Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

taping...What am I doing wrong?

Posted by Suzanne D on 1/12/02 at 16:17 (069773)

After reading more posts about taping 3 weeks or so ago, I wondered to myself why I hadn't tried that before. So I got some Johnson & Johnson Coach Tape (1 1/2 ') and tried the 2-strip method. I have been doing this for almost 2 weeks, and I do believe it helps! (I forgot Thursday morning to tape and my feet definitely felt worse that day.)

The problem is that I developed a little cut/abrasion type place on the bottom of my right foot (I assume from pressure from the tape or in pulling it off each night.) I put on a band-aid for a few days and thought it was about healed up, but it was worse last night after taking the tape off. This morning I noticed that I am getting a place like it on the bottom of my left foot. So today I did not tape.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I perhaps pulling the tape too tightly? The tension feels 'right' to me as I walk.

Is it the tape? I have read of John H.'s leuko tape which can be ordered, but I thought I would first try what I could find in the drug store to see if taping really helped me. Has anyone had good luck with any particular type of tape?

Thanks for any help you may be able to give me. :-)

Re: taping...What am I doing wrong?

Pauline on 1/13/02 at 12:53 (069866)

Susanne,
Your probably doing nothing wrong. It just tape and skin on a daily basis really don't like eachother. When I was taping contrary to what others were doing I used a very inexpensive sport tape purchased from Target. To this day I still keep some in the house.

While most others liked the stronger tapes, I liked this one because it provided the support I needed when pulled tight but it was not very sticky and therefore I had no problem using it daily and pulling against the skin. It's very inexpensive about $6 for 4 rolls. You might try it and see if is strong enough for the support you need. If it doesn't work out you have only spend $6 and it can be used for other things.

I used Scotts 2 strip cross method with reinforcement going across the bottom usually 3 strips. I would put it on with my foot arched and press it to the bottom until it stuck continue adding the other strips and then stand on it to secure the sticking power. It may or may not work, but I really liked it because it seemed gentle in the stick power.
Good Luck.

BrianG on 1/13/02 at 13:24 (069868)

I tape also, but not every day. If I'm just hanging out at my house for most of the day, I don't tape. If I'm going out for a longer amount of time, or tryng to push some snow, like today, I use the tape. Like Pauline said, try giving yourself a rest, maybe tape every other day if you can. I hate to say this, but listen to your feet :*)

If only they would listen to us !

BCG

PS There is a pre-spray that the Pod's use, maybe someone else can tell us about it.

Re: Thanks, Brian and Pauline!

Suzanne D on 1/13/02 at 16:22 (069878)

I appreciate both your replies. I was planning on a trip to Target tomorrow night, and I will look for tape like what you described. I will also try taping every other day, or when I'll be on my feet more often. It helped to get your advice! Thanks again.

John h on 1/13/02 at 18:06 (069888)

Sluzanne: I thougght I was the only one who might have that problem. I know I was stripping the tape off real fast which caused me to pull a littl piece of skin off just below the big toe. That little abbrasion can really sting.I think you have to be very careful as you slowly pull the tape off. I do not put the tape bace over the abbrasive point until it is totally healed. I have thought about and may put a band aid there and tape over the band aid. I have a can of tape removal spray which i have not used which you are supposed to spray under the tape as you start to remove it so as not to aggrevate the skin.

Re: So how long do you leave it on?

Carole C on 1/13/02 at 18:22 (069894)

This afternoon while waiting for my prescriptions to get filled I found and bought some tape. It was right next to the Ace bandages and it's Nexcare gentle paper first aid tape, breathable with micropores and hypoallergenic (I'm reading this stuff off the label). It's 1 inch across. I wonder if paper tape would just tear. I guess I can try it.

How long do you leave it on? Days, or overnight, or what? I am hesitant to interfere with my orthotics during the day, but was thinking maybe in the evening with my Birkenstocks, and/or maybe when I'm asleep, it might help. I really don't quite get the idea, truthfully, except that over and over I've seen people on this board with the symptoms closest to mine having great success with taping. I read the part about taping in the heelspurs book and saw the pictures, and I can copy those taping patterns. My orthotics are still healing me so I might just keep this for when I need to try something new, I don't know.

