Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Laurie, We're praying for you on your surgery!

Posted by Beverly on 1/13/02 at 22:57 (069933)

Laurie,

I've only been online a bit this week, and so I think I missed something.
I see you have been in terrible pain... worse than usual, and that you are having surgery this week. Just now read that post.

YOu have been through so much. I really hope this surgery helps you. It must be very scarey. I know it would be scarey to me.

I wish you the very best. It sounds like you've had caring doctors.

Praying for you,
Beverly

Re: Laurie, We're praying for you on your surgery!

Laurie R on 1/13/02 at 23:55 (069939)

Hi Beverly , I am not having surgery this week , I am having another spinal injection done this Thursday .... Oh the surgery , I am not sure when I will be having it ... Their was so kind of mix up with my Pod . He has been on vacation . So I have to wait to talk to him on Tuesday . Last week was one very stressful week . Thank you for your prayers and for your support. It really means a lot to me.

How are you doing ? I hope you are not in a lot of pain and that you are feeling better....
Thank you again ..... Laurie R

Re: Laurie!

clara on 1/14/02 at 04:38 (069940)

Hi Laurie!

I am thinking of you, and hoping that the surgery will work out well.
I´m now feeling fine, no hurting feet at all, I am jumping and running around almost as B.P (Before PF) But I´m thinking of you all every day!

Next weekend I´m going to a nice 'self-vacation' at a kind of 'inner-spirit' course (don´t know what you call it in english?), I went on that in oct. and that was fantastic. We learn how to meditate and things like that. I think it has helped me a lot. I have learn a lot (not only good things) about myself. For example to like my self better. And to 'take in' other people.

Thank you for being there, folks, by the way!

Take care - I´ll pray for you
//Clara

Re: To Laurie

Beverly on 1/15/02 at 22:18 (070118)

So no surgery yet. Well, I hope that injection gives you some relief like it did last time. You're one tough cookie to get it. I'm as afraid of shots in painful places as you are of the MRI.

Thanks for asking about me. I'm not in terrible pain... just discomfort. As long as I take extreme rest, I seem to be holding my own... no worse and perhaps a tad bit better. But my ankles are still weak/sick enough that it does not take much to flair up. The brace is starting to rub a sore spot but I know I have to keep wearing it; so I'm going to try moleskin tomorrow and a gel pad over the sore spot.

This brace does seem to help. At least it shows me that almost two years into this, I can learn something new. I'd tried other braces in the past that didn't help all that much.

Mostly, I'm just bored... incredibly bored. I had lunch with a friend Monday and that was great. But just getting out that much was all I could handle for a few days. I miss doing simple stuff like cooking. I love to cook. I'm alternating between Luby's takeouts and ready to eat stuff like cottage cheese and fruit. I am happy to report I'm loosing some weight because I don't have it in me to cook anything, and since I'm allergic to sugar and yeast, I don't have the luxury of just driving through a hamburger joint.

But I do always remind myself that I am so lucky because I work at home and I'm not dealing with the problems people with disabilities face who have to give up nonfootfriendly jobs.

I hope your shot goes well,
Beverly

Re: Beverly and cooking dilemma

Carole C on 1/16/02 at 00:35 (070141)

Beverly, I am trying to think of things that might help with the cooking dilemma. I have struggled with this as well, for years with my arthritis, and once my treatment for that succeeded, then again with my feet; so I know it is a whole lot more difficult situation than it sounds. I don't have all the answers (or even many answers at all yet) but I want you to know that I care. I don't know the degree of your disability; but I want to give you any ideas I can think of in case they might help or might inspire you to think of other ideas maybe.

Would it help if you got a stool and sat on that by the stove? It would be great if you have a table or counter near there with a chair where you can mix and measure. Maybe you can slowly re-organize your kitchen so that the things that you need most in order to cook your favorites, are located in one place where you could sit and do this.

