Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Acupuncture

Posted by Sage R. on 1/13/02 at 17:48 (069884)

people keep telling me to try acupuncture. no matter how many testimonials i hear & how much i read about it, i am still extremely skeptical of this most likely because i don't understand how it works (i dont know what they mean by flow of energy...actual blood sugars?? electrical?) have any of you tried this?

Re: Has anybody here tried Acupuncture?

Carole C on 1/13/02 at 18:07 (069889)

I'm pretty skeptical about it too, mainly because I'm older and when I grew up Western medicine was IT... all that was available. I don't know but I suspect that the 'flow of energy' is not something that can be adequately described by Western science or medicine like you are trying to do. On the other hand, I've found that when all other avenues have been explored, I'm willing to try something like this (especially when pain is involved! I'm such a weenie). From what I've read I tend to think it won't do any harm.

I haven't tried acupuncture, and with any luck my PF pain won't be getting so bad as to motivate me to do it. I'm getting better. But if I had tried everything else and was getting nowhere, you bet I'd try it!

Carole C

Re: Acupuncture

Janet C on 1/13/02 at 20:29 (069916)

Hi Sage,

I think there have been many people on this forum who have tried acupuncture, and you'll probably find lots of discussions on the topic, if you run a Search on it.

I tried it, as an open-minded skeptic. I have tried ALMOST anything and everything to attempt to manage my pain! I had three treatments, done by a trained, licensed Acupuncturist, who was referred by my Pain Management Physician. The needles didn't bother me much at the time, they're so small, you can barely feel them. Once the needles were in, she would turn off the lights and shut the door, and I'd lay there and meditate for a half hour.

But I was actually surprised by the results... each time, it made me feel like my energy had been drained... and when I went home, I had to take a nap. I didn't like the feeling, and it didn't seem to help lower my pain, so I discontinued the treatments.

However, I've heard of others who have gotten very good results from it. It might be worth a try.

Wishing you all the best ~
Janet

Nicole K. on 1/14/02 at 12:35 (069960)

Yes, I tried acupuncture as well and had no luck. :(

John h on 1/14/02 at 16:00 (069971)

Carole: there is anything I would not try or have not tried for PF. Accupuncture with needles between the toes is not my cup of tea. I had about 5 treatments. I wonder if anyone has tried fire walking across hot coals.

Nancy N on 1/14/02 at 18:33 (069991)

I had several treatments about a year and a half ago. The results were really quite interesting--I felt completely healed after the first treatment, for the first day. Went back two days later, feeling slightly worse, and was never as good again. So I am not sure what happened, but it's worth a try. I believe Clara in Sweden has had very good results.

It's my (quite possibly flawed) understanding that there are big differences between Traditional Chinese Medicine acupuncture and 'medical' acupuncture. I had the TCM, no idea what difference it makes, if any, but I have been led to believe that there is one.

Carole C on 1/14/02 at 19:26 (069997)

LOL! John, believe me I understand where you're coming from on this one!

Carole C

Re: barefoot over hot coals? I'll bet Carmen has already tried it :-)

elliott on 1/14/02 at 22:53 (070004)

and I'll bet it worked. :-)

john h on 1/15/02 at 09:49 (070027)

If Carmen has not I bet Julie has.

Julie on 1/15/02 at 15:33 (070050)

Nope. EOM.

Carmen on 1/15/02 at 16:38 (070064)

Elliott you are mean!!! I have only done ONE alternative thing and that is NST. So quit being mean to me!!!!!!
:-)
and NO I haven't tried it! (but i would)

Re: How expensive is it?

Kathy on 1/15/02 at 16:40 (070065)

How expensive is it... let's say per session?

elliott on 1/15/02 at 22:33 (070124)

Jokes aside, I really admire your positive attitude, which can really help in the healing process. I almost think you could walk barefoot on hot coals and it really would help. Hard for me right now, as I'm having lots of really serious trouble (feet even more than back). Kinda losing faith a bit that I'll ever heal. The end of this story is I'll try NST, get all fixed up, and then graciously eat crow.

