I really do read back to front (magazines).

Someone here thought it might be because most of us are right handed. Could be - it just seems to feel wrong to flip a magazine from front to back.

Weird

wendyn on 1/10/02 at 19:48 (069582)

John - you put WAY too much thought into this answer. And let's be realistic - you don't READ playboy anyway. Or maybe you're one of those guys who just reads it for the articles....right?

Nancy N on 1/10/02 at 19:55 (069584)

John, you are just TOO funny!

Pam B on 1/10/02 at 20:38 (069588)

Laurie, there you go again, I thought you were gonna stop tellin :) haha, I caught ya......by the way, I read them from back to front most of the time.......and the point to this poll is to take our minds off our pain????????? :) it works :)

Laurie R on 1/10/02 at 21:01 (069590)

Dear Wendy , I knew you were not picking on dyslexia , you are a very kind person not an evil one... My friend , I know you well enough now ..... I don't find it weird that most of us read them from back to front. To me that is normal and it is so nice to know that most of us do it that way . For once I am in the in croud ......GO Laurie !!!!!

Laurie R on 1/10/02 at 21:04 (069592)

Hi Pam , You caught me , your right I did say I would stop telling ... I will say this is not taking my mind off of my pain tonight .. I am having a major RSD flair up and my fibroma is trying to come out of my tendon on it own ...... HELP me !!!!! I did get an appointment to go and see my PM doctor tomarrow instead of Monday , so I am hoping he is going to do somethng for this terrible pain . I will tell you guys , I don't know how much more of this I can take ........Laurie R

Beverly on 1/10/02 at 21:07 (069594)

I love magazines. I usually flip through it forwards.
Beverly

Anthony P on 1/10/02 at 21:30 (069600)

I read magazines forward to back , I guess I'm the odd one right handed too

Maureen S on 1/10/02 at 21:38 (069601)

Backwards to forwards!!
Thanks for asking
Maureen

Re: To Laurie

wendyn on 1/10/02 at 22:39 (069609)

HI Laurie - I am sorry you are having a bad pain night.

My feet are hot and sore too - but I know that my bad pain days do not compare to yours. And amputation with a dull butter knife sounds pretty good to me today...so I can't imagine you're agony.

Take it easy - and I hope tomorrow is a better day.

john h on 1/11/02 at 10:58 (069629)

Wendy: I have read several articles over the years about how many people read publications from back to front. It is not that unusual. Now if you start to read a novel like that I will question your sanity.

john h on 1/11/02 at 11:04 (069630)

Yes there are some very important philosophical articles in Playboy that will enlighten our souls. Now understand Mary does not allow this fine literature in our home but sitting up there in the cockpit of a DC6 flying a 12 hour flight to Europe you sort of run out of things to do over the North Atlantic. Fortunately for me there were always passengers who had this cultural literature with them. Of course you know the Editor is a lady.

nancy s. on 1/12/02 at 03:39 (069717)

oh for heaven's sake. used to be if you didn't read the board for two days you'd have about 100-150 posts to catch up on. now it's in the 400-500 range! there's no hope for me this time. but here's an easy one to answer.

i sometimes read magazines backwards and sometimes forwards. i'm ambidextrous in my reading of magazines. i'm left-handed.
nancy

JudyS on 1/12/02 at 19:12 (069806)

Lefty here, too. I look at them back-to-front when I'm disinterest or in a hurry because that's they way they 'flip' for a lefty. But when I want to sit down and luxuriously enjoy them, it's front to back, page by page.

Re: Forwards

wendyn on 1/09/02 at 23:44 (069448)

I am no longer able to type - should read FORWARDS

But for the record - I read them backward

Re: backwards

elliott on 1/09/02 at 23:49 (069449)

except when I'm suffering from PMS. :-)

Laurie R on 1/10/02 at 00:42 (069451)

Wendy I have no clue if you are joking or what , as you know I am very dyslexic and I have always read magazines backwards . I also thought it was due to my dyslexia . I start off in the front , then I always end up looking backwards , beack to front ..... Laurie R

Laurie R on 1/10/02 at 00:43 (069452)

eom

rebecca h on 1/10/02 at 02:02 (069455)

Neither forwards nor backwards. I just look at the index and go to the articles that look interesting.

Nancy N on 1/10/02 at 05:47 (069459)

Some of each. I'll check out the index at some point, but if I am just flipping through I tend to start from the back. No idea why.

BG CPed on 1/10/02 at 06:42 (069460)

Sometimes from the back but most of my literary pursuits start from the center, I think it is because of those 3 thicker pages in the middle always make it open first. My other habit is to first remove all of those blow cards and tear out marketing ads and toss em

Rick R on 1/10/02 at 07:26 (069464)

Thank goodness for science. Back to front. But then again I used to write backwards too (no kidding!). I believe that if I went to school in these sensitive and caring times I would have been labeled as dyslexic and culled from the herd. But back in my day after the 10 mile barefoot walk to school in the snow, my fragile little ego was shattered by constant reminders that I cared less than the other little darlings.

Rick

Richard, C.Ped on 1/10/02 at 08:06 (069469)

I have never thought about it until now. I do tend to flip from back to front. Hmmmmm......
Richard

Re: Is anyone left-handed here?

Valerie S on 1/10/02 at 09:31 (069480)

Hi. It seems that just about everyone says they read from back to front... so do I. I like looking at the last article inside the back cover. I also tear out the ads and cards ASAP, for easy flipping.

I think it's easier to flip from back to front, but I'm not sure why that is... I wonder if whether you are right or left-handed has anything to do with how you hold a magazine? I'm right-handed.

Plus, the front of the magazine in almost always full of ads anyways.

V.

