Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

cortisone shot

Posted by John S. on 1/14/02 at 17:46 (069986)

I had a shot Oct2001,pain felief lasted 6 weeks. would a second shot have a cumulative effect? Would it help at all?

Re: cortisone shot

Nicole K. on 1/11/02 at 14:38 (069650)

Hi, I have had probably at least 20 cortisone shots in my 6 yrs. with pf/heel spurs. It depends on the doc, I think... I had a lot of them with this one doc who used a very long needle and it stung like h*ll when it went in (the cortisone). He also dug around with the needle sometimes until he found where he wanted to give me the shot.

Then, I went to another doctor who gave me shots and it was no big deal. I didn't feel it going in because he said they 'neutralized' the cortisone. Not exactly sure what 'neutralizing' it is, but if you can get it like this, it's fine.

Afterwards, I have found that I am kind of numb from it. My heel feels like it's swollen from it, even though it's not. Then, in my experience, the pain goes away for a period of time. The longest period of time I had without pain from a cortisone shot was 5 days; the shortest, less than one day. Ideally this stuff makes your pain go away forever, in which case, it's worth any trouble you might have from the actual shot. Good luck.

John S. on 1/12/02 at 15:22 (069768)

I've had two cortisone shots both of which were horrifically painful. pain relief from the first was 5 years , the second was only 6 weeks--now the doctor tells me I could get another one, saying it would have a cumlative effect to relieve pain--in other words, adding to the one I had in late October,2001. I'm finding this hard to believe--what do you think, doctors?

Pam B on 1/15/02 at 06:08 (070010)

Yes if the first one did the second one should also.......but there are cases where it does not......I have had four in one foot and one in the other foot since Oct with only a few days of relief from them.........so it is different for everybody and it depends what is wrong an how long you have had it.......good luck to you......Pam B

Mahatmelissama on 1/16/02 at 14:02 (070204)

Just wondering...

Renee H on 1/18/02 at 08:25 (070366)

Hi,

Before you go and get a bunch of cortizone injected into you, look into what it can do to your body. Most doctors will not tell you the possible effects. It is very hard on your organs and eyes. I've heard that one shot a year is the most your body should be able to handle.

Renee

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/19/02 at 15:25 (070539)

We generally limit cortisone in a particular joint to 3 to 4 shots per year. There are a number of different substances that are collectively termed 'cortisone.' The injections used in tendons and joints usually have a minimal systemic effect.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/19/02 at 15:25 (070540)

The effect of a second shot could be beneficial but not cumulative.
Ed

Nicole K. on 1/11/02 at 14:38 (069650)

Hi, I have had probably at least 20 cortisone shots in my 6 yrs. with pf/heel spurs. It depends on the doc, I think... I had a lot of them with this one doc who used a very long needle and it stung like h*ll when it went in (the cortisone). He also dug around with the needle sometimes until he found where he wanted to give me the shot.

Then, I went to another doctor who gave me shots and it was no big deal. I didn't feel it going in because he said they 'neutralized' the cortisone. Not exactly sure what 'neutralizing' it is, but if you can get it like this, it's fine.

Afterwards, I have found that I am kind of numb from it. My heel feels like it's swollen from it, even though it's not. Then, in my experience, the pain goes away for a period of time. The longest period of time I had without pain from a cortisone shot was 5 days; the shortest, less than one day. Ideally this stuff makes your pain go away forever, in which case, it's worth any trouble you might have from the actual shot. Good luck.

John S. on 1/12/02 at 15:22 (069768)

I've had two cortisone shots both of which were horrifically painful. pain relief from the first was 5 years , the second was only 6 weeks--now the doctor tells me I could get another one, saying it would have a cumlative effect to relieve pain--in other words, adding to the one I had in late October,2001. I'm finding this hard to believe--what do you think, doctors?

Pam B on 1/15/02 at 06:08 (070010)

Yes if the first one did the second one should also.......but there are cases where it does not......I have had four in one foot and one in the other foot since Oct with only a few days of relief from them.........so it is different for everybody and it depends what is wrong an how long you have had it.......good luck to you......Pam B

Mahatmelissama on 1/16/02 at 14:02 (070204)

Just wondering...

Renee H on 1/18/02 at 08:25 (070366)

Hi,

Before you go and get a bunch of cortizone injected into you, look into what it can do to your body. Most doctors will not tell you the possible effects. It is very hard on your organs and eyes. I've heard that one shot a year is the most your body should be able to handle.

Renee

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/19/02 at 15:25 (070539)

We generally limit cortisone in a particular joint to 3 to 4 shots per year. There are a number of different substances that are collectively termed 'cortisone.' The injections used in tendons and joints usually have a minimal systemic effect.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/19/02 at 15:25 (070540)

The effect of a second shot could be beneficial but not cumulative.
Ed