Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My insurance company doesn't cover Celebrex or Vioxx, but-

Posted by Nicole K. on 1/10/02 at 14:01 (069530)

They do cover:
naproxin
piroxicam
sulindac
salsalate
diclofenac

Which of these should I ask my doctor to prescibe so I can maybe get the same effect? I have, according to my doctor, 'significant heel spurs and severe pf.' I didn't even know it was possible to have both, I thought it was one or the other. ?

Re: My insurance company doesn't cover Celebrex or Vioxx, but-

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/10/02 at 14:16 (069534)

I like motrin 800 bid with foot Very easy on the stomach and does work

Carole C on 1/10/02 at 16:12 (069561)

Although Celebrex seems to work like magic on my osteoarthritis, it doesn't really seem to do as much for my PF as other pain killers would (though it cannot be mixed with other pain killers so I haven't tried any). So don't feel bad!

My suggestion is that you try other pain killers and see which one works for you. Some are rough on the stomach, so that may be more of a deciding factor than how good they are at relieving your pain.

No, you can have significant heel spurs and severe PF, according to my doctor (I'm not a medical professional but I have both also). They are all part of the same process; at least that is the way my doctor explained it. He also said I have bursitis and tendonitis and more, all of which is part of this same syndrome. Usually the heel spurs do not require surgery or other treatment if you try the more conservative treatments for PF that we discuss on the board, like stretching, icing, rest, orthotics, and so on.

Carole C

PatC on 1/10/02 at 17:41 (069568)

There is no generic version for Celebrex or Vioxx yet. Insurance Companies, especially HMO's, want to prescribe the cheaper versions. My HMO prescribed Vioxx, but I have to pay a higher copay than normal.

Re: Dr Z

wendyn on 1/10/02 at 19:41 (069579)

Dr Z do you rub it on the foot?

Do you mix it with a little foot?

Pam B on 1/10/02 at 21:02 (069591)

I also have to pay the higher co pay for my meds cause they are name brands with no generic products to substitute with.....however, I also find that the celebrex does not do much for my PF or spurs......nothing for the TTS or tight calf muscles.......the only thing that helps is narcotics......presently I have just been changed to vicodin from darvocet.......the narcs are the only thing that help

PatC on 1/10/02 at 21:12 (069596)

I had to change the dosage of Vioxx three times before it helped me. The Dr. started me on the smallest dosage and then increased it until it helped.

Dr. Zuckeman on 1/10/02 at 21:26 (069599)

You eat it with food. Thanks for catching this poor key hitting

Re: I love typos - especially when they aren't mine (eom)

wendyn on 1/10/02 at 22:35 (069608)

:)

Nicole K. on 1/11/02 at 14:30 (069648)

At $2+ a pill do you think it's worth it for me to pay for this out of pocket? Has anyone gotten any PF relief from these or is it just more money wasted?

I just got a new scrip for Vicodin as well. Yes, the narcotics do help me forget about my pain, although it seems Vicodin sometimes keeps me up all night and sometimes makes me very itchy. Are these known side effects? Anyone else have this problem?

Re: motin 800 bid?

Nicole K. on 1/11/02 at 14:31 (069649)

Is this ibuprofen? Not a cox 2 thing that I seem to have read so much about?

Carole C on 1/11/02 at 19:31 (069687)

I do not notice much difference at all in my feet between taking 400 mg Celebrex and none at all. My arthritic knees sure notice, though! It's so strange how I can be suffering two kinds of pain, and yet Celebrex helps with one and not the other. My theory is that maybe it helps with pain due to inflammation more than it helps with regular pain. Personally I find Celebrex to be easier on my stomach with fewer side effects than something like Relafen.

My suggestion would be to 'work up to' these Cox-2 inhibitors by process of elimination. You could try some other, cheaper medications first. They might even work better. Then, if they don't work, or if they give you side effects, you can always try Celebrex or Vioxx.

