Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

anyone wear a walking cast post-EPF?

Posted by elliott on 1/12/02 at 23:41 (069841)

If not, maybe you should.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10833873&dopt=Abstract

---

Re: anyone wear a walking cast post-EPF?

BrianG on 1/13/02 at 11:24 (069858)

Hi Elliott,

I'm with you on this one. After my failed EPF surgery, my Pod urged me to become wight bearing, with just the surgical shoe, asap. He had an aggressive schedule, that had me walking from day 2. It was before I was aware of this forum. I'm sure I would have done things differently if I had been reading here at the time.

BCG

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/14/02 at 16:15 (069977)

I believe that most patients need a cast after plantar fascial release surgery. It is even more true with overweight patients or those who desire a high level of activity in the post operative period.

Lack of casting can increase the chance of lateral column pain (cuboid syndrome) and gives the foot little time to adjust to the change in biomechanics caused by the release.
Ed

Julie C on 1/17/02 at 17:49 (070313)

I wore a post op boot type thing for the first two weeks, it just would not have been an option to have the foot out of it.

BrianG on 1/13/02 at 11:24 (069858)

Hi Elliott,

I'm with you on this one. After my failed EPF surgery, my Pod urged me to become wight bearing, with just the surgical shoe, asap. He had an aggressive schedule, that had me walking from day 2. It was before I was aware of this forum. I'm sure I would have done things differently if I had been reading here at the time.

BCG

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/14/02 at 16:15 (069977)

I believe that most patients need a cast after plantar fascial release surgery. It is even more true with overweight patients or those who desire a high level of activity in the post operative period.

Lack of casting can increase the chance of lateral column pain (cuboid syndrome) and gives the foot little time to adjust to the change in biomechanics caused by the release.
Ed

Julie C on 1/17/02 at 17:49 (070313)

I wore a post op boot type thing for the first two weeks, it just would not have been an option to have the foot out of it.