Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Scott/Rick R./Taping Experiments

Posted by adam p on 1/13/02 at 12:52 (069865)

Has anyone taped, running--say--a 1 to 1 1/2 inch wide piece of tape starting around the bottom of the belly of the calf muscles, going under the foot, around the ('silhouette of the) big toe, in a continuous strip back up to the shin, spanning or bridging the arch, perhaps?

AP

Re: Scott/Rick R./Taping Experiments

Rick R on 1/15/02 at 07:28 (070012)

Adam,

I'm not sure I get the total picture of what you are describing, but the concept of bridging the arch sounds like Scott's method. I tried his method, but after I was taping only for more aggressive activity. I believe had tried his method when I taped to just walk every day, it may have worked.

After placing a 'gauze' I start taping under the arch, go around the ankle for an anchor (not too tight around the ankle), and then three times tightly around the arch as close to the heel as you can get. I also use orthotics to support the taped arch. For running, I use an ace bandage and wrap a rubber arch support in place after taping. It's a lot of work but makes all the difference in the world for me.

I have a friend that developed PF and cleared it up with my taping method. Of course I got him to do the right stretches so it isn't possible to be sure which variable influenced the results. He did skip taping one day and paid for it so I do suspect it made a difference for him.

Good Luck

Rick

adam p on 1/16/02 at 23:53 (070234)

The idea is 'more of a good thing' and also 'help the foot
be a straight/strong lever for pushing-off/propulsion'.
Judging by your success applying a lot of tape and also the
way I can feel a lot of support by just applying a small
amount of tape, there may be something to be said for tape
acting like exoskeleton.

AP

Rick R on 1/15/02 at 07:28 (070012)

Adam,

I'm not sure I get the total picture of what you are describing, but the concept of bridging the arch sounds like Scott's method. I tried his method, but after I was taping only for more aggressive activity. I believe had tried his method when I taped to just walk every day, it may have worked.

After placing a 'gauze' I start taping under the arch, go around the ankle for an anchor (not too tight around the ankle), and then three times tightly around the arch as close to the heel as you can get. I also use orthotics to support the taped arch. For running, I use an ace bandage and wrap a rubber arch support in place after taping. It's a lot of work but makes all the difference in the world for me.

I have a friend that developed PF and cleared it up with my taping method. Of course I got him to do the right stretches so it isn't possible to be sure which variable influenced the results. He did skip taping one day and paid for it so I do suspect it made a difference for him.

Good Luck

Rick

adam p on 1/16/02 at 23:53 (070234)

The idea is 'more of a good thing' and also 'help the foot
be a straight/strong lever for pushing-off/propulsion'.
Judging by your success applying a lot of tape and also the
way I can feel a lot of support by just applying a small
amount of tape, there may be something to be said for tape
acting like exoskeleton.

AP