---

Carmen on 1/16/02 at 07:15 (070155)

Yeah for Elliott! I will come with you if you want...you know moral support. ;-)
I HATE that you are feeling so bad lately and whether you like it or not I am sticking you in my prayers tonight along with my dear friend Laurie.

Carole C on 1/13/02 at 18:07 (069889)

I'm pretty skeptical about it too, mainly because I'm older and when I grew up Western medicine was IT... all that was available. I don't know but I suspect that the 'flow of energy' is not something that can be adequately described by Western science or medicine like you are trying to do. On the other hand, I've found that when all other avenues have been explored, I'm willing to try something like this (especially when pain is involved! I'm such a weenie). From what I've read I tend to think it won't do any harm.

I haven't tried acupuncture, and with any luck my PF pain won't be getting so bad as to motivate me to do it. I'm getting better. But if I had tried everything else and was getting nowhere, you bet I'd try it!

Carole C

Janet C on 1/13/02 at 20:29 (069916)

Hi Sage,

I think there have been many people on this forum who have tried acupuncture, and you'll probably find lots of discussions on the topic, if you run a Search on it.

I tried it, as an open-minded skeptic. I have tried ALMOST anything and everything to attempt to manage my pain! I had three treatments, done by a trained, licensed Acupuncturist, who was referred by my Pain Management Physician. The needles didn't bother me much at the time, they're so small, you can barely feel them. Once the needles were in, she would turn off the lights and shut the door, and I'd lay there and meditate for a half hour.

But I was actually surprised by the results... each time, it made me feel like my energy had been drained... and when I went home, I had to take a nap. I didn't like the feeling, and it didn't seem to help lower my pain, so I discontinued the treatments.

However, I've heard of others who have gotten very good results from it. It might be worth a try.

Wishing you all the best ~
Janet

Nicole K. on 1/14/02 at 12:35 (069960)

Yes, I tried acupuncture as well and had no luck. :(

John h on 1/14/02 at 16:00 (069971)

Carole: there is anything I would not try or have not tried for PF. Accupuncture with needles between the toes is not my cup of tea. I had about 5 treatments. I wonder if anyone has tried fire walking across hot coals.

Nancy N on 1/14/02 at 18:33 (069991)

I had several treatments about a year and a half ago. The results were really quite interesting--I felt completely healed after the first treatment, for the first day. Went back two days later, feeling slightly worse, and was never as good again. So I am not sure what happened, but it's worth a try. I believe Clara in Sweden has had very good results.

It's my (quite possibly flawed) understanding that there are big differences between Traditional Chinese Medicine acupuncture and 'medical' acupuncture. I had the TCM, no idea what difference it makes, if any, but I have been led to believe that there is one.

Carole C on 1/14/02 at 19:26 (069997)

LOL! John, believe me I understand where you're coming from on this one!

Carole C

elliott on 1/14/02 at 22:53 (070004)

and I'll bet it worked. :-)

john h on 1/15/02 at 09:49 (070027)

If Carmen has not I bet Julie has.

Julie on 1/15/02 at 15:33 (070050)

Nope. EOM.

Carmen on 1/15/02 at 16:38 (070064)

Elliott you are mean!!! I have only done ONE alternative thing and that is NST. So quit being mean to me!!!!!!
and NO I haven't tried it! (but i would)

Re: How expensive is it?

Kathy on 1/15/02 at 16:40 (070065)

How expensive is it... let's say per session?

elliott on 1/15/02 at 22:33 (070124)

Jokes aside, I really admire your positive attitude, which can really help in the healing process. I almost think you could walk barefoot on hot coals and it really would help. Hard for me right now, as I'm having lots of really serious trouble (feet even more than back). Kinda losing faith a bit that I'll ever heal. The end of this story is I'll try NST, get all fixed up, and then graciously eat crow.

---

Carmen on 1/16/02 at 07:15 (070155)

Yeah for Elliott! I will come with you if you want...you know moral support. ;-)
I HATE that you are feeling so bad lately and whether you like it or not I am sticking you in my prayers tonight along with my dear friend Laurie.