Losing weight is great if you want to, but even so you need proper nutrition in order to heal. Just being overweight doesn't guarantee that you are getting it, as you probably already realize. That's why I'm thinking that if there's any way to arrange things so that you could cook a couple of times a week without injuring your feet further, that might help. It's difficult to eat out when you have allergies like that. Cooking every meal might be too much at first, but even cooking two meals a week might help. Then if that works, you could increase the number that you do.

If you could figure out a couple of simple meals that you like, that are relatively easy to fix and healthy, maybe you could start by gathering the utensils, measuring spoons, pots and pans, or whatever are the exact items you need to cook those particular meals and putting them someplace in the kitchen where you can sit and measure, mix, and so on, whenever you want to cook those particular meals. Then if you can also sit while it's actually cooking, you could cook twice a week. I recommend paper plates and the better quality plastic disposable 'silverware' so that you don't have to wash dishes too, or put them away. Maybe you can prepare some dishes in freezable portions, that you would only have to microwave on the day they are eaten, too. That can cut down on daily cooking.

Also, if you can find a grocery store that has motorized wheelchair cart thingies, they can be very helpful. Try to get a handicapped hangtag for your car and go at off hours so you can get one of the better parking spaces. At home, I got a small dolly from Home Depot and I was carrying my groceries from the car into the house, in a box with the dolly, so that I didn't have to make more than one or two trips.

I hope that some of this helps. (hugs)

P.S., if you or anybody has other ideas to help with cooking for those that can't walk well, I am always very interested! Right now, since my PF is improving, I can cook simple meals. But I take nothing for granted any more.

Carole C

Beverly on 1/16/02 at 10:01 (070179)

Carole,

Thanks for taking so much time in your post. Fortunately, I have the stool and I've used it in the kitchen for a long time and I long ago gave way to disposables.

The stool is ok but not that comfortable. It certainly is better than being on my feet but dangling feet don't feel that good either.

I take so many vitamins I don't worry much about nutrition. I'm so thrilled to be loosing weight. I'm getting one good meat and veggie meal a day because I usually get a Luby's takeout. Luby's is good for me because on the LuAnn the portions are modest.

I'm only a little overweight but I keep hoping that if I could get about another 20 pounds off it would make a big difference. I don't expect that to fix me but hopefully it will help.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: To Beverly

Necee on 1/18/02 at 07:53 (070362)

Best of luck to you Beverly ! I'll keep you in my prayers.
Necee

Re: Laurie, We're praying for you on your surgery!

Laurie R on 1/13/02 at 23:55 (069939)

Hi Beverly , I am not having surgery this week , I am having another spinal injection done this Thursday .... Oh the surgery , I am not sure when I will be having it ... Their was so kind of mix up with my Pod . He has been on vacation . So I have to wait to talk to him on Tuesday . Last week was one very stressful week . Thank you for your prayers and for your support. It really means a lot to me.

How are you doing ? I hope you are not in a lot of pain and that you are feeling better....
Thank you again ..... Laurie R

Re: Laurie!

clara on 1/14/02 at 04:38 (069940)

Hi Laurie!

I am thinking of you, and hoping that the surgery will work out well.
I´m now feeling fine, no hurting feet at all, I am jumping and running around almost as B.P (Before PF) But I´m thinking of you all every day!

Next weekend I´m going to a nice 'self-vacation' at a kind of 'inner-spirit' course (don´t know what you call it in english?), I went on that in oct. and that was fantastic. We learn how to meditate and things like that. I think it has helped me a lot. I have learn a lot (not only good things) about myself. For example to like my self better. And to 'take in' other people.

Thank you for being there, folks, by the way!

Take care - I´ll pray for you
//Clara

Re: To Laurie

Beverly on 1/15/02 at 22:18 (070118)

So no surgery yet. Well, I hope that injection gives you some relief like it did last time. You're one tough cookie to get it. I'm as afraid of shots in painful places as you are of the MRI.

Thanks for asking about me. I'm not in terrible pain... just discomfort. As long as I take extreme rest, I seem to be holding my own... no worse and perhaps a tad bit better. But my ankles are still weak/sick enough that it does not take much to flair up. The brace is starting to rub a sore spot but I know I have to keep wearing it; so I'm going to try moleskin tomorrow and a gel pad over the sore spot.

