Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS Surgery

Posted by suzanne d. on 1/11/02 at 14:39 (069651)

Anyone who has ever had TTS surgery...please give me some advice on the best route to recovery. I am 3 weeks post-op, and I feel as if I may never be normal. Am I walking too much? Please, any advice will do. After 4 years of chronic pain in both feet, I don't want to ruin my chances of recovery in the least. Thank you.

Re: TTS Surgery

Shane S on 1/11/02 at 15:10 (069657)

I am now 6 weeks post-op. I was on crutches for 4 weeks before I was given a walking boot. Now I am wearing tennis shoes and am walking fairly normal. I still have alot of stiffness in my ankle and achilles tendon. I can definately tell if I'm over doing it because my feet begin to ache. I don't know about you, but I have alot of heel pain associated w/ my TTS and I'm still in the recovery stage so I'm hoping my surgery was a success. I do have numbness in my foot now, hoping they didn't cut a nerve or something - but still hopeful for a full recovery. I too have chronic pain and hopefully someday soon we can both recover from this nasty condition!
Good Luck!

Re: wishing you the best...

Suzanne D on 1/11/02 at 15:17 (069658)

I don't have any experience with TTS surgery, but your name caught my eye as I guess mine will yours! :-)

I have PF and have great sympathy for ANYONE with ANY foot malady and pain! Best wishes to you! I just had to write since we have the same first name and last initial.

I'm from Kentucky. I was curious where you are from.

:-)

suzanne d. on 1/11/02 at 16:08 (069667)

I live in New York City. TTS in both feet and a ruined athletic lifestyle, but not ready to give up....not just yet. Glad to meet you. Nice name. I hope that your feet 'heel' up nicely!

Tammie on 1/11/02 at 18:08 (069677)

Hello, I read your message and seen inside it a scared and lonely feeling! You have time yet to hope for a total recovery. Take each day a little at a time!Thease types of surgeries can be long term healing, as I have been told over and over. Keep in touch with your dr. and tell him or her all, ask questions and do as recomended. As you know everyone is different and each heal at a different rate . Give yourself alot of time to recover and rest those feet, dont assume they are better because it has been 3 weeks as for feet u will soon learn that feet take there own good time on healing!!!! Good luck and continued hope and sucess! This is a wonderful place to find information and comfort thru that healing phase! Feel free to tell us more and there are always wonderful people here with suggestions .

cindyp on 1/11/02 at 19:16 (069684)

K here's the deal. i had a varicose vein tumor and tarsel tunnel surgery. 25 stitches. Got home and put foot up. Only go to bathroom. after 12 days had surgery removed (all the while on crutches) . Told to give up crutches when felt comfortable. that didn't come until 4 weeks (all the while staying off feet and putting them up) then went to cane. still was sore and stiff and a trip to wal-mart did me in for the day at 8 weeks swelling was down sufficiently so that i could put my birkenstocks back on. six months out i am still stiff some and have occasional pain. this is called recovery for a reason it takes time. the ankle will feel weak and squishy sometimes and then sometimes stiff. don't be in a hurry. i have some numbness but will trade that for constant stabbing burning electrical agony.

Carol C on 1/12/02 at 08:12 (069728)

I will be 8 Weeks post-op TTS on Monday. I think everyone is different as to recovery time---I walked on my foot the day of surgery---but it was a necessity. I also had carpal tunnel surgery on my hand at the same time and was unable to use crutches, so I have had to rely on a cane for support. Never have I been total NON-Weight Bearing on my surgical foot.
I have a tremendous decrease in the pre-surgical pain and electrical/nerve sensation/pain that I did have. I do still have numbness in portions of the foot--specifically, the big toe and the ball of the foot area that is
under the big toe. My surgeon feels that this may be a permanent situation in relation to the removal of a large cyst that was entwined in
the carpal tunnel causing my TTS. I can live with numbness much more so than I can the pre-op pain. I have found that in the mornings, I have less numbness and swelling, and as my activity level progresses during the
day, the foot swells and the numbness increases. I do have some ankle
stiffness---but I try to work on that with stretches. I go to bed each
night with an ice pack on my foot and that is a great help for the pain
and swelling. The only shoe that I wear COMFORTABLY is my LOOSELY LACED
NEW BALANCE 608 Tennis Shoes. (Bear in mind--my stitches came out and I am having to let my incision heal from the inside out, so I still have an open surgical incision---about one inch of it left to heal)
I think the key it to pay attention to YOUR body and it's signals. It will
tell you what it can and can not do and you can go from there. Good luck and I wish you the best.

suzanne d. on 1/29/02 at 10:22 (071779)

Hi Carol. Just wondering how your recovery is going. I'm now 6 weeks post-op. I have much stiffness, electrical sensation first thing in the morning when I step on my heel. I'm wondering if this is normal. How are you feeling now. I would like to gauge my recovery somewhat by what others are going through who are just a few weeks ahead of me. Are you doing yoga or any exercises yet?

