Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

trigger point vs. prolotherapy injections

Posted by alan k on 1/11/02 at 11:47 (069634)

Saw a question about these two..

trigger point uses an anaesthetic in a strategic spot, lidocaine or similar, which disables the nuero-muscular blockage that usually shows up as pain in a different location. For instance, a shot in the shoulder underthe back crease of the armpit can disable pain in the forearm. That's because the pain is referred to the forearm but the problem originates in the back of the shoulder. Similarly, there are trigger points that produce pain in the heels and feet.

prolotherapy works directly on compromised ligaments. It injects small amounts of irritant into places where ligament connect to bone. The ligament then becomes inflamed and irritated, and the body responds by laying down more ligament. Thus it becomes stronger. There is no way to exercise a ligament to make it stronger, like with muscles, so prolotherapy (also called sclerotherapy) is used to firm things up.

Re: trigger point vs. prolotherapy injections

CatherineL on 1/11/02 at 14:07 (069644)

Alan,

Thanx for the info... I had not heard of these until recently and had no idea what the differenc was.

Thanx
Catherine

Re: Prolo, I had them !!

BrianG on 1/11/02 at 19:12 (069682)

Hi Alan,

I had 5 Prolo shots for my PF. The insurance picked up 80% of the office visit, and nothing for the injection. The office visit was $100, and the injection was $125 for each visit. As you can see, it can add up. I don't think my doctor was very compassionate, as he used very little lidocaine, and mostly the irritant (can't remember if it was the sugar or salt). He was also getting ready to try pumice. I do think it may work for some ligaments in the body, but haven't met anyone yet who had their PF helped. It was a pretty painful deal, both my heel, and my wallet !!! Good luck

BCG

PS Do you know of anyone who had their PF helped by Prolo?

alan k on 1/12/02 at 07:50 (069725)

Yeah, I wouldn't try prolo for feet problems personally. My philosophy was always not to aggravate pf and that includes sticking needles in it. Haven't heard of anyone saying it helped alot. There are a lot of treatments for pf and tts that work and people post positively on them.

I was going to try prolo for a spinal (cervical) injury, which doesn't really have many options except for surgery, which I am not going to try.

Glad to hear you are not worse for wear.

alan k

Re: Anyone had trigger point injections rather than prolotherapy

CatherineL on 1/14/02 at 08:15 (069950)

HI all,

well then for the next questions.

Anyone had trigger point injections rather than prolotherapy for their PF?

Thanx
Catherine

D.J. on 1/14/02 at 13:50 (069962)

I was given trigger point injections which my doctor called diagnostic blockage I believe. The point was to pinpoint the exact area of what is believed to be a rupture of a ligament. They can then continue to use prolotherapy injections once they have determined the location of the injury.

Re: trigger point vs. prolotherapy injections

CatherineL on 1/11/02 at 14:07 (069644)

Alan,

Thanx for the info... I had not heard of these until recently and had no idea what the differenc was.

Thanx
Catherine

BrianG on 1/11/02 at 19:12 (069682)

Hi Alan,

I had 5 Prolo shots for my PF. The insurance picked up 80% of the office visit, and nothing for the injection. The office visit was $100, and the injection was $125 for each visit. As you can see, it can add up. I don't think my doctor was very compassionate, as he used very little lidocaine, and mostly the irritant (can't remember if it was the sugar or salt). He was also getting ready to try pumice. I do think it may work for some ligaments in the body, but haven't met anyone yet who had their PF helped. It was a pretty painful deal, both my heel, and my wallet !!! Good luck

BCG

PS Do you know of anyone who had their PF helped by Prolo?

alan k on 1/12/02 at 07:50 (069725)

Yeah, I wouldn't try prolo for feet problems personally. My philosophy was always not to aggravate pf and that includes sticking needles in it. Haven't heard of anyone saying it helped alot. There are a lot of treatments for pf and tts that work and people post positively on them.

I was going to try prolo for a spinal (cervical) injury, which doesn't really have many options except for surgery, which I am not going to try.

Glad to hear you are not worse for wear.

alan k

CatherineL on 1/14/02 at 08:15 (069950)

HI all,

well then for the next questions.

Anyone had trigger point injections rather than prolotherapy for their PF?

Thanx
Catherine

D.J. on 1/14/02 at 13:50 (069962)

I was given trigger point injections which my doctor called diagnostic blockage I believe. The point was to pinpoint the exact area of what is believed to be a rupture of a ligament. They can then continue to use prolotherapy injections once they have determined the location of the injury.