This brace does seem to help. At least it shows me that almost two years into this, I can learn something new. I'd tried other braces in the past that didn't help all that much.

Mostly, I'm just bored... incredibly bored. I had lunch with a friend Monday and that was great. But just getting out that much was all I could handle for a few days. I miss doing simple stuff like cooking. I love to cook. I'm alternating between Luby's takeouts and ready to eat stuff like cottage cheese and fruit. I am happy to report I'm loosing some weight because I don't have it in me to cook anything, and since I'm allergic to sugar and yeast, I don't have the luxury of just driving through a hamburger joint.

But I do always remind myself that I am so lucky because I work at home and I'm not dealing with the problems people with disabilities face who have to give up nonfootfriendly jobs.

I hope your shot goes well,
Beverly

Carole C on 1/16/02 at 00:35 (070141)

Beverly, I am trying to think of things that might help with the cooking dilemma. I have struggled with this as well, for years with my arthritis, and once my treatment for that succeeded, then again with my feet; so I know it is a whole lot more difficult situation than it sounds. I don't have all the answers (or even many answers at all yet) but I want you to know that I care. I don't know the degree of your disability; but I want to give you any ideas I can think of in case they might help or might inspire you to think of other ideas maybe.

Would it help if you got a stool and sat on that by the stove? It would be great if you have a table or counter near there with a chair where you can mix and measure. Maybe you can slowly re-organize your kitchen so that the things that you need most in order to cook your favorites, are located in one place where you could sit and do this.

Losing weight is great if you want to, but even so you need proper nutrition in order to heal. Just being overweight doesn't guarantee that you are getting it, as you probably already realize. That's why I'm thinking that if there's any way to arrange things so that you could cook a couple of times a week without injuring your feet further, that might help. It's difficult to eat out when you have allergies like that. Cooking every meal might be too much at first, but even cooking two meals a week might help. Then if that works, you could increase the number that you do.

If you could figure out a couple of simple meals that you like, that are relatively easy to fix and healthy, maybe you could start by gathering the utensils, measuring spoons, pots and pans, or whatever are the exact items you need to cook those particular meals and putting them someplace in the kitchen where you can sit and measure, mix, and so on, whenever you want to cook those particular meals. Then if you can also sit while it's actually cooking, you could cook twice a week. I recommend paper plates and the better quality plastic disposable 'silverware' so that you don't have to wash dishes too, or put them away. Maybe you can prepare some dishes in freezable portions, that you would only have to microwave on the day they are eaten, too. That can cut down on daily cooking.

Also, if you can find a grocery store that has motorized wheelchair cart thingies, they can be very helpful. Try to get a handicapped hangtag for your car and go at off hours so you can get one of the better parking spaces. At home, I got a small dolly from Home Depot and I was carrying my groceries from the car into the house, in a box with the dolly, so that I didn't have to make more than one or two trips.

I hope that some of this helps. (hugs)

P.S., if you or anybody has other ideas to help with cooking for those that can't walk well, I am always very interested! Right now, since my PF is improving, I can cook simple meals. But I take nothing for granted any more.

Carole C

Beverly on 1/16/02 at 10:01 (070179)

Carole,

Thanks for taking so much time in your post. Fortunately, I have the stool and I've used it in the kitchen for a long time and I long ago gave way to disposables.

The stool is ok but not that comfortable. It certainly is better than being on my feet but dangling feet don't feel that good either.

I take so many vitamins I don't worry much about nutrition. I'm so thrilled to be loosing weight. I'm getting one good meat and veggie meal a day because I usually get a Luby's takeout. Luby's is good for me because on the LuAnn the portions are modest.

I'm only a little overweight but I keep hoping that if I could get about another 20 pounds off it would make a big difference. I don't expect that to fix me but hopefully it will help.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: To Beverly

Necee on 1/18/02 at 07:53 (070362)

Best of luck to you Beverly ! I'll keep you in my prayers.
Necee