Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

CPT code for stretching device

Posted by Scott R on 1/14/02 at 17:52 (069987)

Does anyone know a insurance code to use for the pro stretch.

Re: CPT code for stretching device

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/15/02 at 08:45 (070019)

Hi,

This may be considered a durable medical piece of equipment. I looked in a HCPSC level two book and couldn't find any type of stretching device . The company that makes the device will know exactly what if any code is available, so I would suggest calling the company.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/19/02 at 15:52 (070545)

Scott:

CPT codes are generally used for medical procedures but HCPCS codes are use for devices and supplies (DME or 'durable medical equipment). The night splints can be considered a form of AFO so L1930 may be appropriate. When a code does not exist for an item, the appropriate procedure is to find a code that is the closest or occasionally a code for an 'unlisted item' is used.

I would probably use the code, E0935, Passive motion exercise device, as the closest thing I can find for the Pro Stretch.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/15/02 at 08:45 (070019)

Hi,

This may be considered a durable medical piece of equipment. I looked in a HCPSC level two book and couldn't find any type of stretching device . The company that makes the device will know exactly what if any code is available, so I would suggest calling the company.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/19/02 at 15:52 (070545)

Scott:

CPT codes are generally used for medical procedures but HCPCS codes are use for devices and supplies (DME or 'durable medical equipment). The night splints can be considered a form of AFO so L1930 may be appropriate. When a code does not exist for an item, the appropriate procedure is to find a code that is the closest or occasionally a code for an 'unlisted item' is used.

I would probably use the code, E0935, Passive motion exercise device, as the closest thing I can find for the Pro Stretch.
Ed