Steve P on 1/10/02 at 09:48 (069484)

Wendy --- Years ago there was an engineering study that showed that RIGHT HANDED people hold a magazine a certain way & that it is easier for them (right handers) to flip through from back page to front page.

Since about 90% of the world is right-handed, I guess a lot of us go thru mags from back to front!

Necee on 1/10/02 at 10:00 (069486)

Well, I read a magazine from front to back. And Richard if you tear out all the adds theres not much left to look at. Guess thats why I only subscribe to one, COUNTRY LIVING! What else!
Happy Trails......
Necee

PatC on 1/10/02 at 10:11 (069488)

Well I guess that I'm different from the majority. I read from front to back. First I skim the articles and then go back to ones I really want to read.

john h on 1/10/02 at 10:39 (069498)

Actually it sort of depends on the reading material and how I feel that day. I certainly did not start War and Peace from the back. I generally start Playboy in the middle. I start Newsweek in the back page because I always like to read the editorial. I look at the index of many materials and read what interest me most first. I always read Scott's post last sentence first to see if I have been excommunicated from the board. Those languages that read from right to left or up and down create further problems. Hasta lavista Wendy.

BrianG on 1/10/02 at 12:12 (069516)

I only look at the pictures :*)

Re: same here!

Suzanne D on 1/10/02 at 14:10 (069532)

What Rebecca said applies to me as well: I generally look at the index and go to what seems most interesting to me first. Probably because I don't look at too many magazines at home - usually somewhere like at the doctor or dentist, and I suppose I would go to what interested me first in case they called me back before I got through the whole thing!

Carole C on 1/10/02 at 15:03 (069541)

I'm different from all of you. I don't read magazines! I don't like them and to me they are about as worthless as comic books. The only times I might pick one up is in the doctor's office, and then I just let it fall open, look at the picture, and throw it back on the table. These days when I go to my doctor's office, I bring my iPAQ pocket PC, which provides me with plenty to read and lots of entertainment, so that I don't have to look at the magazines.

I read journals by the article. I skim the table of contents, and go to the most interesting one first.

Carole C

wendyn on 1/10/02 at 19:45 (069581)

No Laurie - I wasn't kidding, and I certainly wasn't picking on dyslexia!

I really do read back to front (magazines).

Someone here thought it might be because most of us are right handed. Could be - it just seems to feel wrong to flip a magazine from front to back.

Weird

wendyn on 1/10/02 at 19:48 (069582)

John - you put WAY too much thought into this answer. And let's be realistic - you don't READ playboy anyway. Or maybe you're one of those guys who just reads it for the articles....right?

Nancy N on 1/10/02 at 19:55 (069584)

John, you are just TOO funny!

Pam B on 1/10/02 at 20:38 (069588)

Laurie, there you go again, I thought you were gonna stop tellin :) haha, I caught ya......by the way, I read them from back to front most of the time.......and the point to this poll is to take our minds off our pain????????? :) it works :)

Laurie R on 1/10/02 at 21:01 (069590)

Dear Wendy , I knew you were not picking on dyslexia , you are a very kind person not an evil one... My friend , I know you well enough now ..... I don't find it weird that most of us read them from back to front. To me that is normal and it is so nice to know that most of us do it that way . For once I am in the in croud ......GO Laurie !!!!!

Laurie R on 1/10/02 at 21:04 (069592)

Hi Pam , You caught me , your right I did say I would stop telling ... I will say this is not taking my mind off of my pain tonight .. I am having a major RSD flair up and my fibroma is trying to come out of my tendon on it own ...... HELP me !!!!! I did get an appointment to go and see my PM doctor tomarrow instead of Monday , so I am hoping he is going to do somethng for this terrible pain . I will tell you guys , I don't know how much more of this I can take ........Laurie R

Beverly on 1/10/02 at 21:07 (069594)

I love magazines. I usually flip through it forwards.
Beverly

Anthony P on 1/10/02 at 21:30 (069600)

I read magazines forward to back , I guess I'm the odd one right handed too

Maureen S on 1/10/02 at 21:38 (069601)

Backwards to forwards!!
Thanks for asking
Maureen

Re: To Laurie

wendyn on 1/10/02 at 22:39 (069609)

HI Laurie - I am sorry you are having a bad pain night.

My feet are hot and sore too - but I know that my bad pain days do not compare to yours. And amputation with a dull butter knife sounds pretty good to me today...so I can't imagine you're agony.

Take it easy - and I hope tomorrow is a better day.

john h on 1/11/02 at 10:58 (069629)

Wendy: I have read several articles over the years about how many people read publications from back to front. It is not that unusual. Now if you start to read a novel like that I will question your sanity.

john h on 1/11/02 at 11:04 (069630)

Yes there are some very important philosophical articles in Playboy that will enlighten our souls. Now understand Mary does not allow this fine literature in our home but sitting up there in the cockpit of a DC6 flying a 12 hour flight to Europe you sort of run out of things to do over the North Atlantic. Fortunately for me there were always passengers who had this cultural literature with them. Of course you know the Editor is a lady.

nancy s. on 1/12/02 at 03:39 (069717)

oh for heaven's sake. used to be if you didn't read the board for two days you'd have about 100-150 posts to catch up on. now it's in the 400-500 range! there's no hope for me this time. but here's an easy one to answer.

i sometimes read magazines backwards and sometimes forwards. i'm ambidextrous in my reading of magazines. i'm left-handed.
nancy

JudyS on 1/12/02 at 19:12 (069806)

Lefty here, too. I look at them back-to-front when I'm disinterest or in a hurry because that's they way they 'flip' for a lefty. But when I want to sit down and luxuriously enjoy them, it's front to back, page by page.