Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is this PF?

Posted by Andrew C on 1/10/02 at 03:08 (069458)

The pain (mild to moderate) is in both feet but worse in the right where it started. It's located on the front of each heel at the base of the arch, worse on the inside but sometimes spreading across to the outside. I do also get some discomfort along the arch on my right foot but that's only if I've overdone things.

The pain in front of the heel is only noticeable when something presses on it and in fact I can usually walk barefoot and stand on carpeted surfaces without any discomfort.

I find that Aspirin is very effective in reducing the discomfort (it all but dissappears) but it also appears to help healing since it's affects can last beyond the normal three/four hour affect of Aspirin.

All in all my problem 'just' seems to be inflammation at the base of the arch and I never feel like I'm tearing anything. Is this PF?

Re: Is this PF?

Rick R on 1/10/02 at 07:02 (069462)

It sounds like you may be in the early stages of PF. The location of pain, right in front of the heel, somewhat toward the inside, is right on target for my PF. How are you after some exertion, and perhaps more telling, after a short rest folowing exertion? Symptoms can be quite idiosyncratic but I believe most PF sufferers will experience significant pain getting back on their feet following periods of rest. That first step in the morning can be the worst time of the day. I would suggest you read Scott's book and be careful. I think it's time to explore arch support, stretching, ice, and rest etc.. You hopefully will be able to avoid the kind of long term life altering experience so many of the posters here have gone through.

Good Lick,

Rick

Andrew C on 1/10/02 at 07:41 (069465)

My foot pain is actually fine in the morning. It gets worse throughout the day and this is true even though I spend most of the day sat in a chair.
I've had a slight setback this week but prior to this week I could walk for an hour or more without any significant pain or discomfort.

I'm currently exploring the possibility that wearing shoes is aggravating things by squashing my feet. I still put my shoes on to walk but it seems that sitting bare foot relieves the discomfort.

Ellen on 1/12/02 at 19:02 (069804)

Regarding the possibility that your shoes may be a problem, I had to write and say that I found that my shoes were a big problem for me, and definitely aggravated the condition. I had a favorite pair of boots with a 1 1/2 inch heel and whenever I wore the shoes my feet got progressively worse throughout the day. When I took those shoes off and changed to a flatter pair of shoes my feet were miraculously better starting the following day. Each time I tried to wear the boots the symptoms would get much worse that very day. So now I don't wear them at all (am saving them in case my feet recover) and only wear one pair of shoes in which my feet feel great. As a result of changing to very comforatble shoes and stretching gently several times a day, my feet are finally starting to recover. I also put soft, gentle arch supports in my shoes. I am an oddball because, unlike with alot of P.F. sufferers, I can't wear too much arch support or else it puts pressure on my arch and actually aggravates the condition. This bowing of the arch seems to be duplicated by wearing shoes that have a significant heel, as such shoes have a natural bend at the arch with seems to simulate too much arch support in an orthotic. Again, I am probably the exception to the rule, as most others seem to benefit from significant arch support and from heels. My recovery seems to be accelerated (finally, after 2 years of PF), now that I am stretching VERY GENTLY and only wearing that one pair of shoes, along with the discovery that I can't wear too much arch support. PF seems to be a matter (partly) of paying very very close attention to what you are doing and when your feet hurt in relation to what you are doing to find out what helps or hinders. Of course, seeing a good doctor can be key so don't take my advice--I'm just telling you what worked for me so far. I am not a doctor. Good luck!!! Ellen

Carole C on 1/12/02 at 21:21 (069820)

I'm glad your feet are feeling so much better, Ellen! I have one suggestion.... THROW THOSE BOOTS AWAY!!! (smile)

Carole C

Ellen on 1/13/02 at 20:20 (069914)