I don't know anything about Vicodin causing itching. I have heard that it can keep you up all night. I just got a prescription for it from my dentist because I had a toothache yesterday. I won't get the prescription filled unless it gets bad over the weekend, though. So far, so good! He will fix my tooth next week.

Carole C

Richard, C.Ped on 1/12/02 at 11:44 (069744)

that is ibuprofen. The 'bid' means twice a day.
Richard

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/10/02 at 14:16 (069534)

I like motrin 800 bid with foot Very easy on the stomach and does work

Carole C on 1/10/02 at 16:12 (069561)

Although Celebrex seems to work like magic on my osteoarthritis, it doesn't really seem to do as much for my PF as other pain killers would (though it cannot be mixed with other pain killers so I haven't tried any). So don't feel bad!

My suggestion is that you try other pain killers and see which one works for you. Some are rough on the stomach, so that may be more of a deciding factor than how good they are at relieving your pain.

No, you can have significant heel spurs and severe PF, according to my doctor (I'm not a medical professional but I have both also). They are all part of the same process; at least that is the way my doctor explained it. He also said I have bursitis and tendonitis and more, all of which is part of this same syndrome. Usually the heel spurs do not require surgery or other treatment if you try the more conservative treatments for PF that we discuss on the board, like stretching, icing, rest, orthotics, and so on.

Carole C

PatC on 1/10/02 at 17:41 (069568)

There is no generic version for Celebrex or Vioxx yet. Insurance Companies, especially HMO's, want to prescribe the cheaper versions. My HMO prescribed Vioxx, but I have to pay a higher copay than normal.

wendyn on 1/10/02 at 19:41 (069579)

Dr Z do you rub it on the foot?

Do you mix it with a little foot?

Pam B on 1/10/02 at 21:02 (069591)

I also have to pay the higher co pay for my meds cause they are name brands with no generic products to substitute with.....however, I also find that the celebrex does not do much for my PF or spurs......nothing for the TTS or tight calf muscles.......the only thing that helps is narcotics......presently I have just been changed to vicodin from darvocet.......the narcs are the only thing that help

PatC on 1/10/02 at 21:12 (069596)

I had to change the dosage of Vioxx three times before it helped me. The Dr. started me on the smallest dosage and then increased it until it helped.

Dr. Zuckeman on 1/10/02 at 21:26 (069599)

You eat it with food. Thanks for catching this poor key hitting

Re: I love typos - especially when they aren't mine (eom)

wendyn on 1/10/02 at 22:35 (069608)

:)

Nicole K. on 1/11/02 at 14:30 (069648)

At $2+ a pill do you think it's worth it for me to pay for this out of pocket? Has anyone gotten any PF relief from these or is it just more money wasted?

I just got a new scrip for Vicodin as well. Yes, the narcotics do help me forget about my pain, although it seems Vicodin sometimes keeps me up all night and sometimes makes me very itchy. Are these known side effects? Anyone else have this problem?

Nicole K. on 1/11/02 at 14:31 (069649)

Is this ibuprofen? Not a cox 2 thing that I seem to have read so much about?

Carole C on 1/11/02 at 19:31 (069687)

I do not notice much difference at all in my feet between taking 400 mg Celebrex and none at all. My arthritic knees sure notice, though! It's so strange how I can be suffering two kinds of pain, and yet Celebrex helps with one and not the other. My theory is that maybe it helps with pain due to inflammation more than it helps with regular pain. Personally I find Celebrex to be easier on my stomach with fewer side effects than something like Relafen.

My suggestion would be to 'work up to' these Cox-2 inhibitors by process of elimination. You could try some other, cheaper medications first. They might even work better. Then, if they don't work, or if they give you side effects, you can always try Celebrex or Vioxx.

I don't know anything about Vicodin causing itching. I have heard that it can keep you up all night. I just got a prescription for it from my dentist because I had a toothache yesterday. I won't get the prescription filled unless it gets bad over the weekend, though. So far, so good! He will fix my tooth next week.

Carole C

Richard, C.Ped on 1/12/02 at 11:44 (069744)

that is ibuprofen. The 'bid' means twice a day.
Richard