When I asked my pedorthist about taping, she said that was for people that were finding out that they needed orthotics, not for me because I have them, so that is why I was thinking maybe it might help when I don't have them on. (?) I guess this was not the most well thought out plan, but here I am with this roll of tape. Comments are welcome. LOL

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/13/02 at 19:06 (069901)

Thanks, John! I'm sorry you have had the same trouble but glad to hear from you and glad to know it was not something I was doing wrong. Yesterday and today I did not tape and used band-aids. Perhaps I will put the tape on tomorrow before I go to school over the band-aids, as you said. I think I will also look for the tape removal spray as well.

Thanks again. :-)

Suzanne D on 1/13/02 at 19:12 (069902)

Carole, what I understand is that the tape helps the fascia to 'rest' - not to stretch as much as it would without the tape - and therefore aid in healing. When I tape and use the Birkenstock inserts, my feet feel the best.

I have been taping in the morning when I get dressed and taking it off in the evening before I go to bed. I left the tape on one night, and my feet felt more irritated the next day when I applied the tape, so I figured I would let my feet rest from the tape during the night.

I don't know about the paper tape; I wonder if it will just tear when you put some stress on it and if you will be able to put enough tension in it. But I hope it works for you! :-)

monte on 1/13/02 at 20:44 (069918)

I use paper tape that I bought in bulk on-line. I actually use either
1 1/2 or 2 inch strips. I find that the 2 inch covers the whole fascia area with on strip (from ball to heel) then I add another peice iver it to make a little stronger. Sometimes I may add 2 more strips across the arch and heel. Feels better than without. I too have othotics that control my over pronation. They are semi rigid made of all leather and cork. They feel comfortable. Whis I could show them here. My sport doctor told me not to tape because he wants me to use the facia to get it flexible...but I am doing what feels best for me and gets me through the day. The paper tape does not irritate my skin.

Carole C on 1/13/02 at 23:28 (069937)

Oh, I think I get it now. Probably the tape would help me the most, when I am wearing my Birkenstocks in the evenings since their arch is not quite high enough for me and it would help my fascia to not overstretch. I don't really feel that they overstretch with my custom orthotics (though I'll think about it as I wear them for a while).

The reason I was thinking about taping at night, is that nothing is keeping my fascia from overstretching then. I'm not actually walking on my feet while I sleep, but I sometimes find myself using them in surprisingly active and PF stretching ways as I scoot myself around the bed while sleeping.

I wondered that too about the paper tape, but didn't see other kinds at that drugstore. I figure if the paper tape doesn't work, then instead I can save it to hold large cloth bandages on if I ever happen to need them in case of an accident. One of these days I ought to assemble a real first aid kit with this type of stuff anyway.

Carole C

Carole C on 1/13/02 at 23:32 (069938)

Thanks, Monte! Maybe that's why my pedorthist also was not too enthusiastic about me taping.

So far I can get through the day, though I am intentionally limiting my activities and not pushing it. However, I know how PF has a way of getting better and worse and better and worse, so I may feel more of a need to tape sometime on down the road.

CArole C

Rick R on 1/14/02 at 08:21 (069951)

Suzanne,

I have been taping to treat PF for about 15 years. I used to tape every day but now only prior to exertion. My first suggestion is to use a gauze so the tape adhesive does not touch your skin. If you tape tightly you may still mess up the skin at certian pressure points. I tape around the arch area quite tightly, this may not be the case for you. I don't recall what they call it but the yellow pre-wrap is sold in the same area you wll find athletic tape. I use paper towels for gauze, not great but cheap!

You may want to try bag balm. This is used to toughen up cow udders and worked well for me as I got my skin used to the pressure. You can find it at feed stores. I believe a degree of skin discomfort may just be the price needed to obtain the benefits of taping.

Good Luck!

Rick

Suzanne D on 1/14/02 at 14:31 (069964)

Thanks, Monte, for sharing tha!. I think I will give the paper tape a try. I appreciate your input.

