Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'm new here.... seeking advice

Posted by Natalie on 1/11/02 at 16:52 (069669)

People are telling me that I should get surgery. I've been suffering of heel spur on both of my heels for 18 months now. My doctor had confirmation from X-rays. I have tried cortisone injections. Didn't work for me. Vioxx, didn't work for me. Ice, didn't work. Stretching, no pain relief. In one a few words... nothing is working for me.

People are telling me that it makes no sense for me to walk on my feet with such pain for so long, and that I should consider surgery. I have lost 32 pounds so far in the hope that losing weight will cure my heels. maybe I should be losing more before I see any pain relief (I am 257 lbs right now). Inside of me, I have the feeling that by losing the weight I will be cured. Am I fooling myself????

I am afraid that surgery may cause harm or interfere with healthy tissues once the spur is removed. Thanks for your input!!!

P.S. I already had in the past that ESWT applied for kidney stones I had. Should I consider it again more than surgery for my heel spur?

Re: I'm new here.... seeking advice

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/11/02 at 19:40 (069689)

Natalie:
You stated that 'nothing' is working but you have listed very few treatments for plantar fasciitis. Take some time to read Scott's Heel Pain Book since he provides a comprehensive overview of available treatments. There are a lot more conservative treatments to consider before surgery.
Ed

BrianG on 1/12/02 at 13:13 (069746)

Hi Natalie,

I think most people here will tell you that surgery should be the last resort, especially for PF. There are many nerves in the foot that can be damaged, as well as things like infection, etc. I would try ESWT first myself. There are a few different machines available, at different costs, with insurance not always helping out. Are you willing to travel? Looks like you may have some research to do.

Another thing you didn't mention is work. If you are on your feet all day, on a hard surface, it will definatly affect your healing. Good luck

BCG

PS Don't forget to try taping, found in Scott's book.

BrianG on 1/12/02 at 13:14 (069750)

Hi Natalie,

I think most people here will tell you that surgery should be the last resort, especially for PF. There are many nerves in the foot that can be damaged, as well as things like infection, etc. I would try ESWT first myself. There are a few different machines available, at different costs, with insurance not always helping out. Are you willing to travel? Looks like you may have some research to do.

Another thing you didn't mention is work. If you are on your feet all day, on a hard surface, it will definatly affect your healing. Good luck

BCG

Re: Bad Deal !!!

BrianG on 1/12/02 at 13:18 (069754)

Gremlins !!!!

Al K DPM on 1/16/02 at 05:34 (070149)

Get as many objective opinions as possible. Sometimes, just losing 10 or 20 pounds can make all the difference. Just because you weight 250+, you don't have to loose 150lbs to get relief. I would get more opinions and see other doctors before you go under the knife.

Julie C on 1/17/02 at 17:54 (070314)

I'm only 20 pounds overweight and I still did not find relief. I've had the surgery now and am doing well. Its only been a month. Be careful though, everyone is different. I'd say do it at this point, what do you have to loose, if it does not work completely you'll still be in pain, and your used to that right? As long as you have a good Dr. you should be fine though. Loosing more weight would help, but as I said I'm not too much over and the pain is pain is pain.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/11/02 at 19:40 (069689)

Natalie:
You stated that 'nothing' is working but you have listed very few treatments for plantar fasciitis. Take some time to read Scott's Heel Pain Book since he provides a comprehensive overview of available treatments. There are a lot more conservative treatments to consider before surgery.
Ed

BrianG on 1/12/02 at 13:13 (069746)

Hi Natalie,

BCG

BrianG on 1/12/02 at 13:14 (069750)

Hi Natalie,

BCG

Re: Bad Deal !!!

BrianG on 1/12/02 at 13:18 (069754)

Gremlins !!!!

Al K DPM on 1/16/02 at 05:34 (070149)

Get as many objective opinions as possible. Sometimes, just losing 10 or 20 pounds can make all the difference. Just because you weight 250+, you don't have to loose 150lbs to get relief. I would get more opinions and see other doctors before you go under the knife.

Julie C on 1/17/02 at 17:54 (070314)

I'm only 20 pounds overweight and I still did not find relief. I've had the surgery now and am doing well. Its only been a month. Be careful though, everyone is different. I'd say do it at this point, what do you have to loose, if it does not work completely you'll still be in pain, and your used to that right? As long as you have a good Dr. you should be fine though. Loosing more weight would help, but as I said I'm not too much over and the pain is pain is pain.