Thank you for your time.

Shane S on 1/11/02 at 15:10 (069657)

I am now 6 weeks post-op. I was on crutches for 4 weeks before I was given a walking boot. Now I am wearing tennis shoes and am walking fairly normal. I still have alot of stiffness in my ankle and achilles tendon. I can definately tell if I'm over doing it because my feet begin to ache. I don't know about you, but I have alot of heel pain associated w/ my TTS and I'm still in the recovery stage so I'm hoping my surgery was a success. I do have numbness in my foot now, hoping they didn't cut a nerve or something - but still hopeful for a full recovery. I too have chronic pain and hopefully someday soon we can both recover from this nasty condition!
Good Luck!

Suzanne D on 1/11/02 at 15:17 (069658)

I don't have any experience with TTS surgery, but your name caught my eye as I guess mine will yours! :-)

I have PF and have great sympathy for ANYONE with ANY foot malady and pain! Best wishes to you! I just had to write since we have the same first name and last initial.

I'm from Kentucky. I was curious where you are from.

:-)

suzanne d. on 1/11/02 at 16:08 (069667)

I live in New York City. TTS in both feet and a ruined athletic lifestyle, but not ready to give up....not just yet. Glad to meet you. Nice name. I hope that your feet 'heel' up nicely!

Tammie on 1/11/02 at 18:08 (069677)

Hello, I read your message and seen inside it a scared and lonely feeling! You have time yet to hope for a total recovery. Take each day a little at a time!Thease types of surgeries can be long term healing, as I have been told over and over. Keep in touch with your dr. and tell him or her all, ask questions and do as recomended. As you know everyone is different and each heal at a different rate . Give yourself alot of time to recover and rest those feet, dont assume they are better because it has been 3 weeks as for feet u will soon learn that feet take there own good time on healing!!!! Good luck and continued hope and sucess! This is a wonderful place to find information and comfort thru that healing phase! Feel free to tell us more and there are always wonderful people here with suggestions .

cindyp on 1/11/02 at 19:16 (069684)

K here's the deal. i had a varicose vein tumor and tarsel tunnel surgery. 25 stitches. Got home and put foot up. Only go to bathroom. after 12 days had surgery removed (all the while on crutches) . Told to give up crutches when felt comfortable. that didn't come until 4 weeks (all the while staying off feet and putting them up) then went to cane. still was sore and stiff and a trip to wal-mart did me in for the day at 8 weeks swelling was down sufficiently so that i could put my birkenstocks back on. six months out i am still stiff some and have occasional pain. this is called recovery for a reason it takes time. the ankle will feel weak and squishy sometimes and then sometimes stiff. don't be in a hurry. i have some numbness but will trade that for constant stabbing burning electrical agony.

Carol C on 1/12/02 at 08:12 (069728)

I will be 8 Weeks post-op TTS on Monday. I think everyone is different as to recovery time---I walked on my foot the day of surgery---but it was a necessity. I also had carpal tunnel surgery on my hand at the same time and was unable to use crutches, so I have had to rely on a cane for support. Never have I been total NON-Weight Bearing on my surgical foot.
I have a tremendous decrease in the pre-surgical pain and electrical/nerve sensation/pain that I did have. I do still have numbness in portions of the foot--specifically, the big toe and the ball of the foot area that is
under the big toe. My surgeon feels that this may be a permanent situation in relation to the removal of a large cyst that was entwined in
the carpal tunnel causing my TTS. I can live with numbness much more so than I can the pre-op pain. I have found that in the mornings, I have less numbness and swelling, and as my activity level progresses during the
day, the foot swells and the numbness increases. I do have some ankle
stiffness---but I try to work on that with stretches. I go to bed each
night with an ice pack on my foot and that is a great help for the pain
and swelling. The only shoe that I wear COMFORTABLY is my LOOSELY LACED
NEW BALANCE 608 Tennis Shoes. (Bear in mind--my stitches came out and I am having to let my incision heal from the inside out, so I still have an open surgical incision---about one inch of it left to heal)
I think the key it to pay attention to YOUR body and it's signals. It will
tell you what it can and can not do and you can go from there. Good luck and I wish you the best.

suzanne d. on 1/29/02 at 10:22 (071779)

Hi Carol. Just wondering how your recovery is going. I'm now 6 weeks post-op. I have much stiffness, electrical sensation first thing in the morning when I step on my heel. I'm wondering if this is normal. How are you feeling now. I would like to gauge my recovery somewhat by what others are going through who are just a few weeks ahead of me. Are you doing yoga or any exercises yet?

Thank you for your time.