Suzanne D on 1/14/02 at 14:39 (069965)

Fiftenn years...wow! I am glad that the taping helps you and that you have improved so that you don't have to tape every day. I appreciate your sharing about the gauze; I hadn't thought of that and intend to try it!

I have heard of bag balm; my grandparents had dairy cows on their farm. I would never have thought of using that, though. Thanks for writing!

John h on 1/14/02 at 16:05 (069972)

Pauline. The two strip method I use I do not cross the tape but run them parallel with each other on each side of the foot just about 1/2' up the back of the heel. I do no imagine there is a perfect way to tape as I am not sure if anyone truly knows why taping may help some people. I do know that when I ran the tape to far up the back of my heel it restricted the achilles tendon and created a little pain in that area until I lowered the tape. I like the leuko tape mainly because it comes off easy with little residue and has a little stretch to it. you are correct it is not cheap.

John h on 1/14/02 at 16:06 (069973)

today i taped over the band aid suzanne and no problem. i think the little spot will heal in a few weeks and i will be more careful when removing the tape.

John h on 1/14/02 at 16:07 (069974)

Carole: I use the tape with my orthotics. Put it on in the morning and take it off when I shower at night.

Carole C on 1/14/02 at 19:29 (069998)

Thanks, John. As I recall taping has been very helpful for you in particular so this must be a good way to do it.

Carole C

Julie on 1/15/02 at 15:50 (070052)

Suzanne, if the tension feels right when you're walking, it is right: you'd know immediately if it was too tight because it would hurt, and if it wasn't tight enough it wouldn't be helping you. You do have to be awfully careful when you remove it, and peel it back slowly. I never had any problems with it, but when I once had a raw spot (not from the tape) on the bottom of my foot I protected it till it healed with a bandaid UNDER the tape. That worked nicely.

I was given Leuko tape by my podiatrist and used it for months, every day. It's very good, I think, because it holds its tension, whereas cheaper tapes tend to stretch a bit as the day wears on. I would think that in your shoes (! I mean your job!) you could do worse than to try it.

Carole, I know it's received wisdom that tape is for determining whether or not you need orthotics (and it's true that if tape helps it indicates that you're a good candidate for them) but I used tape and orthotics and found the combination more helpful than orthotics alone. It really is important to take the tape off every night so that the skin can rest: keeping it on can weaken the skin, especially if it gets wet.

Julie on 1/15/02 at 16:04 (070055)

Suzanne, if the tension feels right when you're walking, it is right: you'd know immediately if it was too tight because it would hurt, and if it wasn't tight enough it wouldn't be helping you. You do have to be awfully careful when you remove it, and peel it back slowly. I never had any problems with it, but when I once had a raw spot (not from the tape) on the bottom of my foot I protected it till it healed with a bandaid UNDER the tape. That worked nicely.

I was given Leuko tape by my podiatrist and used it for months, every day. It's very good, I think, because it holds its tension, whereas cheaper tapes tend to stretch a bit as the day wears on. I would think that in your shoes (! I mean your job!) you could do worse than to try it.

Carole, I know it's received wisdom that tape is for determining whether or not you need orthotics (and it's true that if tape helps it indicates that you're a good candidate for them) but I used tape and orthotics and found the combination more helpful than orthotics alone. It really is important to take the tape off every night so that the skin can rest: keeping it on can weaken the skin, especially if it gets wet.

Carole C on 1/15/02 at 22:11 (070117)

Thanks, Julie, and welcome back! We missed you and the great information we get from you, obviously. I hope you enjoyed your trip to India.

It seems like several of the most well regarded posters here feel it's ok to try tape with orthotics. That's very helpful information!

Carole C

Pauline on 1/13/02 at 12:53 (069866)

Susanne,
Your probably doing nothing wrong. It just tape and skin on a daily basis really don't like eachother. When I was taping contrary to what others were doing I used a very inexpensive sport tape purchased from Target. To this day I still keep some in the house.

While most others liked the stronger tapes, I liked this one because it provided the support I needed when pulled tight but it was not very sticky and therefore I had no problem using it daily and pulling against the skin. It's very inexpensive about $6 for 4 rolls. You might try it and see if is strong enough for the support you need. If it doesn't work out you have only spend $6 and it can be used for other things.

