Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Elliott...Why not a standing EMG?

Posted by Monte on 1/15/02 at 08:36 (070018)

My doctor is trying to schedule me for this exam. Two doctors already said it is the best way to get accurate results. Please let me know. Thank you

Re: Elliott...Why not a standing EMG?

BrianG on 1/15/02 at 09:28 (070023)

I've had two EMG's, neither one was standing postion. Maybe this is something new, or it's because of what they are looking for in your particular case?

BCG

PS These two doctors, they wouldn't be partners, would they?

Re: Monte

Carmen on 1/15/02 at 12:48 (070041)

Have you asked the docs yet about the standing exam? Dr. Z or Dr. Ed?
Dr. Reid may know as well...

Re: you mean WHY a standing EMG?

elliott on 1/15/02 at 13:08 (070044)

I presume you mean the nerve conduction velocity (NCV) part of the test, not the EMG (muscle) part of he test, which is also given sitting/lying.

The standard NCV is given in a sort of lying-down position (you can prop up your head and shoulders with your arms if you like), legs somewhat bent, body perhaps turned to the side so the tested leg is higher up or at least not pressed on by the other. The foot must be angled properly too, and a good tester will change the angle in the middle of the test. This is how my tester, considered one of the best in my state (not WV :-)) did it, and how others who know what they're doing do it. (There's another kind of nerve conduction test, QST or PSSD, where you sit with your legs hanging over the edge in freefall; still not standing.) Presumably, this is so that one can test properly for nerve conductivity. If you stand, you mess it all up. Sounds pretty obvious. You mentioned in one of your posts that your primary pain is when standing, and maybe that's what's on their mind, but I'd be very skeptical of the readings in that position anyway.

---

Monte on 1/15/02 at 13:12 (070045)

Thanks Elliott...I get so confused. I don't to go for stuff that I don't need and that will hurt. I will try to find out more.

Re: Elliott...Why not a standing EMG?

BrianG on 1/15/02 at 09:28 (070023)

I've had two EMG's, neither one was standing postion. Maybe this is something new, or it's because of what they are looking for in your particular case?

BCG

PS These two doctors, they wouldn't be partners, would they?

Re: Monte

Carmen on 1/15/02 at 12:48 (070041)

Have you asked the docs yet about the standing exam? Dr. Z or Dr. Ed?
Dr. Reid may know as well...

elliott on 1/15/02 at 13:08 (070044)

I presume you mean the nerve conduction velocity (NCV) part of the test, not the EMG (muscle) part of he test, which is also given sitting/lying.

The standard NCV is given in a sort of lying-down position (you can prop up your head and shoulders with your arms if you like), legs somewhat bent, body perhaps turned to the side so the tested leg is higher up or at least not pressed on by the other. The foot must be angled properly too, and a good tester will change the angle in the middle of the test. This is how my tester, considered one of the best in my state (not WV :-)) did it, and how others who know what they're doing do it. (There's another kind of nerve conduction test, QST or PSSD, where you sit with your legs hanging over the edge in freefall; still not standing.) Presumably, this is so that one can test properly for nerve conductivity. If you stand, you mess it all up. Sounds pretty obvious. You mentioned in one of your posts that your primary pain is when standing, and maybe that's what's on their mind, but I'd be very skeptical of the readings in that position anyway.

---

Monte on 1/15/02 at 13:12 (070045)

Thanks Elliott...I get so confused. I don't to go for stuff that I don't need and that will hurt. I will try to find out more.