Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal Tunnel Surgery recovery

Posted by Bob K on 1/15/02 at 13:02 (070043)

I had surgery to relieve the tarsal tunnel 1 week ago as a result of severe foot trauma - dislocated ankle when falling off a ladder. The initial fall was 6 weeks ago. The surgery uncovered a vein that ruptured and caused a blood clot in (or on) the tunnel. The surgeon tied off the small vein and removed the clot. He inspected the entire area, with a 6-7' incision along the tunnel. Now, after the surgery, I think some of the most severe pain has subsided, but I continue to get painful nerve pulsing, especially when on my crutches for 10 minutes or more. I spend a lot of time with my foot raised, on the bed or couch,but but still experience sometimes significant pain. Can anyone tell me how long this will go on? What about returning to work? I feel like I should be getting back to work, but I can barely stand 10 minutes sitting at my dinner table, not to mention the thought of sitting at my desk. Thanks, Bob

Re: Tarsal Tunnel Surgery recovery

cindyp on 1/15/02 at 20:54 (070110)

You will not be going to work anytime soon sorry to say. I had my surgery on 7 June and it was around 8 weeks when I got a shoe on. I still once in a blue moon have nervy pain. I had to keep the foot up for about 6 weeks. It takes awhile to recover. The only time I was on my crutches for first two weeks was bathroom and a bath. I say again it takes time and lots of it. do what the dr. tells you or the surgery will have been for naught.

Bob K on 1/16/02 at 08:57 (070166)

Cindy, thanks for your insight. I'm in a cast since I also had a screw inserted into a chip on the talus bone during the same surgery session, exterior of the ankle. I was given some guidelines on exercise, leg lifts, etc., while laying down. Do you do anything to reduce muscle atrophy, or did you avoid exercise to give it more recovery time? Bob

Bob K on 1/16/02 at 09:13 (070169)

Cindy, another question for you, if you dont mind responding (or anyone else!). I was taking vicadin (pain killer) at night to sleep, even though I can barely get 4-5 hours because of the discomfort. Last night was the first night I didn't take the vicadin, & I seemed to get about the same amount of sleep. I also take Neurontin, which seems to control some of the pulsing.What did you do for the pain, take no drugs & deal with it, or narcotics??

cindyp on 1/16/02 at 09:44 (070175)

One month of coediene and that was it after the surgery. Before surgery they had me on bottles of pills and after awhile I realized this isn't gonna do it for me because it was not solving my problem. But since the stuff with the ankle too you probably need it. who was your dr. if i may ask?

Bob K on 1/16/02 at 10:15 (070181)

My Doctor is Tom Mazur of Ruggeiro & Associates in Paoli, PA. He's good. He's an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in foot & ankle procedures. He's Very confident in his approach & has a great personality to make you comfortable. How's your Dr?

cindyp on 1/16/02 at 12:16 (070198)

Well I am not under a dr's care anymore but my dr. was dr. george quill a orthopedic surgeon who was a foot and ankle reconstructive surgeon. Best in Louisville, KY. Went to 9 dr.'s before I found him the rest were unwilling to treat me except drugs and that wasn't going to do it for me.

cindyp on 1/15/02 at 20:54 (070110)

You will not be going to work anytime soon sorry to say. I had my surgery on 7 June and it was around 8 weeks when I got a shoe on. I still once in a blue moon have nervy pain. I had to keep the foot up for about 6 weeks. It takes awhile to recover. The only time I was on my crutches for first two weeks was bathroom and a bath. I say again it takes time and lots of it. do what the dr. tells you or the surgery will have been for naught.

Bob K on 1/16/02 at 08:57 (070166)

Cindy, thanks for your insight. I'm in a cast since I also had a screw inserted into a chip on the talus bone during the same surgery session, exterior of the ankle. I was given some guidelines on exercise, leg lifts, etc., while laying down. Do you do anything to reduce muscle atrophy, or did you avoid exercise to give it more recovery time? Bob

Bob K on 1/16/02 at 09:13 (070169)

Cindy, another question for you, if you dont mind responding (or anyone else!). I was taking vicadin (pain killer) at night to sleep, even though I can barely get 4-5 hours because of the discomfort. Last night was the first night I didn't take the vicadin, & I seemed to get about the same amount of sleep. I also take Neurontin, which seems to control some of the pulsing.What did you do for the pain, take no drugs & deal with it, or narcotics??

cindyp on 1/16/02 at 09:44 (070175)

One month of coediene and that was it after the surgery. Before surgery they had me on bottles of pills and after awhile I realized this isn't gonna do it for me because it was not solving my problem. But since the stuff with the ankle too you probably need it. who was your dr. if i may ask?

Bob K on 1/16/02 at 10:15 (070181)

My Doctor is Tom Mazur of Ruggeiro & Associates in Paoli, PA. He's good. He's an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in foot & ankle procedures. He's Very confident in his approach & has a great personality to make you comfortable. How's your Dr?

cindyp on 1/16/02 at 12:16 (070198)

Well I am not under a dr's care anymore but my dr. was dr. george quill a orthopedic surgeon who was a foot and ankle reconstructive surgeon. Best in Louisville, KY. Went to 9 dr.'s before I found him the rest were unwilling to treat me except drugs and that wasn't going to do it for me.