Carol,
I had to laugh when you told me to throw those boots away! I knew someone would 'get me' for that one! Ha.
I have this little fantasy going that if my feet totally recover, I might be able to wear them once a month or something. I will take your advice, however, and toss them.
The stretching seems to be helping alot as long as I don't stretch enough to cause that slight stinging/ripping sensation. I stretch gently (per instructions) about every 2 hours all day long. I just sit at my desk and when my sports watch beeps at the top of each hour, I gently do the foot and calf stretches, plus gentle hamstring stretches.
Thanks for your note!
Ellen

Rick R on 1/10/02 at 07:02 (069462)

It sounds like you may be in the early stages of PF. The location of pain, right in front of the heel, somewhat toward the inside, is right on target for my PF. How are you after some exertion, and perhaps more telling, after a short rest folowing exertion? Symptoms can be quite idiosyncratic but I believe most PF sufferers will experience significant pain getting back on their feet following periods of rest. That first step in the morning can be the worst time of the day. I would suggest you read Scott's book and be careful. I think it's time to explore arch support, stretching, ice, and rest etc.. You hopefully will be able to avoid the kind of long term life altering experience so many of the posters here have gone through.

Good Lick,

Rick

Andrew C on 1/10/02 at 07:41 (069465)

My foot pain is actually fine in the morning. It gets worse throughout the day and this is true even though I spend most of the day sat in a chair.
I've had a slight setback this week but prior to this week I could walk for an hour or more without any significant pain or discomfort.

I'm currently exploring the possibility that wearing shoes is aggravating things by squashing my feet. I still put my shoes on to walk but it seems that sitting bare foot relieves the discomfort.

Ellen on 1/12/02 at 19:02 (069804)

Regarding the possibility that your shoes may be a problem, I had to write and say that I found that my shoes were a big problem for me, and definitely aggravated the condition. I had a favorite pair of boots with a 1 1/2 inch heel and whenever I wore the shoes my feet got progressively worse throughout the day. When I took those shoes off and changed to a flatter pair of shoes my feet were miraculously better starting the following day. Each time I tried to wear the boots the symptoms would get much worse that very day. So now I don't wear them at all (am saving them in case my feet recover) and only wear one pair of shoes in which my feet feel great. As a result of changing to very comforatble shoes and stretching gently several times a day, my feet are finally starting to recover. I also put soft, gentle arch supports in my shoes. I am an oddball because, unlike with alot of P.F. sufferers, I can't wear too much arch support or else it puts pressure on my arch and actually aggravates the condition. This bowing of the arch seems to be duplicated by wearing shoes that have a significant heel, as such shoes have a natural bend at the arch with seems to simulate too much arch support in an orthotic. Again, I am probably the exception to the rule, as most others seem to benefit from significant arch support and from heels. My recovery seems to be accelerated (finally, after 2 years of PF), now that I am stretching VERY GENTLY and only wearing that one pair of shoes, along with the discovery that I can't wear too much arch support. PF seems to be a matter (partly) of paying very very close attention to what you are doing and when your feet hurt in relation to what you are doing to find out what helps or hinders. Of course, seeing a good doctor can be key so don't take my advice--I'm just telling you what worked for me so far. I am not a doctor. Good luck!!! Ellen

Carole C on 1/12/02 at 21:21 (069820)

I'm glad your feet are feeling so much better, Ellen! I have one suggestion.... THROW THOSE BOOTS AWAY!!! (smile)

Carole C

Ellen on 1/13/02 at 20:20 (069914)

Carol,
I had to laugh when you told me to throw those boots away! I knew someone would 'get me' for that one! Ha.
I have this little fantasy going that if my feet totally recover, I might be able to wear them once a month or something. I will take your advice, however, and toss them.
The stretching seems to be helping alot as long as I don't stretch enough to cause that slight stinging/ripping sensation. I stretch gently (per instructions) about every 2 hours all day long. I just sit at my desk and when my sports watch beeps at the top of each hour, I gently do the foot and calf stretches, plus gentle hamstring stretches.
Thanks for your note!
Ellen