I used Scotts 2 strip cross method with reinforcement going across the bottom usually 3 strips. I would put it on with my foot arched and press it to the bottom until it stuck continue adding the other strips and then stand on it to secure the sticking power. It may or may not work, but I really liked it because it seemed gentle in the stick power.
Good Luck.

BrianG on 1/13/02 at 13:24 (069868)

I tape also, but not every day. If I'm just hanging out at my house for most of the day, I don't tape. If I'm going out for a longer amount of time, or tryng to push some snow, like today, I use the tape. Like Pauline said, try giving yourself a rest, maybe tape every other day if you can. I hate to say this, but listen to your feet :*)

If only they would listen to us !

BCG

PS There is a pre-spray that the Pod's use, maybe someone else can tell us about it.

Re: Thanks, Brian and Pauline!

Suzanne D on 1/13/02 at 16:22 (069878)

I appreciate both your replies. I was planning on a trip to Target tomorrow night, and I will look for tape like what you described. I will also try taping every other day, or when I'll be on my feet more often. It helped to get your advice! Thanks again.

John h on 1/13/02 at 18:06 (069888)

Sluzanne: I thougght I was the only one who might have that problem. I know I was stripping the tape off real fast which caused me to pull a littl piece of skin off just below the big toe. That little abbrasion can really sting.I think you have to be very careful as you slowly pull the tape off. I do not put the tape bace over the abbrasive point until it is totally healed. I have thought about and may put a band aid there and tape over the band aid. I have a can of tape removal spray which i have not used which you are supposed to spray under the tape as you start to remove it so as not to aggrevate the skin.

Carole C on 1/13/02 at 18:22 (069894)

This afternoon while waiting for my prescriptions to get filled I found and bought some tape. It was right next to the Ace bandages and it's Nexcare gentle paper first aid tape, breathable with micropores and hypoallergenic (I'm reading this stuff off the label). It's 1 inch across. I wonder if paper tape would just tear. I guess I can try it.

How long do you leave it on? Days, or overnight, or what? I am hesitant to interfere with my orthotics during the day, but was thinking maybe in the evening with my Birkenstocks, and/or maybe when I'm asleep, it might help. I really don't quite get the idea, truthfully, except that over and over I've seen people on this board with the symptoms closest to mine having great success with taping. I read the part about taping in the heelspurs book and saw the pictures, and I can copy those taping patterns. My orthotics are still healing me so I might just keep this for when I need to try something new, I don't know.

When I asked my pedorthist about taping, she said that was for people that were finding out that they needed orthotics, not for me because I have them, so that is why I was thinking maybe it might help when I don't have them on. (?) I guess this was not the most well thought out plan, but here I am with this roll of tape. Comments are welcome. LOL

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/13/02 at 19:06 (069901)

Thanks, John! I'm sorry you have had the same trouble but glad to hear from you and glad to know it was not something I was doing wrong. Yesterday and today I did not tape and used band-aids. Perhaps I will put the tape on tomorrow before I go to school over the band-aids, as you said. I think I will also look for the tape removal spray as well.

Thanks again. :-)

Suzanne D on 1/13/02 at 19:12 (069902)

Carole, what I understand is that the tape helps the fascia to 'rest' - not to stretch as much as it would without the tape - and therefore aid in healing. When I tape and use the Birkenstock inserts, my feet feel the best.

I have been taping in the morning when I get dressed and taking it off in the evening before I go to bed. I left the tape on one night, and my feet felt more irritated the next day when I applied the tape, so I figured I would let my feet rest from the tape during the night.

I don't know about the paper tape; I wonder if it will just tear when you put some stress on it and if you will be able to put enough tension in it. But I hope it works for you! :-)

monte on 1/13/02 at 20:44 (069918)

I use paper tape that I bought in bulk on-line. I actually use either
1 1/2 or 2 inch strips. I find that the 2 inch covers the whole fascia area with on strip (from ball to heel) then I add another peice iver it to make a little stronger. Sometimes I may add 2 more strips across the arch and heel. Feels better than without. I too have othotics that control my over pronation. They are semi rigid made of all leather and cork. They feel comfortable. Whis I could show them here. My sport doctor told me not to tape because he wants me to use the facia to get it flexible...but I am doing what feels best for me and gets me through the day. The paper tape does not irritate my skin.

