Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF/orthotics

Posted by Aimee T. on 1/14/02 at 07:50 (069949)

I have had plantar fascitis for 18 months now. I have tried many kinds of orthotics and cannot tolerate anything. My doctor has said that some people cannot tolerate orthotics. I cannot even tolerate socks that are too tight. I'm afraid if I don't find something to help with support, I will never be normal again. I am now in physical therapy. I've been about 15 times. I've had ultrasound, cortizone treatments, and I am always doing stretching exercise to try to feel better. I use ice when inflamed, and lots of muscle rub to try and loosen by calf muscle. I've tried medication which does not seem to help. I can go on and on about what I've done but I am still very limited on what I can do. What else should I try?

Re: PF/orthotics

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/14/02 at 15:49 (069969)

There are a number of reasons for difficulty with orthotic tolerance but the biggest reason is a tight gastrosoleus achilles complex. Has your doctor checked that? Have you tried night splints?
Ed

Aimee-T on 1/16/02 at 07:40 (070158)

Thank you for your response. I began last week with a new physical therapist who agrees that tight gastrosoleus muscles are the root cause of
treatments not working. My treatment yesterday seemed to really help as he is trying to get my stiff joints moving again and really work the calf muscles. I have not tried the night splints yet. I may try them if I don't see any improvements, but I'm hopeful with my new therapist. He also gave me more exercises that seem to be helping. Thanks so much for your information. I hope this is an answer so I can get back to normal activity! Aimee T.

Renee H on 1/18/02 at 08:27 (070367)

The night splint isn't a lot of fun. However it really helped me. Worth a try.

Aimee-T on 1/18/02 at 09:15 (070370)

Renee H. and Ed - Thanks for the recommendation for night splints. I've seen many types offered. Any suggestions on which type would be the best to purchase? Thanks again. Aimee T.

Renee H on 1/18/02 at 13:10 (070399)

Sorry, no. Mine was fairly irritating. I don't know what brand. The velcro always came undone. Sometimes I'd actually take it off in my sleep! It helped a lot within the first week though. I did have some ankle pain and shin splints for a while until I got used to it. I switched off from one foot to the other. Good luck.

Re: PF/orthotics -- night splints

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/19/02 at 15:30 (070542)

There are a number of different brands of night splints. I prefer the N'Ice and Stretch mentioned by Scott on this site. It is probably the most comfortable one. Comfort is very important if you are expected to wear it to bed at night.

Patients with tight achilles tendons who obtain the most rapid results are often those who do several modalities simultaneously--night splints + stretching (non-weight bearing) + deep tissue massage + physical therapy...
Ed

Aimee-T on 1/22/02 at 17:26 (070905)

Ed,

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I just ordered the N'Ice and Stretch from this website. I am doing all that you have suggested. I am seeing some results already, and I will hopefully be able to do some normal activities come springtime. Thanks again for you help. Aimee T.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/14/02 at 15:49 (069969)

There are a number of reasons for difficulty with orthotic tolerance but the biggest reason is a tight gastrosoleus achilles complex. Has your doctor checked that? Have you tried night splints?
Ed

Aimee-T on 1/16/02 at 07:40 (070158)

Thank you for your response. I began last week with a new physical therapist who agrees that tight gastrosoleus muscles are the root cause of
treatments not working. My treatment yesterday seemed to really help as he is trying to get my stiff joints moving again and really work the calf muscles. I have not tried the night splints yet. I may try them if I don't see any improvements, but I'm hopeful with my new therapist. He also gave me more exercises that seem to be helping. Thanks so much for your information. I hope this is an answer so I can get back to normal activity! Aimee T.

Renee H on 1/18/02 at 08:27 (070367)

The night splint isn't a lot of fun. However it really helped me. Worth a try.

Aimee-T on 1/18/02 at 09:15 (070370)

Renee H. and Ed - Thanks for the recommendation for night splints. I've seen many types offered. Any suggestions on which type would be the best to purchase? Thanks again. Aimee T.

Renee H on 1/18/02 at 13:10 (070399)

Sorry, no. Mine was fairly irritating. I don't know what brand. The velcro always came undone. Sometimes I'd actually take it off in my sleep! It helped a lot within the first week though. I did have some ankle pain and shin splints for a while until I got used to it. I switched off from one foot to the other. Good luck.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/19/02 at 15:30 (070542)

There are a number of different brands of night splints. I prefer the N'Ice and Stretch mentioned by Scott on this site. It is probably the most comfortable one. Comfort is very important if you are expected to wear it to bed at night.

Patients with tight achilles tendons who obtain the most rapid results are often those who do several modalities simultaneously--night splints + stretching (non-weight bearing) + deep tissue massage + physical therapy...
Ed

Aimee-T on 1/22/02 at 17:26 (070905)

Ed,

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I just ordered the N'Ice and Stretch from this website. I am doing all that you have suggested. I am seeing some results already, and I will hopefully be able to do some normal activities come springtime. Thanks again for you help. Aimee T.