Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question about Acidacal herbal remedy: WARNING

Posted by alan k on 1/11/02 at 09:04 (069623)

There was a great question on the doctors board, under 'herbal remedy' or something, and I have some info and opinion on the matter.

This product does have some potential benefits-- most particularly with regard to actual heel spurs: the actual calcified growth. Do a search or ask others here about the difference between heel spurs and pf. Basically, you can have pf without actual heel spurs. You can have heel spurs, even big ones, without having any pain or pf. This can be confusing so ask others to clear this up, and read the appropriate section in Scott's pf book.

If your x-rays show you have heelspurs along with your pf and footpain, this product is worth looking into and you can read on here, but do look at my warning.

This product works by aiding compromised digestive systems, which I think has VERY much to do with slow healing of both pf and tts. It would also help with the absorption of B-12, which is deficient in a surprising number of people. B-12 is found in meat. It is a very large molecule and difficult to absorb, and difficult to separate from the protein that carries it in meat. Stomach Acid does this job, as well as aid in the absorption of alkaline nutrients, like calcium and magnesium. This product is supposed to 'dissolve' spurs (dissolve is a misleading metaphor) by restoring the ph-balance of digestive fluids, thus aiding the absorption of calcium, magnesium, etc. which helps with osteoporosis and spurs of various kinds.

BUT one of the most powerful ingredients in acidacal is ammonium chloride
Ammomium choride used to be in cough medicine
but it was taken out due to its acidification the blood stream. It can lead to kidney stones or side-effects in diabetics such as acidosis. The product also contains freeze-dried kidney, I suspect to aid kidney function to mitigate this, but I doubt that it is enough in some cases. So it is win some, lose some proposition, and I would recommend seeing a doctor before using acidacal.

Nevertheless, acidifying the stomach can be very beneficial, especially in those over the age of 50 or those with digestive-absorption problems. It may indeed help with heel spurs. Anothere of acidacal's ingredients is Betaine Hydrochloride which is actually hydrochloric acid for the stomach. This is considered safer, and recommended by several prominent nutritionists. My suggestion?

Consult your doctor, and look at the ingredients in acidacal: you can buy the ingredients separately and just avoid the ammonium chloride, perhaps increasing the betaine hcl to compensate. This might indeed work wonders on heel spurs.

alan k

Here are the ingredients as listed on the bottle:

Calcium Chloride 96 mg
Calcium Phosphate 90 mg
Magnesium Glycerophosphate 51 mg
Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid/Rose Hips) 50 mg
Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCL) 25 mg
Other ingredients:
Betaine HCL 96 mg
Ammonium Chloride 96 mg
Raw Kidney Tissue 30 mg
Citrus Bioflavonoids 30 mg

Re: Question about Acidacal herbal remedy: WARNING

gayle h. on 1/14/02 at 19:06 (069995)

thank you Alan,your info on acidcal was very good, I was the one who posted the message. I am over 50, have been diagnosed, and xrayed-have seen my heel spurs!So, I think I am going to try it-thanks for taking the time to answer!!

Re: Question about Acidacal herbal remedy: WARNING

gayle h. on 1/14/02 at 19:06 (069995)

thank you Alan,your info on acidcal was very good, I was the one who posted the message. I am over 50, have been diagnosed, and xrayed-have seen my heel spurs!So, I think I am going to try it-thanks for taking the time to answer!!