Carole C on 1/13/02 at 23:28 (069937)

Oh, I think I get it now. Probably the tape would help me the most, when I am wearing my Birkenstocks in the evenings since their arch is not quite high enough for me and it would help my fascia to not overstretch. I don't really feel that they overstretch with my custom orthotics (though I'll think about it as I wear them for a while).

The reason I was thinking about taping at night, is that nothing is keeping my fascia from overstretching then. I'm not actually walking on my feet while I sleep, but I sometimes find myself using them in surprisingly active and PF stretching ways as I scoot myself around the bed while sleeping.

I wondered that too about the paper tape, but didn't see other kinds at that drugstore. I figure if the paper tape doesn't work, then instead I can save it to hold large cloth bandages on if I ever happen to need them in case of an accident. One of these days I ought to assemble a real first aid kit with this type of stuff anyway.

Carole C

Carole C on 1/13/02 at 23:32 (069938)

Thanks, Monte! Maybe that's why my pedorthist also was not too enthusiastic about me taping.

So far I can get through the day, though I am intentionally limiting my activities and not pushing it. However, I know how PF has a way of getting better and worse and better and worse, so I may feel more of a need to tape sometime on down the road.

CArole C

Rick R on 1/14/02 at 08:21 (069951)

Suzanne,

I have been taping to treat PF for about 15 years. I used to tape every day but now only prior to exertion. My first suggestion is to use a gauze so the tape adhesive does not touch your skin. If you tape tightly you may still mess up the skin at certian pressure points. I tape around the arch area quite tightly, this may not be the case for you. I don't recall what they call it but the yellow pre-wrap is sold in the same area you wll find athletic tape. I use paper towels for gauze, not great but cheap!

You may want to try bag balm. This is used to toughen up cow udders and worked well for me as I got my skin used to the pressure. You can find it at feed stores. I believe a degree of skin discomfort may just be the price needed to obtain the benefits of taping.

Good Luck!

Rick

Suzanne D on 1/14/02 at 14:31 (069964)

Thanks, Monte, for sharing tha!. I think I will give the paper tape a try. I appreciate your input.

Suzanne D on 1/14/02 at 14:39 (069965)

Fiftenn years...wow! I am glad that the taping helps you and that you have improved so that you don't have to tape every day. I appreciate your sharing about the gauze; I hadn't thought of that and intend to try it!

I have heard of bag balm; my grandparents had dairy cows on their farm. I would never have thought of using that, though. Thanks for writing!

John h on 1/14/02 at 16:05 (069972)

Pauline. The two strip method I use I do not cross the tape but run them parallel with each other on each side of the foot just about 1/2' up the back of the heel. I do no imagine there is a perfect way to tape as I am not sure if anyone truly knows why taping may help some people. I do know that when I ran the tape to far up the back of my heel it restricted the achilles tendon and created a little pain in that area until I lowered the tape. I like the leuko tape mainly because it comes off easy with little residue and has a little stretch to it. you are correct it is not cheap.

John h on 1/14/02 at 16:06 (069973)

today i taped over the band aid suzanne and no problem. i think the little spot will heal in a few weeks and i will be more careful when removing the tape.

John h on 1/14/02 at 16:07 (069974)

Carole: I use the tape with my orthotics. Put it on in the morning and take it off when I shower at night.

Carole C on 1/14/02 at 19:29 (069998)

Thanks, John. As I recall taping has been very helpful for you in particular so this must be a good way to do it.

Carole C

Julie on 1/15/02 at 15:50 (070052)

Julie on 1/15/02 at 16:04 (070055)

Carole C on 1/15/02 at 22:11 (070117)

Thanks, Julie, and welcome back! We missed you and the great information we get from you, obviously. I hope you enjoyed your trip to India.

It seems like several of the most well regarded posters here feel it's ok to try tape with orthotics. That's very helpful information!

Carole C