Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To... BrianG, and anyone else in the same boat!

Posted by CatherineL on 1/10/02 at 09:16 (069477)

Hi Brian,

You mentioned on a past post, that we're in the same boat, as ESWT is one of the very few options I have left and it's an expensive plane ride away for me.

I've suffered for almost 2 years and cuz of my reasonable financial situation and healthcare plan at work, I've been able to receive all treatments possible, except EWST.

The only thing thats really helped much was laser therapy and it's only $7/visit, requiring about 7 visits to drop the pain in less than half - for me it's only been temporary relief, with the pain increasing a couple weeks out of treatment, definately recommend trying to find it in your area! I't about a 70min drive for me, and with a job to go to every day and a family, it's been difficult getting there, but it's well worth it.

I'm off to a reumatologist later this month, and back to my dr, and laser treatments as well. My dr., and the ortho surgeon tell me I'm 'a special case' - 'rare' 'most people get better with these treatments' and I have very little options left... walking boot, or ESWTtreatments.

I've also taken matters into my own hands, and am demanding my dr. fill in the handicap parking permit which he wasn't interested in doing last summer and I have called a local dr. who is performing new gound-breaking treatments on soft tissue, they freeze the area, and use needles to break-up scar tissue (youchy, youch, ahhhhh!, I barely survived the cortisone shot!!!).

When I emailed our local disability chapter, she indicated they have approved handicap parking permits for PF in the past, dependent on the drs. info, and since I can't take a step without pain, I'm going to demand my dr. finally fill-it out.

Brian, appling and fighting for SSD, may for you be the next step required, but in the meantime, please don't give-up on other options that may make your life more fufilling and the pain more bearable.

Without the treatments I've had over the last year or so, I would not have been able to work and live my life as I have. The treatments have gotten me here, and although, I don't know my PF future, I hope I can at least keep the pain controlled enough to be able to work part-time, go on vacation, and live an almost-productive life.

Catherine

Re: To... BrianG, and anyone else in the same boat!

BrianG on 1/10/02 at 12:05 (069515)

Hi CatherineL,

Thanks for the suggestions. Can you tell me a little more about the laser treatments? Who admisisters them, a doctor, hospital, clinic? I can still walk a bit, so I am not going to press for a handicapp permit at this time. And that last treatment you mentioned gave me the willies! Freezing and using needles to break up the scar tissue is definatly not on my 'to do' list. You are going to let someone do this procedure to your fascia, were it meets the bone? You could be on to something, but just thinking about it has sent my pain up another level. Please, let me know where to start investigating the laser treatments, I am interested in that one.

I'm not quite at the end of my rope with this pain deal, as I take daily pain meds. I am unable to work though, and will stlll seek out treatments that may cure me. Thanks again for thinking about me.

BCG

Carole C on 1/10/02 at 14:51 (069538)

Because of severe arthritis and other problems I've had a lifetime handicap permit issued to me from Texas in the early 1990's and another one from Louisiana issued to me in 2000. Both doctors were more than glad to issue me one and felt badly that they didn't think of it first. I limp pretty noticeably due to osteoarthritis but I am not confined to a wheelchair in normal day to day life. I probably would be if I didn't have and use the handicapped hangtag. When I walk a normal amount I get to where I can't walk at all. The hangtag keeps me moving. That's what they are for! Not just to help people confined to a wheelchair, but also to keep people mobile.

I understand about not wanting a handicap permit. To get one, you have to admit to yourself that you are handicapped. That is very hard to do, but it can be the best thing for a handicapped person to do... to admit the problem is real and start dealing with it.

I have a desk job and that has not been a problem for me. I park in the handicap spot, walk 20 feet into my building to the elevators, and then maybe 50 feet more to my desk. That's all the walking that I have to do. If or when I end up in a wheelchair, I could still do my job. A desk job might be worth thinking about especially since you can still walk enough that you don't want a handicap permit. You may not earn what you did, but you might earn enough to survive.

Carole C

CatherineL on 1/10/02 at 15:00 (069540)

Brian,
Laser therapy...

It is being done at the sports med center by the phisiotherapist, I understand others are trained in this as well, possibly even chiros? There are only a few in the city who I know of who do this treatment.

It's totally pain free, yu'just relax and the laser beam pulses over the area - you feel absolutely nothing!!! After the first treatment, there was improvement the next a.m., probably 10%, then after 2/wk for about 3-4wks, I'm about 70-80% painfree...

The needling treatment is trigger point injections... I think I;ll request to be knocked out for that, If I can go through with it...

Call around, and inquire about the laser therapy... there may be someone in your area...

Catherine

BrianG on 1/10/02 at 12:05 (069515)

Hi CatherineL,

Thanks for the suggestions. Can you tell me a little more about the laser treatments? Who admisisters them, a doctor, hospital, clinic? I can still walk a bit, so I am not going to press for a handicapp permit at this time. And that last treatment you mentioned gave me the willies! Freezing and using needles to break up the scar tissue is definatly not on my 'to do' list. You are going to let someone do this procedure to your fascia, were it meets the bone? You could be on to something, but just thinking about it has sent my pain up another level. Please, let me know where to start investigating the laser treatments, I am interested in that one.

I'm not quite at the end of my rope with this pain deal, as I take daily pain meds. I am unable to work though, and will stlll seek out treatments that may cure me. Thanks again for thinking about me.

BCG

Carole C on 1/10/02 at 14:51 (069538)

Because of severe arthritis and other problems I've had a lifetime handicap permit issued to me from Texas in the early 1990's and another one from Louisiana issued to me in 2000. Both doctors were more than glad to issue me one and felt badly that they didn't think of it first. I limp pretty noticeably due to osteoarthritis but I am not confined to a wheelchair in normal day to day life. I probably would be if I didn't have and use the handicapped hangtag. When I walk a normal amount I get to where I can't walk at all. The hangtag keeps me moving. That's what they are for! Not just to help people confined to a wheelchair, but also to keep people mobile.

I understand about not wanting a handicap permit. To get one, you have to admit to yourself that you are handicapped. That is very hard to do, but it can be the best thing for a handicapped person to do... to admit the problem is real and start dealing with it.

I have a desk job and that has not been a problem for me. I park in the handicap spot, walk 20 feet into my building to the elevators, and then maybe 50 feet more to my desk. That's all the walking that I have to do. If or when I end up in a wheelchair, I could still do my job. A desk job might be worth thinking about especially since you can still walk enough that you don't want a handicap permit. You may not earn what you did, but you might earn enough to survive.

Carole C

CatherineL on 1/10/02 at 15:00 (069540)

Brian,
Laser therapy...

It is being done at the sports med center by the phisiotherapist, I understand others are trained in this as well, possibly even chiros? There are only a few in the city who I know of who do this treatment.

It's totally pain free, yu'just relax and the laser beam pulses over the area - you feel absolutely nothing!!! After the first treatment, there was improvement the next a.m., probably 10%, then after 2/wk for about 3-4wks, I'm about 70-80% painfree...

The needling treatment is trigger point injections... I think I;ll request to be knocked out for that, If I can go through with it...

Call around, and inquire about the laser therapy... there may be someone in your area...

Catherine